Spellpack Hero: The Elementalist

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Hello one and all. This is my First Custom Hero :)

The Elementalist

Primary Attribute: Intelligence
Description: The Elementalist, an outcast from Gul'dans group; whom managed to escape his clutches; has learned the ways of the Shamans, and has used those abilities to create lethal spells. Although not mainly towards the Direct Damage area, the Elementalist tends to go towards the Support and Area of Effect choice.

The Spells:

Burning Hammer:
A Flaming Hammer is thrown at an enemy unit, dealing no damage. However when struck, the hammer will burst into nine flames, surrounding the enemy unit which can cause serious damage.

Ice Nova:
Calls down several Ice shards, exploding on impact when on the ground ,dealing heavy damage and slowing the units affected.

Earth Mold:
The Elementalist channels his earthly powers to mold an exact replica of the targeted unit for a short amount of time. Cannot be casted upon big units and upon The Elementalist

Whirlwind:
Pulls and enemy unit towards the Elementalist, making the enemy unit move around the Elementalist extremely fast, causing dizzyness and sickness. Deals high damage over time.

Ultimate:Elemental Spawn
Summons an Element based on the Ground Type. The Spawns vary from Size, Damage and Health.

Map Notes: There is a Boss at the end. Good luck defeating him!
Hope you liked it.
PS: I could not get a pic of Earth mold and Whirlwind - I had like 10 bytes left after these two pics and i have other attattchments elsewhere./B]

robinremue

Reaction score
you didn't attach the map...

EDIT: Never mind :S

Burning Hammer:
A Flaming Hammer is thrown at an enemy unit, dealing no damage. However when struck, the hammer will burst into nine flames, surrounding the enemy unit which can cause serious damage.

Nice and works perfectly (as far I know :p)

Ice Nova:
Calls down several Ice shards, exploding on impact when on the ground ,dealing heavy damage and slowing the units affected.

Nice Aswell :)

Earth Mold:
The Elementalist channels his earthly powers to mold an exact replica of the targeted unit for a short amount of time. Cannot be casted upon big units and upon The Elementalist

Tried it 5 times and it only worked once... don't know what went wrong...

Whirlwind:
Pulls and enemy unit towards the Elementalist, making the enemy unit move around the Elementalist extremely fast, causing dizzyness and sickness. Deals high damage over time.

Lacks special effect, kinda hard to see the unit move..

Ultimate:Elemental Spawn
Summons an Element based on the Ground Type. The Spawns vary from Size, Damage and Health.

Nothing happens :S

C

Cookie

demi, you should explain why you dont like it, so that he can improve his skills for next time, or possibly even update to make it 'improved' in that area :)

L

LegACy99

Well, I sure love Whirlwind, I even have an idea to do a modded version of it (like you pick a unit, then spin it around, which also hits any enemy who collided with the targeted unit, knocking and damaging them. And let's call the skill 'Living Flail' ^^)

Anyway, I couldn't get Earth Mold to work, the Ice Nova is just a plain blizzard to me, the Burning hammer is also like lightning shield ain't it? And the idea of Elemental Spawn is nice, however, it's executed poorly...

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Burning Hammer:
---> Acid Bomb?

Ice Nova:
---> Possibly Triggered

Earth Mold:
The Elementalist channels his earthly powers to mold an exact replica of the targeted unit for a short amount of time. Cannot be casted upon big units and upon The Elementalist.
---> Why just don't use ITEM ILLUSIONS?

Whirlwind:
---> Triggered

Rate: 6/10 ---> Moderately Good.. +REP for trying, you could do better.
And remember, I SUCK WHOOPI so you do think why i gave you 6/10 but then I can't submit something XD!!

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Denmax:

Burning hammer is based on Storm bolt.
Ice Nova "possibly triggered"? :confused:
Earth Mold: I needed something that would attack.

Robinremue:
Good, glad you liked it.
It does work, trust me :)

If you did it on a Dirt Terrain - dust only has 50 hp.

Demi666:
Thanks for saying anyway

LegaCy99:
Earth Mold does work. Trust me. How does it not work though? Do tell me.
Also you can use the Whirlwind idea. If you do that is - I have no idea how to do it as you said :)
Elemental Spawn: How could i do it better? :(

Thanks for your comments!

dragonhord

Knowledge is true opinion. - Plato
Reaction score
Suggestions....
Fire Hammer - I think its good how it is...
Ice Nova - PLZ PLZ PLZ Make it not hurt me... Its really annoying trying to kill your "Boss" when all that happens is I hurt myself with that crap...
Whirldwind - WAYYY to etchy... Id like it if it were MUCH smoother...
Earth Mold - Just do the Item Illusion... Triggering this is USELESS.
Elemental Spawn - Make it more useful? I think it should be based on something else other than terrain your on too, but thats just me...

