[Discussion] Item Stats

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
I'm developing my item system for an RPG, I have 3 "tiers" of items: Basic, Enchanted and Legendary. I have several hero classes, but I don't want them all just using the same items. It doesn't make sense for a ranged class to use a sword as their main weapon, so I'm trying to figure out how to make the Basic items unique. The ideas I've come up for so far:

Option 1:
Only certain classes can use certain items. I.E. Only ranged classes can use bows, only melee classes can use swords.

Option 2:
Each type of item provides unique bonuses to certain classes. For example: Bows would provide +5% crit chance to Ranged classes, Swords would provide +5% crit to melee classes, etc.

Option 3:
Each type provides stat bonuses that match the respective classes. For example: Bows provide +Agility, Swords provide +Strength, etc.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Dirac

Reaction score
As many games do, i would go with 3.
If you have a caster you would obviously go for caster items as they greatly increase your performance, it shouldn't be you who controls what items players get, they should do it themselves.
Also because you're working on an RPG i wouldn't limit myself to w3's basic stats, i would have many (spell reduc, armor pen, tenacity, dodge etc)

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
If your RPG has elements of "Magic Damage" or "Magic Defense" or such, you could give those properties to Caster classes, so Melee classes wouldn't really get them.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Yes, I have several unique stats, including Spell Power, Critical Strike, Dodge, etc. Wands/Staves will have +Intelligence for Spell Power. I'm just trying to figure out how to differentiate between normal Physical Weapons/Armor, like Swords, Axes, and Bows.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.