First day of SC2

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
I got my beta key today, played a lot of 2v2 with one of my friends. He's pretty good, I suck really hard. After 10 games we qualified to the copper league, he's in platinum in 1v1 :D So basically, I've some training to do. My main issue currently is economy management, I find it hard to keep up with the production midgame so I usually sits around with 1k in minerals. In wc3 that wasn't really a big problem since you managed every single unit carefully but here it's really noticeable.
So, how is it going for you?

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Well, currently being in the Gold League it really gets annoying. I'm at the 2v2 for Gold where I play with a friend mostly all the time. The cheapest build I've seen so far is Double Zerg rushes... They spam zerglings then come at you only 5 minutes in with 10 zerglings. Unless you have a good teammate, you're screwed.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
It all depends. I can't dole out Broodwar based advice if i don't know what race you play.

Generally though you may want to check your sim city. Which is building placement through out your base. A good sim city would greatly help with defending.

Take this for example.

A zealot army is moving towards your spine crawlers. You have a few minerals extra. You build one or two buildings infront of the Zealot's path. Now if the placement is correct. The Zealots will take extra hits before being able to deal out there own damage towards the spine crawlers which is crucial with the zealots still being the most powerful tier 1 unit and therefore incredibly tough for it's tier.

As for ling rushes....There easily countered if you know how to micro your workers to engage them. If you manage to beat the ling rush you'll at least have an economic advantage if not outright win the game since the player forgo worker production in favor of early lings. The trick is not letting them surround your workers and not loosing too many of your workers until you manage to make your own marine/zealot/zerglings to counter the zerglings.
Building defenses when possible also helps. And this is where APM comes in.

Since we're still at beta there aren't really and Build orders you can follow.
Hopefully when everything's finalized i can give out real non generalized advice.

Which depends on if i earn enough money to get a computer that can play SC2. :p

PS:SC2 is roughly the same as Broodwar in terms of gameplay with some new factors thrown in so i can't exactly give you solid advice yet. But try out my advice and see if it works.

PSS:So the 3rd highest league in the beta is still full of cheesers? Man when i finally get to play SC2 in the leagues i might breeze through everyone just because i've played semi-competitive Broodwar. :p

overload119

Reaction score
They spam zerglings then come at you only 5 minutes in with 10 zerglings.

THis has only happened to me once, and I was Zerg, my partner toss. Just build your structures in a way that nests your Queen and micro drones. It's really not that hard to avoid and is a terrible cost to the opponent.

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
the queen! How could i forget about the queen. :rolleyes: Well there you go the queen makes defending against early zergling rushes with workers much easier.. :D

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
My main issue currently is economy management, I find it hard to keep up with the production midgame so I usually sits around with 1k in minerals.

Gas is the real resource constraint in the later part of the game but in order to make use of your resources you need to build a lot of barracks/gateway etc. For example it seems Protoss needs 4-8 gateways minimum to keep production at a good rate, especially when upgrading them to warp gates. (And spam chronoboost with Protoss.) I'm not that good but from what I've heard, if the game goes to tier 3, minerals becomes useful only for making turrets and it's gas that decides what you can afford.

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Every time i have a surplus of minerals (in Broodwar) i make zerglings and Hydralisks if i can) That way when i finally move out my heavy artillery (Ultralisks,Defilers,Etc) are supported with Zerglings. So sometimes quantity is better than quality. It's how you use that quantity that counts. ;)

Also:Hotkeys. Learn them. Memorize them and hot key your buildings.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not in the beta yet (still :() through from what I see in videos is that the pace of SC2 is much faster than it was in WC3 of SC1, making macro a big factor in determining which players of similar micro strength will win, much more than any other Blizzard RTS. What does this mean? Make sure that you are almost constantly building and upgrading structures and keep everything hotkeyed.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
must contain myself for three more months...ugh.. noo it's too powerful!

wc: lol my strategy in warcraft is to early expo, get low upkeep and farm 3.5k gold then mass gryphons and dragonhawks. but sc2 doesn't have upkeep so you can't really do this..

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
I'm not in the beta yet (still :() through from what I see in videos is that the pace of SC2 is much faster than it was in WC3 of SC1, making macro a big factor in determining which players of similar micro strength will win, much more than any other Blizzard RTS.

Normal SC2 play is still slow when compared with semi competitive or Pro league Broodwar play for that matter. :p

Whitesock what streams are you following? I'm following the korean streams and when i compare them to streams from other countries they're 5x faster in in terms of gameplay. :rolleyes:

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
you are so lucky i feel left out i want beta D:
and i also agree with whitesock, the videos ive seen are faster paced than wc3. and im not watching korean videos. koreans take video game steroids so.... its like watching steroid weightlifting.

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Of course it would seem fast to you people.. For me that's already half the pace i play in. ;)

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
If you play at that pace often your gonna get used to it eventually. ;) Besides the Korean's aren't fast it's just that we're too slow. :p

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
If only SC2 and WC3 were at the same pace...:(

If I were in the beta, moving from WC3 to SC2 is going to be a time-consuming task.

I wondered if Acehart's getting invited by phyrex1an.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
If only SC2 and WC3 were at the same pace...:(

If I were in the beta, moving from WC3 to SC2 is going to be a time-consuming task.

I wondered if Acehart's getting invited by phyrex1an.

I thought Acehart left a while ago.. and SC2 seems faster because there's less to do then in wc3 (no neutrals to kill), so you kinda have to just go attack/harass your opponent

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
It's vastly much more than that Slapshot. You have to scout,attack,defend,produce units and formulate tactics all of which should be done faster than your opponent can.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.