L

LegACy99

Earth Mold does work. Trust me. How does it not work though? Do tell me.
well, it probably because there's so many unit >.< Try to make them spawn less creeps, it's annoying.
Elemental Spawn: How could i do it better?
well, may be you could make an AoE damage when you summon it? or make it also enhance one of your skill?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Original spells.

Extremely flawed though, for several reasons.

--> Ice Nova

Code:
Ice Nova
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to Elementalist
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Ice Nova 
    Actions
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (360.00, 0.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Blizzard\BlizzardTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (275.00, 275.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Blizzard\BlizzardTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (0.00, 360.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Blizzard\BlizzardTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (275.00, -275.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Blizzard\BlizzardTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (0.00, -360.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Blizzard\BlizzardTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-275.00, -275.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Blizzard\BlizzardTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-360.00, 0.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Blizzard\BlizzardTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-275.00, 275.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Blizzard\BlizzardTarget.mdl
        Wait 0.60 seconds
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (360.00, 0.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (275.00, 275.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (0.00, 360.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-275.00, 275.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-360.00, 0.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-275.00, -275.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (0.00, -360.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (275.00, -275.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl
        Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage circular area after 0.00 seconds of radius 500.00 at (Position of (Casting unit)), dealing 350.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal

Ouch. Well, first of all "(Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to Elementalist" is useless.

Next, 17 leaks. Bad!

> Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage circular area after 0.00 seconds of radius 500.00 at (Position of (Casting unit)), dealing 350.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal

Circular areas always include casters. Bad again, you need to pick every unit within 500 radius and damage them individually.

Also, use (Integer A) loops. Will shorten your triggers alot.

--> Burning Hammer

> (Unit-type of (Casting unit)) Equal to Elementalist

Useless.

Code:
Burning Hammer
    Events
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Burning Hammer 
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (125.00, 0.00)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Add a 3.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (125.00, 125.00)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (0.00, 125.00)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (125.00, -125.00)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (0.00, -125.00)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (-125.00, -125.00)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (-125.00, 0.00)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (-125.00, 125.00)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))

16 leaks. And use (Integer A) loops, again. :p

--> Whirlwind

Ouch, this spell is ugly!

Useless again.

Code:
Whirlwind
    Events
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Whirlwind 
    Actions
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (0.00, 360.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing 30.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (275.00, 275.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing 30.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (360.00, 0.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (275.00, -275.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (0.00, -360.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-275.00, -275.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-360.00, 0.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-275.00, 275.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (0.00, 360.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (275.00, 275.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (360.00, 0.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (275.00, -275.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (0.00, -360.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-275.00, -275.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-360.00, 0.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds
        Unit - Move (Target unit of ability being cast) instantly to ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by (-275.00, 275.00))
        Wait 0.10 seconds

Use periodic timers. It looks extremely bad as it is right now. Also, the minimum wait time is 0.27, so even if you reduce the waits, it won't look smoother.

17 leaks. Store (Casting unit) in a variable first. It may get lost as time passes. Also, you need to add a feature that makes the spell interruptible. If I stun the caster I expect the spell's effect to end right away.

Use (Integer A) loops again.

--> Earth Mold

:p

Code:
Earth Mold
    Events
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Target unit of ability being cast)) Not equal to Boss: Elemental King
        (Unit-type of (Target unit of ability being cast)) Not equal to Elementalist
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Earth Mold 
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 (Unit-type of (Target unit of ability being cast)) for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (50.00, 0.00)) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Add a 10.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (55.00, 0.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Orc\ReinforcedTrollBurrow\ReinforcedTrollBurrowTarget.mdl
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (55.00, 0.00)) using Abilities\Spells\Undead\ReplenishHealth\ReplenishHealthCaster.mdl

You can't just add unique conditions from your map inside a trigger meant to be shared. Someone who attemps to copy your trigger into his map might not like those 2 random conditions :p

3 leaks, remove them.

> Unit - Create 1 (Unit-type of (Target unit of ability being cast)) for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Target unit of ability being cast)) offset by (50.00, 0.00)) facing Default building facing degrees

Unfortunately, the spell you based it off (Shockwave) is a point-targeted that allows unit targets. As you can cast the spell on teh ground, it will most of the time do nothing. Change the base spell.

