Dungeons and Dragons

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Anyone here geek enough to play it? ;)

I actually Started it a week ago, the group gets togeather every friday. Its pretty fun. I bought myself some cool dice though I feel like I will be dead soon :p . Im a halfling mage with an armour class of 10 (worst) and 10 Health!

Last time I played a flying creature clipped me with its foot and took me down 50%!

I donno, some say its too geeky and things like that. But really, you don't dress up like your character and your not talking like them, you just deside what to do based on the knowledge that your character has. :)

Its like playing a Video game really. But its suprisingly fun.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Me and some friends plan on playing a different variation of the same basic nerd genre.

So to answer your question, yes I am, but not with you :)

People who say it's too geeky are really just people withou any imagination. This game takes an imagination and some creativity. You have to make the video game up as you go along, it's not some computer telling you what you can and cannot do. You can do anything, really.

I have no shame playing stuff like this. Although, yes, it's still geeky. Coming from a geeky teenager who'll play it :) [Thus, I'm allowed]

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Me and 3 of my friends play it, usually at least once a week, but sometimes every day. I'm the DM, and I gotta tell you, it's a fair bit of work to be DM, though I find it pretty fun. I agree, it is extremely geeky, but I am a geek, so what do you expect? At least we don't larp, heh.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to play it back in the day. I don't like to play it old school now with graph paper and such. They should have enhanced the game with technology with like holographic map graphs and holographic creature battles like in Star Wars. Smellovision and that kind of stuff :D

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> you don't dress up like your character and your not talking like them
No, the fact you don't doesn't mean nobody does that stuff :p
(wasn't referring to myself here, I don't play at all, mostly because it's hard to find in my country)

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Back in middle school we had a club every friday after school.
I kinda stoped going, but it was fun. My friend plays a variation of the game called "Gunk" and I've yet to play it.
It is fun.

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
the only geeky part is that your using your IMAGINATION

you dont use you're IMAGINATION in video games. if you do, youre a nerd. :p

Prometheus

Reaction score
Ah, so that pretty much makes anyone rich who started their own company a geek.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score

Your comment insults me... So do you want to taste my wine?

EDIT: +rep to whoever gets the reference first

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score

well i guess people who play: stacraft custom maps, rpgs, and warcraft 3 are nerds. the last time i checked you play warcraft :rolleyes: (Im not trying to offend)

Rad

Reaction score
You should play Neverwinter Nights 2. It's alot like D&D. Very customizeable characters, dice rolls, saving throws etc. Fun game too.

And there isn't as much effort needed to actually play the game.

I would never find myself actually playing pen and paper D&D, but if there were more RPG's out there that used the D&D character customization system and all that stuff, I'd definately play those.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Several years ago I was playing a lot with friends as a kid. I even bought $200 worth of custom books and some other stuff.

Since then I played like twice in 5 years.

Sajberhippie

Reaction score
Anyone here geek enough to play it? ;)

I actually Started it a week ago, the group gets togeather every friday. Its pretty fun. I bought myself some cool dice though I feel like I will be dead soon :p . Im a halfling mage with an armour class of 10 (worst) and 10 Health!

Last time I played a flying creature clipped me with its foot and took me down 50%!

I donno, some say its too geeky and things like that. But really, you don't dress up like your character and your not talking like them, you just deside what to do based on the knowledge that your character has. :)

Its like playing a Video game really. But its suprisingly fun.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!
Dungeons and dragons is the king, although I don't agree it's like a video game (freer than a video game could ever be).
But I am amazed at how you've gotten a wizard or sorcerer (a halfling, no less!) to have 10 armor class and 10 health, if you're level 1.
Did you put a natural 8 in your dexterity, a natural 16 in constitution and got the toughness feat? 10 hit points is amazing for a first level mage, it's good for a second-level too.
10 AC is horrible. Get yourself Magic Armor, in scrolls if need be. 14 is at least a little better.
A good idea might be to invest in Acid too. Although you've only got 10 dex (from what I understood), they only require touch attacks, and as a halfling, you get +1 attack bonus with thrown weapons (because the little guys have a hobby of throwing rocks!) so hitting shouldn't be a big problem, at least not versus clumsy enemies.
Also, try to get Summon spells when you've gained a few levels. While you're small, they aren't. You can hide behind them, or ride them.

