Faux Mirror Image Using Channel

JohnApricot

Reaction score
First post! Hi there. :)

I've been trying to make an ability using two channel abilities (the base order ID of the second has been changed so as not to create editor conflict) that will in effect cause the caster to undergo the mirror image 'blurry' effect, teleport to a target, attack, and repeat two more times in quick succession. (Essentially, assuming the target isn't moving, the caster would appear at different points around it, attacking before disappearing again.) Everything regarding that primary, triggered ability- activating the second, 'mirror image', ability, teleporting, attacking, and repeating- works perfectly. My work with the trigger editor is, I believe, complete.

The trouble I'm having is actually in making an ability that looks like Mirror Image but isn't. As far as I know, this has to be done using Channel, because I need the icon to be invisible (otherwise the unit would have a functionless, looks-like-mirror-image ability), but try as I might I simply can't get Channel to look like Mirror Image.

I've basically gone through and changed every value that Channel has similar to Mirror Image to be identical to it, yet all my little Arthas will do is raise his sword in anticipation of greater things. The only thing I can think of that it might be is 'Data - Animation Delay', which is .5 on Mirror Image and nonexistent on Channel, but it really doesn't seem like that would be the whole problem and in any case I've no idea how to go about fixing it.

Any possible fixes, general recommendations, or completely out-there ideas? My ability works, essentially, but I really wanted those extra style points.

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

~JohnApricot

DioD

Reaction score
you cant turn channel into mirrow image, there is no way to edit nature of skills.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
What, exactly, is the goal you aren't achieving? What visuals? Your post was not very clear about what you're looking for.

Tamisrah

Reaction score
Could it be that you just overlooked these?
Abilities\\Spells\\Orc\\MirrorImage\\MirrorImageMissile.mdl
Abilities\\Spells\\Orc\\MirrorImage\\MirrorImageCaster.mdl
But the problem is ofc that these only look good on the original blademaster.
So you will probably need a custom effect to recreate this effect with a different hero.

Whoareyou.

Reaction score

But the problem is ofc that these only look good on the vanilla blademaster.
So you will probably need a custom effect to recreate this effect with a different hero.

Maybe and whats with the "vanilla" :3

JohnApricot

Reaction score
What, exactly, is the goal you aren't achieving? What visuals? Your post was not very clear about what you're looking for.

I'm trying to achieve the visual effect of Mirror Image in which it looks like the casting unit is transparent and moving back and forth very quickly. The art is called 'Mirror Image <Special>' in the editor. It's essentially the same thing you'd get by changing the duration of the copy Mirror Image creates to .01 seconds; you get the visuals without actually creating anything. The important difference is that I want to remove the skill's button from the hero so that it can't be used unless activated by a trigger, something which (I believe) is only achievable by using Channel and keeping visibility off for 'Data - Options'.

Not really sure how to be any more clear than that. I'm just trying to mimic the Mirror Image animation so that it plays when an unrelated skill is used. Make sense?

JohnApricot

Reaction score

But the problem is ofc that these only look good on the original blademaster.

You just mean the missile and caster art, right? If so, yeah, I used them as well.

I do realize, of course, that it's going to look like a blademaster regardless of the hero being used.. Wasn't aware there was a way to recreate an effect like that, am I wrong?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
I'm trying to achieve the visual effect of Mirror Image in which it looks like the casting unit is transparent and moving back and forth very quickly. The art is called 'Mirror Image <Special>' in the editor. It's essentially the same thing you'd get by changing the duration of the copy Mirror Image creates to .01 seconds; you get the visuals without actually creating anything.

Then just set the Art - Caster field to 'Mirror Image <Special>', or create/destroy that effect attached to the origin attachment point of your hero in your triggers. Do you also want the transparent shimmering effect to smoothly travel between positions? That would be a fair bit more work...

JohnApricot

Reaction score
Then just set the Art - Caster field to 'Mirror Image <Special>', or create/destroy that effect attached to the origin attachment point of your hero in your triggers. Do you also want the transparent shimmering effect to smoothly travel between positions? That would be a fair bit more work...
Changing the art is what I'd been trying, and for some reason it wasn't working. Creating/destroying the effect, however, worked like a charm! I'm not interested in using the simmering effect, so this was exactly what I needed. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.