Does the quality change when you burn a DVD?

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
Is it true that if I burn a movie file with HD 1080p resolution, into a DVD, the HD quality is gone to waste?

I mean, how does the quality change when I burn a file into a DVD?
I'm using ConvertXToDvd, which seems to be a rather commonly used tool.

Is there any difference between burning a 760p movie file and a 1080p movie file? Is the quality almost the same once it's burnt into a DVD?

Edit:
Another question, if a movie is out of sync (audio), could it be the video player's fault too?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I think it should be burned at the same quality, unless the application you're using scales the quality/resolution down; I've seen free ones do that.

You'll notice better quality with the 1080p movie, particularly if your screen is large.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
The out of sync thing can be caused by the player. Try a few other players, and another codec pack as well. VLC, GOM Player for players and K-Lite Codec Pack is one of the best codec packs out there.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
it depends how you burn it, you can make it not lose any quality, but then the movie length will be rather short

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
If you convert it into dvd video format, then it will.
If you just drag the file and burn it into dvd, then it won't.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Okay, I can already tell you you're burning torrented files. ;)

However, if you legally own the movie, then burning it won't loose any noticeable quality, as it burns exactly what it's told to burn. Out of sync, if you legally own it of course, would be the player. Try VLC, it's a pretty good player and supports nearly all filetypes.

Exfiltrate

Reaction score
Yes, it will lose quite a bit of quality if you burn it do a video dvd (1080p to 480p) Video dvd's only support 480p. Like others said if you put the file on to a dvd for watching on other computers, the file's quality will not be affected.

And yes, there is a difference between 720p (not 760) and 1080p. 720p has a resolution of 1280x720, and 1080p has a resolution of either 1440x1080 (anamorphic) or 1920x1080, so if you are on a 1080p screen, you will probably be able to tell the difference between the two.

If you are playing HD video, a slow computer could cause the video and audio to play out of sync. If the video and audio are actually out of sync you can use vlc, and set an audio delay to get the video into sync.

I hope I answered all your questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.