Floating Texts Not Showing Up?

Knights

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So yeah I have a trigger that creates a bunch of floating texts and displays them, but the displaying doesn't work. Also, I know it is actually creating them, because it DOES work when I enable the ? mark when you acquire a quest, just the ! mark won't show up before you get the quest.

Code:
Floating Text
    Events
        Time - Elapsed game time is 0.01 seconds
    Conditions
    Actions
        -------- Quest1 --------
        Floating Text - Create floating text that reads ! at (Center of Region 104 <gen>) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 0.00%), and 0.00% transparency
        Set FloatTextExclamation1 = (Last created floating text)
        Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Floating Text - Show FloatTextExclamation1 for (Player group((Picked player)))
        Floating Text - Create floating text that reads ? at (Center of Region 104 <gen>) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 0.00%), and 0.00% transparency
        Set FloatTextQuestion1 = (Last created floating text)
        Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Floating Text - Hide FloatTextQuestion1 for (Player group((Picked player)))

Yet this code seems to get the ? mark to show:

Code:
GuideQuest
    Events
        Player - Player 1 (Red) Selects a unit
        Player - Player 2 (Blue) Selects a unit
        Player - Player 3 (Teal) Selects a unit
        Player - Player 4 (Purple) Selects a unit
        Player - Player 5 (Yellow) Selects a unit
        Player - Player 6 (Orange) Selects a unit
        Player - Player 7 (Green) Selects a unit
        Player - Player 8 (Pink) Selects a unit
        Player - Player 9 (Gray) Selects a unit
        Player - Player 10 (Light Blue) Selects a unit
    Conditions
        (Triggering unit) Equal to Guide 0528 <gen>
    Actions
        Floating Text - Hide FloatTextExclamation1 for (Player group((Triggering player)))
        Floating Text - Show FloatTextQuestion1 for (Player group((Triggering player)))

Anyone know the problem?

Thanks,
Knights:cool:

LoveTD's

Reaction score
You don't have to do it that way, you can always use the: create special effect on unit's overhead and then choose the ! or ? mark thats in the category extra... (b.t.w. these marks are 3D so that also gives a better look...) but If you want to do it that way I can't help you with that :S and if you want to hide it you could destroy the mark... shall I give you the trigger? (nvm I'll just do it to help you out :D)
Code:
guidequest
    Events
        Player - Player 1 (Red) Selects a unit
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Footman
    Actions
        Special Effect - Destroy example
        Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of (Triggering unit) using Objects\RandomObject\RandomObject.mdl
        Set example = (Last created special effect)

Code:
Time elapsed
    Events
        Time - Elapsed game time is 5.00 seconds
    Conditions
    Actions
        Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Bank 0003 <gen> using Abilities\Spells\Other\TalkToMe\TalkToMe.mdl
        Set example = (Last created special effect)

and so on... but if you really really need the floating tekst then I can't help sry... ow oops the first trigger is wrong because it destroys the mark of the unit you click with your player, you can figure that out by yourself I geuss, and if you can't just tell it here :D (and I'm not sure if it works but you can also use these things to let only 1 player show the marks...:
Code:
Custom script:   If GetLocalPlayer() == Player(playernumber-1*) then
-------- Your actions for player 1 here! --------
Custom script:   Endif

*playernumber-1 means you have to put it for the player you want -1 so for an example if you want it to be for player 1 then it should be 0 player 2 = 1 player 3 = 2 and so on... I'm not quite sure if it works for special effects but try it out :p

So for an example:

Code:
Custom script:   If GetLocalPlayer() == Player(0) then
Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of Bank 0003 <gen> using Abilities\Spells\Other\TalkToMe\TalkToMe.mdl
Custom script:   Endif

ow yeah I haven't looked real good at your trigger but the mark is at a region? no problem then use special effect - create a special effect on point

Iwan_Krissov

Reaction score
maybe there can only be one floating text on a units position at the time, so that creating the "?" overrides the "!"?

just a guess...

Knights

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
@LoveTDs:
I am using floating texts on purpose; you can client side them (Without JASS (And even with JASS I don't think you can create special effects that are only for one player)), so only one player sees the change when he finishes a quest and the other players still see an exclamation mark or whatever.

@Iwan_Krissov:
You could be right, and maybe by creating two floating texts on the same region the second overwrites the first. I will try it with two separate regions.

LoveTD's

Reaction score
ow ok I've understood you wrong... hope you'll figure it out :D (I'll test it with jass ^^)

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
I think text that is created is already displayed to the players so you can get rid of those 2 uneeded lines. May also be causing problem who knows blizzard.

LoveTD's

Reaction score
I am using floating texts on purpose; you can client side them (Without JASS (And even with JASS I don't think you can create special effects that are only for one player)), so only one player sees the change when he finishes a quest and the other players still see an exclamation mark or whatever.

I like this part:

(And even with JASS I don't think you can create special effects that are only for one player)

Thats not true...
I tested it myself and it works so you can use that if you like... go to action and use:
Code:
Custom Script: if GetLocalPlayer() == Player(0) then
(create or remove some special effects)
Custom Script: endif
(b.t.w. this also works with multiboards...)
and else try making more regions...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.