--> Elemental Spawn

It needs to be a custom spell. Right-click on your spell inside the Human folder and select "New custom ability".

You can't have 5 triggers, one for each terrain. As explained in the spells submission rules, your spells must allow the users to modify them ;) Make it in 1 trigger.

Code:
Fire
    Events
        Time - Every 0.25 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set tmpGroup = (Units in (Playable map area))
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in tmpGroup and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set tmpPoint = (Position of (Picked unit))
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        (Terrain type at tmpPoint) Equal to Dungeon - Lava
                        (Unit-type of (Picked unit)) Equal to Elementalist Dummy
                    Then - Actions
                        Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
                        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Picked unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\FlameStrike\FlameStrike1.mdl
                        Unit - Create 1 Fire for (Owner of (Picked unit)) at (Position of (Picked unit)) facing (Position of (Picked unit))
                    Else - Actions
                        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation( udg_tmpPoint )
                        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup( udg_tmpGroup )

You need to clean the leaks in the "Then - Actions" too. You also have 2 more leaks not cleaned, 4 times a second, 5 triggers running every 0.25 seconds so in short: about 40 leaks every second. My comp started lagging fast :p

Oh and, only 5 terrain types? What happens if the caster casts it on another terrain, no effect? This can't be, either add more terrain or add a "general" elemental working on every terrain types.

----------------------------------------

Overall, original and cool spells, but they need a lot of fixes ;)

dragonhord

Knowledge is true opinion. - Plato
Reaction score
Sheeze Dax, looks like you have a fun job... Reviewing spells lawl... Id hate that haha.

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
is that the trigger Dax?

it makes me cry, no offense!

Monsterous>
you have nice ideas on spells, but what you lack is the trigger

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Hehe, thanks for the reviews. I think ill stop the spell making for now until i get a bit more advanced with the Triggering (Like Integers for example and Variables).

Thanks anyhow :)

Also by the Leaks, did you mean by the Condition or the actual Special Effects for Burning Hammer and Ice Nova? :eek:

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
> Circular areas always include casters.

They include any unit; allies, enemies, structures, etc.

____

I noticed something important that Daxtreme said, that I can reinforce, and I'm going to use the following trigger as an example:
Code:
Fire
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
            Loop - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                    Then - Actions
                        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Picked unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Human\FlameStrike\FlameStrike1.mdl
                        Unit - Create 1 Fire for (Owner of (Picked unit)) at (Position of (Picked unit)) facing (Position of (Picked unit))
                    Else - Actions
                        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation( udg_tmpPoint )
                        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup( udg_tmpGroup )
'tmpGroup' is set outside the 'If then Else' action, along with 'tmpPoint'.

So, let's say that the '(Terrain type at tmpPoint) Equal to Dungeon - Lava', is true.

Well, if it is, the 'tmpGroup' isn't being destroyed in the 'Then Actions' statement, nor is the 'tmpPoint'.

So, basically, unless the '(Terrain type at tmpPoint) Equal to Dungeon - Lava' is not true, both of those variables will cause memory leaks.

The following trigger shows how the leaks can be easily fixed:
Code:
Fire
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
            Loop - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                    Then - Actions
                    Else - Actions
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation( udg_tmpPoint )[COLOR="Green"]<--- Moved outside the 'If then Else' action[/COLOR]
        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup( udg_tmpGroup )[COLOR="Green"]<------ Moved outside the 'Loop - Actions' of the Unit Group action[/COLOR]

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
> Dosent the custom script at the bottom go towards the variables?

It 'goes towards the variables' anyway.

But, since you had placed them both inside the "Else Actions", they'd only destroy the variables if the Else Actions are run,
which isn't all the time.

waaaks!

Zinctified
Reaction score
what do u mean, do u ask why the las custom script is outside?

well it is outside because the variable it chooses is also outside

and look the other function that sets the other trigger, it is inside the loop, meaning if u want to destroy it then, you must create a custom script INSIDE the loop

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
No problem.

If you've got any other Q's, feel free to ask.
____

Just something that's a bit 'annoying' to the eye - the large amount of bold text in your first post.

I think everyone would like it if you un-bolded the text, but you obviously don't have to unless a moderator tells you to.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Monsterous, you simply need to read some tutorials about memory leaks and variables.

Isn't that much job :)

Don't "give up", even temporarily, learn and progress! Difference.

As of right now your spell can't be approved, but there's nothing preventing you from improving. We all learn every day ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.