Sci/Tech Experts Warn of 'Terminator'-Style Military-Robot Rebellion

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Autonomous military robots that will fight future wars must be programmed to live by a strict warrior code, or the world risks untold atrocities at their steely hands.

The stark warning — which includes discussion of a "Terminator"-style scenario in which robots turn on their human masters — is part of a hefty report funded by and prepared for the U.S. Navy's high-tech and secretive Office of Naval Research.

The report, the first serious work of its kind on military robot ethics, envisages a fast-approaching era where robots are smart enough to make battlefield decisions that are at present the preserve of humans.

Eventually, it notes, robots could come to display significant cognitive advantages over Homo sapiens soldiers.

Want to know more?

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Fox news, go figure...

I'm sure if they made these things for the Army and such, there would be a remote "shut em all down" button for the president, or something along that line.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
These News are shit.
I mean, there arn't games where you could voice control Bots or something... It's so hard to imagine that "Robots" should be knowing what to do, despite even walking properly in difficult terrain (If you'd compare to these test Robots)...
From where is this Article?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Couldn't we just use an EMP or something like that? Obviously it would have to be out of the control of the robots, a "master switch" like seph it oth suggested.

EMP would work, unless they will be made to be immune to them :eek:

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
Couldn't we just use an EMP or something like that? Obviously it would have to be out of the control of the robots, a "master switch" like seph it oth suggested.

I imagine a 'master switch' would cause a security conflict. If the enemy ever discovered how to duplicate this shut off then we would be at a serious disadvantage.

Akatsuki

Reaction score
I say we should master cloning as well. That way if the robots do rebel.

We can have a Clone Wars on Earth! Star Wars fan would love that.

Tythoid

Reaction score
I doubt we'll ever see human sized terminator style robots but we could quite easily have small wheeled/treaded robots similar to what bomb squads use + a minigun. Infact im be much more afraid of a robot like this that could climb walls and such then a robot that has to interact with his enviroment in the same way as a human.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Yeah, minitanks with 17mm rockets and .177 caliber machine guns would be pretty bad in an out of control scenario.

EMP sheilding is somewhat easy to do, but bulky, it wouldnt work too well on a humanoid robot, but its doable on a tank style robot. Moving parts like arms and such would be at risk though, so its likely it could fry the limbs off.

Now if they master any form of non-electrical computer/transmission system it would be an entrirely different story. Fiber optics is for all purposes immune to EMP (Repeaters and the computer still wouldnt, as well as any power source).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.