Help in English

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Prologue: So, I got this new English teacher in school and she talks english... well, weirdly.

The following sentences don't seem quite right IMO (except for the 2nd one), but I can't explain what exactly makes them wrong/right.

List of weird things that I've heard/read:
  • Today, I don't give you homework...
  • The excerpt is written in/from... perspective
  • verbally abuse the education system...

If these are wrong/correct in some way, would you mind explaining brief whats right/wrong?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Well all of those could make sense depending on the context, except maybe the first, which should be "won't" instead of "don't" as far as I can see.

The last one doesn't really make much sense in terms of the subject but I guess it still looks correct.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
List of weird things that I've heard/read:
  • Today, I don't give you homework...
  • The excerpt is written in/from... perspective
  • verbally abuse the education system...

First one should be won't.
Second one should have the perspective. Replace perspective with view, "the excerpt is written in view" doesn't make sense. "...written in the view" does. Same with perspective.
Third one appears right, but really should be educational system.

Hopefully im right, otherwise sadface :(

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
For example:
"The Excerpt is written in/from the 3rd person limited narrative perspective"

and this:
verbally abuse the education system...
sounded also very awkward to me, since you don't abuse a system itself, rather in schools or students. Eh, I can't put it into words =/

But thanks alot =)
Anyone know why it shouldn't be "don't"? My teacher said it's a double negative blablabla something... I didn't really get what she meant :x
So yeah, I thought I'd be going crazy because I've never heard/seen such an expression in such a context... There were alot more than just that though; she just sounded like she was correct and I didn't really have any evidence or something like that to oppose her, since all the English I know I learnt from Forums or my Brother.

So yeah, WTF.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, some of the teachers here in NYC speak worse English than your examples... Not the English teachers though, at least. :p

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Believe it or not, some of the teachers here in NYC speak worse English than your examples... Not the English teachers though, at least. :p

How did they even get the permission to teach then?

We get scolded if we do something wrong grammar-wise... Which degrades our grades by 1-2 (depending on how fatal/obvious the mistake was).

EDIT: in Tests, that is

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
I once had a spanish teacher (10th grade) that didn't know spanish...

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
I once had a spanish teacher (10th grade) that didn't know spanish...

Didn't that make you furious just a bit?

I mean, I'm not quite done with school yet (2 years to go) and I can't expect anything good to come from the next 2 years since I am very positive that I'll have fundamental flaws in my English.

Sucks.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Anyone know why it shouldn't be "don't"? My teacher said it's a double negative blablabla something... I didn't really get what she meant :x
Don't is present tense. Won't is future tense. I don't see where double-negatives come into this. :p

sqrage

Reaction score
Anyone know why it shouldn't be "don't"? My teacher said it's a double negative blablabla something... I didn't really get what she meant :x

Don't = Do not.

"Today, I do not give you homework." Definitely doesn't sound proper.

Wont = Will not.

"Today, I will not give you homework." Sounds proper.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Don't = Do not.

"Today, I do not give you homework." Definitely doesn't sound proper.

Wont = Will not.

"Today, I will not give you homework." Sounds proper.

Yes, but if you translate it:
Heute gebe ich euch keine Hausaufgaben auf (Don't Version)
Heute werde ich euch keine Hausaufgaben auf geben (Won't Version)

Both are correct, she said :eek:
So eh, I guess the "Sounds Proper" argument won't be very valid =/ But I'll try =)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
don't = short for do not
won't = short for will not

I do not
I will not

the first does make sense, but not in the context that you gave (I don't give homework) would work, but when you add "today" then it fails

and correct me if im wrong(google translate is failing me), but what you wrote in German translates to:

today I give no homework

here the object (homework) is negated, as opposed to the verb (give) being negated, right?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Didn't that make you furious just a bit?
Sucks.

I know spanish. I'm mexican. We learned/did work from the books, not her. So eh... same thing sorta really.

ReVolver

Reaction score
I know spanish. I'm mexican. We learned/did work from the books, not her. So eh... same thing sorta really.

I had a teacher who was teaching kids Castilian Spanish in my class, I thought he had a broken Spanish until I realized that Spain's Spanish sucks really bad :thdown: if it isn't the Lisps that gets you, it's the Arabic "J-KH" sounds they do :p

Everyone who is learning Spanish should learn it from L.A not Spain

Zakyath

Reaction score
Yes, but if you translate it:
Heute gebe ich euch keine Hausaufgaben auf (Don't Version)
Heute werde ich euch keine Hausaufgaben auf geben (Won't Version)

Both are correct, she said :eek:
So eh, I guess the "Sounds Proper" argument won't be very valid =/ But I'll try =)

What's interesting about languages is that they have differences. What makes sense in german doesn't necessarily make sense when translated to english.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does not sound proper in English.

The other languages it translates into are not relevant.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.