Hero Ability Suggestions!

X-maul

AKA: Demtrod
Reaction score
I am creating a map named Rethos Temple which contains various heroes, currently I've got 12 heroes planned out (5 of them are currently complete), with 2 of them missing an Ultimate ability, and 1 of them missing a passive ability.

The Heroes are all designed following a Template like this;
  • 1 Passive Ability
    Passive abilities are abilities that passively adds something to the hero, this might be a boost to the damage of the hero, a boost to the movement speed, a boost to the health of the hero, ect.
  • 3 Normal AbilitiesNormal abilities are abilities that needs to be learned whenever the hero levels up. The normal abilities can be learned every 3rd level (level 1, 3, 5, 7 and so on) and will have short to moderate cooldown and energy cost.
  • 1 Ultimate AbilityUltimate abilities or Ultimates, are very powerfull abilities that can be learned every 5th level, starting from 6 (6, 11, 16 and so on) and will have a high cooldown and energy cost.
The Heroes, ofcourse follow a style. For instance, I've got a Firebat hero, which relies heavily on heavy close up damage, so his abilities coresponds with that.
The hero ability setup should work for a map where you have to both kill lots of minions and deal damage to enemy heroes.
But I want to have more than 12 heroes in my map, so this is where you guys come in. I want to ask for your help, by creating hero concepts for me;
You can use this templete;

Hero Name
Short Description
Hero Model
Link, or name
Attack speed and range (not required, but you can specify if you want it to attack once every 5 second or 5 times every 1 second).
Passive Ability: Name
Description
Increase per level:
The stat (Damage, cooldown, ect) increased/decreased per level.
Normal Ability 1: Name
Description
Increase per level:
Normal Ability 2: Name
Description
Increase per level:
Normal Ability 3: Name
Description
Increase per level:
Ultimate Ability: Name
Description
Increase per level:
There is no restrictions for what you can suggest, I do prefer it to be complete heroes, but you are also very welcome to suggest a hero with only 3 abilities :)

EDIT: I've attached a download link to an Excel of the current heroes, the hero named Gunnar and Balthu is the heroes missing abilities :) You do not have to do it as structured as I do in my Excel document, I use it a lot for scaling damage, so it's mostly for my own sake that I have all that data in it.

If you come up with the idea, I'll make sure to balance it, so no worries about that ;)

(In the bottom of the Excel document, there are tabs for each hero)

hopy

Reaction score
with 2 of them missing an Ultimate ability, and 1 of them missing a passive ability.
Require the rest of the abilities/thoughts on the design if you'd like some ideas on that one.

Are the heroes supposed to fight eachother, or mainly larger groups of enemies?
One quick thing: I suck at names, so I'm not going to bother too much on that.

Name: Bob the Zergling (like I said, best come up with your own names)
Description: A fast moveing melee unit, mainly based on fast movment, and sticking to its targets, chewing on them while they're trying to escape you. Supposed to be fast, and high damage. As long as he's not taken out fast he can focus down a single targets targets fast, and be ready at any time to deal constant damage. Its main defencive abilities are Swarming tactics and Absorbing Bite, but other than that his defence should be quite low.
Model: Zergling (with wings)
Range/attack speed: Melee range. high attack speed.
Passive ability: Point of no escape:
Bob the Zergling gains increased movement speed. Upon attacking an enemie target the movement speed is increased further for 2 seconds.
Normal ability #1: Absorbing bite:
Takes a large bite out of an enemie unit, dealing high damage. Heals Bob for a large portion of the damage done.
Normal ability #2: Predator Leap:
Bob leaps towards an enemie unit from a distance, dealing low damage to the target, as well as taking the target by suprise, increasing damage done to the target for 4 seconds.
Normal ability #3: Adrenaline Rush:
Greatly increasing Bob's attack speed for a short duration. Whever Bob makes a kill the cooldown of this ability is halved, and if he makes a kill when Adrenaline Rush is active the cooldown is refreshed completely.
Ultimate Ability: Swarming Tactics:
A large number of smaller Zerglings burrow up from under the ground, attacking nearby enemies. The Zerglings last for a decent duration, and any Zerglings that survive until the entire duration reduces the cooldown of Swarming Tactics by 2 second.
For example: Cooldown: 100 seconds, duration 30 seconds, summons 20 Zerglings - 15 Zerglings get killed, 5 survive 30 seconds (their duration expires), the cooldown (100) is reduced by 10 seconds.

