Technology Forget gas, pee powered car!

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
Urine-powered cars, homes and personal electronic devices could be available in six months with new technology developed by scientists from Ohio University.

Using a nickel-based electrode, the scientists can create large amounts of cheap hydrogen from urine that could be burned or used in fuel cells. "One cow can provide enough energy to supply hot water for 19 houses," said Gerardine Botte, a professor at Ohio University developing the technology. "Soldiers in the field could carry their own fuel."

Pee power is based on hydrogen, the most common element in the universe but one that has resisted efforts to produce, store, transport and use economically.

----------------------------
This is probably the most abundant source of power we have o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I can hear it already...

"Dad, don't forget to drink your beers tonight, else you won't be able to drive to work tomorrow":p

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
isnt hydrogen extremely flammable? trying to fill up your car with piss and KABOOM

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
I think the fuel is generated as needed. I dont see them creating a ton of the hydrogen and then pressurizing it into the tank. More so siphoning off the gas as it is needed at low pressures. BTW, most hydrogen fueled cars are generally safer than gasoline which is actually much more volatile than natural gas and hydrogen. Gasoline just seems more harmless because we handle it everyday.

I do see one huge drawback though. When all that urine is consumed of hydrogen where do you put it? I imagine back into the water system to be processed back into gray water for irrigation and such. So you have to purge the tank somewhere clean (likely the gas station) and then refill with a new fresh tank.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Do you leave your car on when you fill it with fuel?

Does petrol ignite when you fuel your car?

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Talk about taking recycling to the next level o_O

Do you excrete gas?
Do you excrete hydrogen? Hardly. This is about creating hydrogen from the urine, not filling up your car with highly explosive pee.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.