As you can see, I'm little of a power gamer (though only a little; I don't compromise the role to be better, I just do the best of the role I have) but Halfling Wizards are my favourite, after Gnome Wizard/Rogues (Mad scientists blowing stuff up is teh shit!).

You should play Neverwinter Nights 2. It's alot like D&D.

A computer game can never be free, and thus, looses the PnP experience. You can try everything in D&D, not just the things the game-makers (or DM) thought of. You may not always succeed, but it's fun as hell to try. "The hobgoblins are closing in on you, their armor clanking in their frenzied steps. As you run, you see how the forest opens up around you, and you reach a ledge of the mountain. It's a steep cliff, a fall of at least a hundred and twenty feet, and the bugbears are getting closer".
Now, in a computer RPG, there would probably be the option to either fight them, or trying to climb down and hope not to fall.
When I encountered this situation, I cast a Silent Image to make it seem as if the mountain continued and that I was at the ledge (like, 50 feet out), and then I jumped down from the cliff, while drinking a potion of Feather Fall (so as to fall slowly). The sight of three hobgoblins crushed against the cliffs made my chaotic neutral heart tingle.
Few CRPG's could offer that option. Or the option to just jump out, flap your hands, and hope for the best.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Back when I was around 10 me and my bro, and like 5 friends of ours bought a D n D monster book and used a pokemon game board. The board was kind of like candy land... anyway every time you got further you would have to fight a monster from the book... we then learned how to really play it. But at that point we got bored, and our dungeon master (is that what they call it?) quit because we would always screw with him (ex: make up random abilities every time we get in trouble to win :D, or just neuter the enemy, seemed to work every time).

But yeah, that's the nerdiest thing I've ever done probably :rolleyes:

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
i never used to play but i have a lot oof the books. i just love math and looking up all the numbers in the table, recording things and calculating different instances.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
ah, quite fun.

also,

I started at level 4 (I joined a little later into the campaign) and I roll 1D4 for hp. Also we are using Advanced Dungeons and Dragons II. I did get myself two spells, shield and armor.

Armor sets my armor class to 6, shield only protects my front but gives me 2 agianst thrown weapons, 3 agianst ranged piercing weapons and 4 agianst the rest. Also scored a ring of invisability :) . So armour class ranges from 10 (being worst) to -10 (being best).

----------------

Anyway, it was great, we attacked this barracks place, and we end up getting swarmed by lizard men, wights sp?) and two lizzard kings. Well, there is some distance from the lizards, so we go in, me, a dwarven warrior, a paladin, and a priest guy. now, there was not just 2 or three of them, there was llike over 50 of them.

Luckily all the wights got turned by the paladin and the priest, though I cast magic missle at one of the guys with bows, then they all aimed at me. Neadless to say I got hurt. Next the dwarf used a charge on his helmet to cast fire ball taking out 17 of the lizard men. Then the kings showed up, well, tried to blind one, resisted it. Then the other jumped infront of the paladin, he had this huge trident, so I casted ray of enfeeblement, didn't resit it either! So he couldn't hold it up, causing it to drop, so he had to fight bre had, so basically, he died quick.

I ran out of spells and turned out the doors to hide, stuff happens, basically, they are getting beat up badly. Well, I had these beans, quite the chaotic item they are. Use a bean and it could be anything. So i peaked around the corner and tossed it into the middle of a group of lizard men, I got lucky, sent about 17 or more to the elemental plane of air. Then in a few turns the other lizardmen remaining run and the king dies. :) Just got to look for loot next time.

Prometheus

Reaction score
We should try to set up a DND thing here, like maybe in the IRC.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Since I'm the DM of my little group here, I'll nominate myself to be the DM if you like. If someone else has done it a bunch though, that might be better, I'm still a bit inexperienced at DMing, having only done a campaign or two overall. If so, I'm happy to roll a character to play. I only know the normal D&D 3.5 normal ruleset, but I'm sure I can adapt to anything else if nobody wants to do that. Either way, I'm in.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
I would give it a shot, though, we would need to ask someone to create a rolling command, (/1D4 and /2D12+6, for example) or something so that everything would turn out well. We would also need to make characters one on one with the DM so that he knows we don't cheat in the creation of our characters.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Not too hard, let the DM roll for us maybe?
I nominate Agent, nuthing against ya Pine but he beats you experience-wise. :D
Also, because we have some uber awesome graphix people, characters should be too hard if they feel like helping. Maybe even a system in flash if we really want to go all out. :thup: :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.