Not 100% happy with ultimate ability, doesn't really fit the "single target high speed" hero.

Name: The Dark Templar.
Description: A stealth based hero. Supposed to be able to attack any high priority target for good damage, and escape pretty much anything using stealth and illusions. The idea is combining the passive and the ultimate for greatly increased damage, as well as using the other abilities at the right time, to further increase the damage and survivalbility of the Dark Templar. The Shadow Blades ability is meant to amplyfy this effect further, and allow players to chose between different styles for different situations.
Model: A Dark Templar
Range/attack speed: Melee range. Avarage attack speed.
Passive ability: Sneak attack:
Any damage dealt while under the effect of a cloaking ability, or 1 second after leaving the cloak the Dark Templar deals increased damage.
Normal ability #1: Shadow Blades:
Toggle ability: Decreases attack speed by a great amount, but raises attack damage by a great amount. Can be toggled at any time, and rapidly (~no cooldowns).
Normal ability #1: Shadow Dance: (channeled)
The Dark Templar strikes all foes in front of him with multiple quick attacks, dealing damage (each 0.5 seconds) in a cone in front of him for 2 seconds.
Normal ability #1: Shadow Stab:
Dissapears behind a target (short range), stabbing him in the back, dealing a big amount of damage. (use the Zeratul blink smoke poof for cool effect)(also this ability is mainly usefull if there are any "dodgeable" abilities etc in the map).
Ultimate ability: Shadow Walk:
Becomes enters the shadow, gaining cloak for 1 second.
- This ability should have a pretty low cooldown (like 4 seconds low), and should.

Name: Fear, the Reaperman
Description: Not 100% happy with this one, but whatever. Too tired to get something better. :D The idea was a lot of area controle, making the opponent watch their step and move away from danger or get killed. Taking them down groups of enemies using abilities from a distance.
Model: A reaper.
Range/attack speed: Avarage range, 4-5. Avarage attack speed.
Passive ability: Combat Awarenes:
Shows the Reaper the location of nearby enemie units. (think Sensor tower)(Should be good in combination with Mine Field, Leap and his ultimate)
Normal ability #1: Sticky Grenade:
Throws a sticky grenade onto a target enemie unit. After a short duration the grenade detonates, dealing high damage to the unit and in an area around the unit.
Normal ability #2: Mine Field:
Places half a circle of mines at a target location, dealing damage to enemie units that walk over them. Mines stay for an avarage duration, and are invisible for enemies.
Normal ability #3: Rocket Leap:
Creates a blast from the Reaper's jet pack, knocking away nearby enemie units (and a small amount of damage), and causes the Reaper to leap to a target location.
Ultimate ability: Air Strike:
Creates 3 red dots in a line on the ground at a targetted point. After a few seconds an airplane will fly over and drop bombs in a line.
[ cast-> x] [line-> . . .] [explosions]-> boooom!]

Please do mess around with durations and numbers as you see fit (for they're not balanced at all! :D), let me know what you think. One for each race so far, if you like these I'll come up with some more.

X-maul

Reaction score
Require the rest of the abilities/thoughts on the design if you'd like some ideas on that one.
Oh yea, will describe the heroes I need abilities aswell ;)
I have uploaded an Excel file to the first post, so you will be able to see all the heroes I've already made :)

Are the heroes supposed to fight eachother, or mainly larger groups of enemies?
One quick thing: I suck at names, so I'm not going to bother too much on that.
The heroes are supposed to fight enemy heroes and large groups of units at the same time, but I do have strong single target heroes aswell, for players with that preference :)

