Gui,Jass, and vJass

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I did GUI coding for about a year, then jass for about a month, and vjass ever since (about 6 months)

But I'm still a nub at it because I rarely ever code.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
har har i got wc when i was 10 too!!! but i only played it i didnt actually start WE till month ago

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
GUI - about 5 or so days.

JASS/vJASS - On and off since about May this year. Mostly off though because of school.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
5 days nice

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
i had w3 since i was 9 :p

and i started GUI like 1 1/2 year ago and i just started learning JASS

redmarine

Reaction score
I've been using GUI for 4 years and still am so I pretty much know everything it is capable of doing. In my opinion v/Jass is mostly just required when making very complicated and advanced code.

Though, when StarCraft II gets released I'm going to learn the C like scripting language after I get familiar to the new programing language.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been using GUI for 4 years and still am so I pretty much know everything it is capable of doing. In my opinion v/Jass is mostly just required when making very complicated and advanced code.

Though, when StarCraft II gets released I'm going to learn the C like scripting language after I get familiar to the new programing language.

You can do many basic things in both Jass and GUI. Thing with Jass is that it's much, much faster. (Easier to type than click)

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I started making maps about a year ago. ( It was at the end of summer )
I did only few triggers in GUI, and then I moved to Jass. I dont really remember when I first used vJass, but now I just cant do anything without it :D

Reaction score
I've been coding using the GUI from.. 2003 to 2006 - 2007. Jass ever since.

> vJass and Jass are extremely similiar. "Learning" vJass if you know Jass takes about a day. (Learning keywords)
They are not extremely similar, they're exactly similar. If you've never had experience with programming before, taking structures, interfaces, delegation and all in one day is a tough challenge.

> vJass -Omg, i want to learn jass before, clam down!
I suggest you to take both at the same time, because they're both only Jass. vJass isn't so magical after all. When you're starting to learn Jass, look into the vJass manual and try the features. Of course.. you have to know the basics to be able to make a code you can test those features with.

Gwypaas

hook DoNothing MakeGUIUsersCrash
Reaction score
Hmm.. I never really coded using GUI.

Been using vJass for about 10 months or so. Went straight for that since I already knew the basics of C and C++.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I've been coding using the GUI from.. 2003 to 2006 - 2007. Jass ever since.

> vJass and Jass are extremely similiar. "Learning" vJass if you know Jass takes about a day. (Learning keywords)
They are not extremely similar, they're exactly similar. If you've never had experience with programming before, taking structures, interfaces, delegation and all in one day is a tough challenge.

> vJass -Omg, i want to learn jass before, clam down!
I suggest you to take both at the same time, because they're both only Jass. vJass isn't so magical after all. When you're starting to learn Jass, look into the vJass manual and try the features. Of course.. you have to know the basics to be able to make a code you can test those features with.

so taking vjass at the same time u learn jass is better then becoming good at jass then learn vjass?

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I think useing both or the right one at the best time is the way to go.
Its not like You learn the GUI move on to jass, and be like now i do everything in jass...

I think people who make there games the best understand there uses and when to use one over the other for a part in there game. So i think most games should use a good portion of GUI, but when things look like they might start to get out of hand, or you need more flexibility with something, like doing logic. then you use jass.

To do everything in jass, i think for many games is just over the top, and waste of time.

So use GUI where its best, and jass where its best. i don't believe one is better then the other. (even though jass can do more then gui) they just have different usages.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
so taking vjass at the same time u learn jass is better then becoming good at jass then learn vjass?
Well, it's probably better to get some understanding of JASS first (since vJASS isn't much good if you can't use JASS :p)

Its not like You learn the GUI move on to jass, and be like now i do everything in jass...
It isn't? >.<

To do everything in jass, i think for many games is just over the top, and waste of time.
Well, (assuming you're half-decent at typing) it'd be a bigger waste of time to do stuff in GUI since it's alot slower to make anything longer than a few lines with GUI - it's find for a 5-line trigger (well, depending on the actions, something simple like Visibility - Disable Black Mask/Fog of War :D) but after that, it gets a bit tedious :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think useing both or the right one at the best time is the way to go.

I think people who make there games the best understand there uses and when to use one over the other for a part in there game. So i think most games should use a good portion of GUI, but when things look like they might start to get out of hand, or you need more flexibility with something, like doing logic. then you use jass.

So use GUI where its best, and jass where its best. i don't believe one is better then the other. (even though jass can do more then gui) they just have different usages.

I think Jass is better than GUI. GUI can't do anything which Jass can't do. Jass, on the other hand can do many things which GUI can't do.

And... I make Pure Jass maps. It's faster :)

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
>.>

Reaction score

News to me.

To do everything in GUI is a waste of time. When I discover that a large map is done entirely in GUI, or even mostly in GUI, I marvel at what must be the creator's incredible patience and motivation.

i don't believe one is better then the other.

GUI is useful for small testing and initialization triggers. Jass is better for everything else.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
eh, i guess i wont fight you on it.

But i still feel that maps should use some of both or more of one depending on what your doing.

But its true jass can do it all. but there are parts of jass i think are easyer to code in the gui. but thats just me. I agree that many parts are much faster in jass. like tetris, jass would have been the way to go.

To me its a partner ship.

Reaction score
> But i still feel that maps should use some of both or more of one depending on what your doing.
Should use both? Why? I see no reason to do so.

> but there are parts of jass i think are easyer to code in the gui. but thats just me.
Can you give me an example :p?

> >.>
TeeAichSee can stop the mindless spam. And you can stop using ">.>" "smiley" in every post of yours. It doesn't look that cool.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.