Gameplay Question - villager model w/ Addons, or varied Unit models (w/o addons)?

Which system is better? (see pros/cons)

• Villager model with weapon/armor attachments

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Different models

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

TwoHeadedBoy

Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding which path to take with my ORPG. I could either:
A) Base all of the champion classes on the Villager model. Then have the items add attachments to the hero (basically weapons, shields, helms, and chest armor)
B) Base each champion class on a different model.
I can't decide which one to do. Right now I'm kinda leaning toward option B, since I would like to have a bow-class hero in my map.

Anyways I was wondering what everyone else's opinions were. Which one would you prefer to play?

Heres my pro/con list:

Basing every hero off of villager:
PROS:

1. The item/equipment system is more fun, since you get to see all of your equipment on your character.
2. I have a 'weapon proficiency' system in place where the more you attack with a sword/axe/mace you become more proficient in that weapon class, and gain bonuses with those weapons.
3. Your character is more customizable. (see 1 and 2)
CONS
1. You are extremely limited by the villager animations: he doesnt have a good spell cast animation, spell channel animation....etc
2. I am limited by the amount of attachments I find online.
>edit: nvm this one>3. No bow-class heroes, since villager doesnt have the proper animations.
4. Bigger map size (from all the extra models)
edit: I found a villager model with more animations, although it still doesnt have animations such as the blademaster's spin

Basing heroes off different unit models:
PROS:

1. There are different models with different animations. i.e. you can find a model with a good channel animation, or the blademaster spin animation...etc
2. The heroes look varied, rather that being based off of 1 model.
3. I could add different races each with it's one racial abilty. i.e. night elves get [x].
CONS
1. You don't get to SEE your items on your character.
2. The weapon proficiency system wouldnt make sense.
3. Less customizable.

hopy

Reaction score
Well I haven't voted yet, personally I'd go for basing it off the vilager... just because it's more epic.
However please take a look at this:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-121035/?prev=search=attachments&d=list&r=100
Now I haven't tested it, I only read the description... but: 'A modified villager model. Has a bunch of animations.' does sound like it could solve your 'no casting animations' problem I think. So the only CON about the vilager left would be 'No bow-class', however I think you might be able to work around that as well.

Try it out, like I said I haven't tested it or anything, I just pressed the search button on Hive.

xkid4ditya

Reaction score
I'd choose using different model coz it very simple and efficient rather than using same hero with adding alot of attachments, what is the point for adding it.? style.? or more realistic looking hero with attachments.?

Thats my simple opinion:p

TwoHeadedBoy

Reaction score
Well I haven't voted yet, personally I'd go for basing it off the vilager... just because it's more epic.
However please take a look at this:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-121035/?prev=search=attachments&d=list&r=100
Now I haven't tested it, I only read the description... but: 'A modified villager model. Has a bunch of animations.' does sound like it could solve your 'no casting animations' problem I think. So the only CON about the vilager left would be 'No bow-class', however I think you might be able to work around that as well.

Try it out, like I said I haven't tested it or anything, I just pressed the search button on Hive.

Actually I just found this one:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/m...ist&page=2

Which has a bow, gun, 1 hand weapon, 2 hand weapon, dual wield, and spell animations!!!!!

However, it still remains that I can't have different races. Also all the heroes are going to be human male. So no Mountain Giants..etc. Also I am still limited by the attachments I can find

I'd choose using different model coz it very simple and efficient rather than using same hero with adding alot of attachments, what is the point for adding it.? style.? or more realistic looking hero with attachments.?

Thats my simple opinion:p

pretty much style and realism. it's nice when you equip an item to see it on your character.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
I agree that it can be cool to see your character change in game. But overall, I would say use different models. It just looks better IMO.

dead-manakin

Reaction score
I personally use the villiger system on my maps and i love it. I can show the character exactly what they are using and how they are affecting the game world (red skin = bad karma, blu skin = good karma)

hasslarn

Reaction score
Go with the villager models. Ive tryed it its so epic when you change your armor!

Edit:

Villager models make it more fun to play i mean it will be like WoW.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.