Name: Bob the Zergling (like I said, best come up with your own names)
Description: A fast moveing melee unit, mainly based on fast movment, and sticking to its targets, chewing on them while they're trying to escape you. Supposed to be fast, and high damage. As long as he's not taken out fast he can focus down a single targets targets fast, and be ready at any time to deal constant damage. Its main defencive abilities are Swarming tactics and Absorbing Bite, but other than that his defence should be quite low.
Model: Zergling (with wings)
Range/attack speed: Melee range. high attack speed.
Passive ability: Point of no escape:
Bob the Zergling gains increased movement speed. Upon attacking an enemie target the movement speed is increased further for 2 seconds.
Normal ability #1: Absorbing bite:
Takes a large bite out of an enemie unit, dealing high damage. Heals Bob for a large portion of the damage done.
Normal ability #2: Predator Leap:
Bob leaps towards an enemie unit from a distance, dealing low damage to the target, as well as taking the target by suprise, increasing damage done to the target for 4 seconds.
Normal ability #3: Adrenaline Rush:
Greatly increasing Bob's attack speed for a short duration. Whever Bob makes a kill the cooldown of this ability is halved, and if he makes a kill when Adrenaline Rush is active the cooldown is refreshed completely.
Ultimate Ability: Swarming Tactics:
A large number of smaller Zerglings burrow up from under the ground, attacking nearby enemies. The Zerglings last for a decent duration, and any Zerglings that survive until the entire duration reduces the cooldown of Swarming Tactics by 2 second.
For example: Cooldown: 100 seconds, duration 30 seconds, summons 20 Zerglings - 15 Zerglings get killed, 5 survive 30 seconds (their duration expires), the cooldown (100) is reduced by 10 seconds.

Not 100% happy with ultimate ability, doesn't really fit the "single target high speed" hero.
I do actually already have a Hero based on the Zergling, but it's not made yet, so I might change some of the abilities with the ones here, or maybe I'll just find another model :)

Name: The Dark Templar.
Description: A stealth based hero. Supposed to be able to attack any high priority target for good damage, and escape pretty much anything using stealth and illusions. The idea is combining the passive and the ultimate for greatly increased damage, as well as using the other abilities at the right time, to further increase the damage and survivalbility of the Dark Templar. The Shadow Blades ability is meant to amplyfy this effect further, and allow players to chose between different styles for different situations.
Model: A Dark Templar
Range/attack speed: Melee range. Avarage attack speed.
Passive ability: Sneak attack:
Any damage dealt while under the effect of a cloaking ability, or 1 second after leaving the cloak the Dark Templar deals increased damage.
Normal ability #1: Shadow Blades:
Toggle ability: Decreases attack speed by a great amount, but raises attack damage by a great amount. Can be toggled at any time, and rapidly (~no cooldowns).
Normal ability #1: Shadow Dance: (channeled)
The Dark Templar strikes all foes in front of him with multiple quick attacks, dealing damage (each 0.5 seconds) in a cone in front of him for 2 seconds.
Normal ability #1: Shadow Stab:
Dissapears behind a target (short range), stabbing him in the back, dealing a big amount of damage. (use the Zeratul blink smoke poof for cool effect)(also this ability is mainly usefull if there are any "dodgeable" abilities etc in the map).
Ultimate ability: Shadow Walk:
Becomes enters the shadow, gaining cloak for 1 second.
- This ability should have a pretty low cooldown (like 4 seconds low), and should.
This one is pretty cool :D I like the concept of it :) I'll probably make it like it is :D

What model do you think would fit for this? Zerathul or the dark templar with the scythe?

Name: Fear, the Reaperman
Description: Not 100% happy with this one, but whatever. Too tired to get something better. :D The idea was a lot of area controle, making the opponent watch their step and move away from danger or get killed. Taking them down groups of enemies using abilities from a distance.
Model: A reaper.
Range/attack speed: Avarage range, 4-5. Avarage attack speed.
Passive ability: Combat Awarenes:
Shows the Reaper the location of nearby enemie units. (think Sensor tower)(Should be good in combination with Mine Field, Leap and his ultimate)
Normal ability #1: Sticky Grenade:
Throws a sticky grenade onto a target enemie unit. After a short duration the grenade detonates, dealing high damage to the unit and in an area around the unit.
Normal ability #2: Mine Field:
Places half a circle of mines at a target location, dealing damage to enemie units that walk over them. Mines stay for an avarage duration, and are invisible for enemies.
Normal ability #3: Rocket Leap:
Creates a blast from the Reaper's jet pack, knocking away nearby enemie units (and a small amount of damage), and causes the Reaper to leap to a target location.
Ultimate ability: Air Strike:
Creates 3 red dots in a line on the ground at a targetted point. After a few seconds an airplane will fly over and drop bombs in a line.
[ cast-> x] [line-> . . .] [explosions]-> boooom!]

