Help in English

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
It does not sound proper in English.

The other languages it translates into are not relevant.

I know, but how do you convince a German English teacher?

She also says "zhe" instead of "the" or "zhey" instead of "they" and all sorts of embarassing crap =/

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> She also says "zhe" instead of "the" or "zhey" instead of "they" and all sorts of embarassing crap =/
That comes down to her accent. It's difficult to change that.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if she can't get that she definitely doesn't deserve to be an English teacher. But don't go around telling her that. :p Try reasoning the teacher, who knows...

At least, you know it's wrong. Others won't, though. Sad.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Well, if she can't get that she definitely doesn't deserve to be an English teacher. But don't go around telling her that. :p Try reasoning the teacher, who knows...

At least, you know it's wrong. Others won't, though. Sad.

It's not like I know. It's more like it doesn't sound right to me, so I go off asking people to be certain :D

I don't think she deserves to be an english teacher, too. I've even had the excuse "The school can't afford any more teachers, so you'd have to bear with it" and so I asked why they employed such a teacher. No answear.

So, from now on, it's either don't go to english classes and get a bad grade or go to english classes, go crazy in the process and get a bad grade for doing things correct ( not all the time, I also do mistakes, but it's really become a battle of who is right or wrong. And her reasonings REALLY piss me off, because they seem just too shallow and untransparent ).

Sitting around doing nothing is not the way to go. Since it's one of my favourite subjects and I just don't feel like having serious flaws in my fundamentals ( can you say that? ), which may or may not be crutial in my later life.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
well talking english with perfect grammar is one thing and typing/writing it is another, thats what my english teacher does anyway. She doesnt go all out slang but shes not maintaining perfect grammar either.

Doing stuff like "me and bob" is just unacceptable though

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
It's every 2nd sentence she spouts ;D

"Did homework?" or "has you done all the work?" or "it are wrong. It's supposed to be...", I could go on like this ;D

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with those examples. Certainly not enough to qualify you to say she should lose her job.

"I will" is reserved for future tense as it elaborates willpower, something you do not have full control of. "Today" is current.

"I will not give you homework today." -- is the way you're thinking of.

"Today, I do not give you homework." -- also works. Just google it.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What exactly is googling it supposed to prove? Anyone that grew up speaking English knows that's incorrect. Obviously there are proper uses of "Today I do," but the mentioned example is not correct...

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with those examples. Certainly not enough to qualify you to say she should lose her job.

"I will" is reserved for future tense as it elaborates willpower, something you do not have full control of. "Today" is current.

"I will not give you homework today." -- is the way you're thinking of.

"Today, I do not give you homework." -- also works. Just google it.

I googled it, and all I got were some sites that explained their philosophy about the "Today, I do...".

It might be true, but I'm not certain, so, could you elaborate by using grammar to reason with?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> But "I do give" is not proper english. Putting a "not" in between doesn't fix it.
This. "I am giving" or "I'm not giving" would be the correct way to say it.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
There's many ways to say something, providing ways that 'sound better' does not prove anything. Can you provide reasons as to why it's not proper english besides a substitute or "not proper english"?

I'm sure you could argue that every native english speaker effectively masters the complete english language but I don't believe that to be true.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not about sounding better but improper syntax.

Refer to post #32 for more information.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
There's many ways to say something, providing ways that 'sound better' does not prove anything. Can you provide reasons as to why it's not proper english besides a substitute or "not proper english"?

You're using two verbs as one verb. Do and give are both verbs and in a simple sentence like "Today I give homework," you only have one verb. Either choose "I do homework" or "I give homework." If you want me to give you a better reason than that, then I suggest you buy some sentence graphing books so you can see sentence construction.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, stating the perceived problem as a reason.

And what about:

> "Did homework?" or "has you done all the work?" or "it are wrong. It's supposed to be...", I could go on like this ;D

:rolleyes:

Don't tell me these are only perceived errors...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.