General question about actor triggers action

Phubar

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I had a look at this category of actions but i cant figure out what they are made for. Can someone give me a clue just to understand in what kind of triggers can i use them?

Just for curiosity, what does the action that order an actor to look at something?

Tnx!

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
Well, as you probably know, actors are used for all visual things in the game, so triggered spells use this for adding special effects :)

Phubar

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
So... if i want to change the cursor from "arrow" to "nuke target" i have to use an action of these?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Generally, you want to use the data editor to control actors. It is possible to use the trigger editor to control them but I suggest you don't unless you have to.

I assume we're talking about when you're about to cast an ability. You should have a look at the following tutorial: Making your abilities look good with actor events. You want the Ability.*YourAbility*.Cursor event to make it do something when it's in target mode.

If you're instead trying to do targeting with triggers like you talked about here, I can't really help you. From what I've heard, starting a proper targeting through triggers should be impossible. You might be able to fake it now that there's support for mouse coordinates, but it's going to be very bad in multiplayer due to the network lagg that it causes. You should try Dave312's suggestion in that thread though and see if it works.

I've never used the actions that orders an actor to look at something. However, I think it's used in the campaign for the high-poly models. All the in-game cinematics on Hyperion and such are done in the editor. So all the models and characters are available in-game. Therefore, I think it's used to control those highly detailed models and where they're looking.

Phubar

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I'm not english so it's hard for me to explain what i have to do and what i have already done.

No problem for lag, my map wont be played on the internet, you have to download the map and the mod and play it on your local machine.

Dave's suggestion is not good for me becouse only a small part of the map is played like FPS, the other parts are played like regular SC2 so i cant modify the UI.

I already have a trigger that works: in my FPS i press the "x" key, visual changes in the custom view, the trigger waits until left mouse is clicked then it orders to the main character (a ghost) to launch a nuke on the clicked point.
I miss only two things:
1- No circle around the ghost to show the range of the ability (but i can do it maybe adding a usless behavior with range indicators when the x key is pressed and disabling it when the nuke is launched)
2- No cool cursor icon when waiting for the target point (and i have no idea how to do)

If you want to see what i have done i will publish a sample map with only that trigger on the bnet but i play in the EU servers and i thik you have an America key... If it's like that i will try to put my file on a website.

For actor looking at something i guessed it was like you say... so i think i cant use it on normal units models.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.