Please do mess around with durations and numbers as you see fit (for they're not balanced at all! :D), let me know what you think. One for each race so far, if you like these I'll come up with some more.
I do actually already have a Reaper hero, but I'm not 100% satisfied with it, so I'm glad you gave me some ideas here. I like the minefield idea, and the Air Strike idea is awesome :D The passive is pretty cool aswell, but it might be a little OP though, I'll think about it. The current passive is a speed boost over time, when out of combat, so it might get that instead :)

Thanks for these awesome ideas :D you are more than welcome to keep 'em coming, if you got more :D

hopy

Reaction score
What model do you think would fit for this? Zerathul or the dark templar with the scythe?
I was thinking about that as well, but I wasn't sure. So I decided to leave it up to you. I'd say Zeratull with a Scythe would be amazing, but not possible.
Not sure if the Dark Templar models have any differences other than the weapons, not if this is possible... but: Let the first ability (the one that toggles between slow/heavy attacks - faster attacks) switch Psi Blades/Scythe on the Dark Templar model?

The Exel document only contained the Infestor for me, though that might be because I never, ever work with Exel, and I'm missing something.
About the Infestor hero:
I personally feel like basing him on on controling units, and ability based damageing effects and all that. As such my idea would be the following:
Passive: Live for the swarm:
The Infestor gains x% (or x armour) for each timed controled unit (being summoned/neural parasite) nearby. (The idea being: motivate using spells, and defende the Infestor during Neural Parasites).
Normal ability #2 (replacing the Neural Parasite): Infestation:
Places a damage over time effect on a target enemie (decent duration), when the target dies while this effect is active three Broodlings spawn under the Infestor's controle.
Ultimate Ability: Neural Domination (giving two options, I prefer the second one):
1. The Infestor sends out 3 cords that connect to 3 nearby enemie units, getting full controle over them for 15 seconds, but the Infestor can't move during this effect.
2. The Infestor sends out 2 cords that connect to 2 nearby enemie units, getting full controle over them until the ability is canceled, but the Infestor can't move during this effect. While Nerual Domination is active it drains the Infestor's energy until the ability is canceled. (Ofcourse has a very low cooldown because of this).
So, 1: A multi nearal ultimate. 2: a toggled energie burning 2 person controle on demand. Personally I prefer 2, since it'll allow for more decision making and micro.

Working on some more, but not yet finished. Have to get to bed soon though.
Are flying units ok?

X-maul

Reaction score
I was thinking about that as well, but I wasn't sure. So I decided to leave it up to you. I'd say Zeratull with a Scythe would be amazing, but not possible.
Not sure if the Dark Templar models have any differences other than the weapons, not if this is possible... but: Let the first ability (the one that toggles between slow/heavy attacks - faster attacks) switch Psi Blades/Scythe on the Dark Templar model?
Ok, I will test the different models :)

The Exel document only contained the Infestor for me, though that might be because I never, ever work with Exel, and I'm missing something.
There are tabs at the bottom of the document (left to the scroll bar) for each hero.
About the Infestor hero:
I personally feel like basing him on on controling units, and ability based damageing effects and all that. As such my idea would be the following:
Passive: Live for the swarm:
The Infestor gains x% (or x armour) for each timed controled unit (being summoned/neural parasite) nearby. (The idea being: motivate using spells, and defende the Infestor during Neural Parasites).
Normal ability #2 (replacing the Neural Parasite): Infestation:
Places a damage over time effect on a target enemie (decent duration), when the target dies while this effect is active three Broodlings spawn under the Infestor's controle.
Ultimate Ability: Neural Domination (giving two options, I prefer the second one):
1. The Infestor sends out 3 cords that connect to 3 nearby enemie units, getting full controle over them for 15 seconds, but the Infestor can't move during this effect.
2. The Infestor sends out 2 cords that connect to 2 nearby enemie units, getting full controle over them until the ability is canceled, but the Infestor can't move during this effect. While Nerual Domination is active it drains the Infestor's energy until the ability is canceled. (Ofcourse has a very low cooldown because of this).
So, 1: A multi nearal ultimate. 2: a toggled energie burning 2 person controle on demand. Personally I prefer 2, since it'll allow for more decision making and micro.
Nice Idea. I like the passive :) I'll most likely create the abilities to test it out, as of right now, I cant decide if it's a good idea or not :b

Working on some more, but not yet finished. Have to get to bed soon though.
Are flying units ok?
Sounds good :D

Heroes should be ground units, but there's nothing wrong with an air unit which is lowered to the ground.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.