Finding out Skin Path Name

Quauhtli

I have the right to remain silent.
Reaction score
q1 Is there a way to easily find out the skin name of a certain unit?

q2 Does anyone (perhaps if you don't know above or you are a skinner you might know this :p) know the path for a Stormreaver Apprentice/something like that?

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Bleh, made this some years ago.. It has many spelling errors, but Im not gonna bother to fix them atm. Its pretty old, idk if it will even help.

DAskunk said:
How to find skin paths

By DAskunk​

First, you will need this tool, once you have it, click the "Open MPQ" Button, and choose either 'war3' or 'war3x' What is the differnce? war3x will have all the warcraft3 The frozen throne models and skins, and war3 will have all the warcraft riegn of choas models and skins. You should have this pannel up, and you should click "BLP", if that pannel isnt up click the "treeview" Button. Now to find the skin you are looking for. Most people would go to the "units" folder, and see half the units missing, And wounder why. This is becaus they are under "Textures". Now that we have selected youre skin we will find the path. To find the path, follow my example. Now we find the skin path on the list. It should be clear wich it is, but you can do "reset paths" (or w/e its called) and click a differnt skin then click back to your skin, then there should be only 2 choices on the list, and it should be easy

Quauhtli

Reaction score
Already tried that :p (Not from your thread though)
Couldn't find any Stormreaver, OrcWarlock (well the chaos and green one but not the GulDan ones) nor Gul'Dan...

Iwan_Krissov

Reaction score
do u mean
Units\Creeps\OrcWarlock\Orcwarlock.blp
in war3x.mpq ?
I think this is stormreaver-apprentice texture.
Model is in same folder

Quauhtli

Reaction score
Heh gj on finding that (I thought that was the green version of chaos orc shaman warlock guy) +rep

Still have a question though if someone knows another way for finding skin path names?

Iwan_Krissov

Reaction score
I did it like Daskunk, but I used ladik's mpq tool to open it (should be no differnce at all) ... I can try to find the other stuff you want.

Other way may be: Export the modelfile of your unit, convert it from *.mdx to *.mdl. afterwards you can open the file with normal windows-editor and "read it" ... e.g. read the textures of it...

Quauhtli

Reaction score
There's no other stuff (atm) but was just wondering if there was a quick way for when I'm trying to get a skin but there's no path:rolleyes:

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
I use War3ModelEditor to check what the path of the skin is.

After you have opened the program, you have to open the mpq: Windows -> MPQ browser --- File -> War3.mpq or War3x.mpq (expansion)

Now find the unit you want to skin. Units -> [Race] -> [Unit Name] -> [Unit Name].mdx

If you go back to the War3 Model Editor window, you'll can check what skin paths it uses by opening: Windows -> Texture Manager.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.