HEROES V - The big mistake!

San-D

Reaction score
I started making a map that is a copy of Heroes V, but in warcraft. All was unbelieveably smooth.,.. untill I got to the battlefield. My battlefield is a patch of Grass, with 16x16 grid of small, identical regions. the problem. How can I make the player select a region to move to IN-GAME?

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
You could use Circles of Power, then for each attempted movement, you swap locations between the circle of power-unit and your troops.

Off topic: I'm having a similar problem, trying to make a chess in WC3. Do not ever try to make a chess in WC3 ^^

San-D

Reaction score
:D , K, maybe its a bit messed up! To all who have palyed Heroes 5(3 is good too) : When two Heroes clash, they get teleported to my battlefield with thier respective armies.

-IN WE

My battlefiled is a grid of 256 (16x16) regions

-In-Game

How can I make the "Grid" visible to a player or make the units somehow move just like in H5, depending on their speed?

San-D

Reaction score
You could use Circles of Power, then for each attempted movement, you swap locations between the circle of power-unit and your troops.

Off topic: I'm having a similar problem, trying to make a chess in WC3. Do not ever try to make a chess in WC3 ^^

It as GREAT idea (+rep), but an advice to u too - dont use circles of power on a grid that requiers 20-40 visible fields, its too ugly and eye-piercing . Use some flat square thingies u find

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
They well I'm using regular black/white square tiles for the chessboard. Though I was using circle of powers to indicate possible moves (turning them green), possible attack moves (turning them red) and moves that does not work.

The real problem with making a chess is that I'll have do to one trigger for each unit that can stand on different squares, so the queen and king for example would need 64 trigger each...

San-D

Reaction score
Is there a way to detect if a player's cursor is curently over a region

oorosco

Reaction score
By that i meant clicks on a unit- sorry, you can always just make a unit with a very large selection place it in the center. (Make it a walkable) and whenever a unit enters range add locust to it so it don't interfere with the unit.

San-D

Reaction score
Thats not what I meant. If u have played H5 Imagine this:
The green squares that indicate where the curent unit on turn can move to, are my 256 regions. In H5 if u click on a square the unit goes to that point. Can I detect in WC if the player's clicking point is in region 1 or not (clicking means Right-Clicking/Move order)

oorosco

Reaction score
Here you go

Code:
Untitled Trigger 003
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting a point
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set point = (Target point of issued order)
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                ((Playable map area) contains point) Equal to True
            Then - Actions
            Else - Actions

San-D

Reaction score
10x! I can't imagine doing 256 triggers, but thats a great lead!

LOOPS, I dont need 256 trigs

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Clicks and mouse hovering requires JASS's trackables, which aren't even flexible at all. (You can't even destroy them!)

And, to make this trigger work, you would probably have to set a ton of variables to each region. Takes a long time but it is hard to do it any other way. The only way I would do it would be in JASS and use textmacros, (as long as the regions have similar names)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.