How do I make a custom doodad with variations?

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Hello!
In my map I got a lot of trees. However, I figured it would probably improve the maps loading time if I changed those trees from destructibles to doodads (since they dont need to be chopped down anyway, and it would also be nice if I could make them cast shadows).
So I figured I would export the tree models with War3ModelEditor and then import them again and use them as custom doodads instead.

However, there is a problem. It doesnt seem like I can create custom doodads with variations (no way to specify what models to use as variations for example). I am having lots of trouble with this, so if anyone could help me make a custom doodad with variations using imported models I would be very grateful :)

(I searched round a little for tutorials, but I didn't find anything useful :()

Shadow14l

Reaction score
Just my suggestion, but there are special tools that change your map so that the file size is smaller, and it is easier to read by wc3. That should easily decrease the loading time.

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Ok thanks, I know, but that was not my question. If any confusion arose with my previous post i can Clarify:

How do I create custom doodads with variations (you know doodads can come with variations, right?) using models I have imported into the editor?

I can create a single custom doodad, but I can't find any way to make it have variations with different models.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
When you make a custom doodad, in the object editor there is a bar called "variations" set it to the number you want.
And further moore, I am not sure.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Also please note that for the amount of work that you will have to do, you wont save much space / loading time at all. Just stick with simple processes. Use Tree destructibles. Make your map, then (SAVEACOPY!!*) optimise after you have finished. (By finished I mean at the very least public Beta stage.)

* Save a copy, and optimise a copy, so that you can still edit the original.

#Complicated and unnecessary process to turn tree destructible to doodad.
Make, doodad, change model, fiddle around with textures (maybe).
It's the same as anything else really.

Or, you can give the trees 99999999hp/regen/unkillable/removetreesastargetsonspells.

For trees specifically you dont need to do what you are asking. (Can you sense the pressure? :D)

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
its calld locust
If I meant locust I would say "Locust".

What I said and what I meant were, increasing the trees (in object editor) HP/regen/etc to something ridiculous. Or removing them from a ...

There are many ways to make the trees "unkillable", however what the OP wants to do (reduce loading time by changing destructibles to doodads) is completely, yes, completely unnecessary.

@Marsmallos:
You might save .02 of a seconds loading time by doing so, but you will increase map physical size by a larger degree. To be concerned about this is wasting time. Just use the trees as they were intended, as they are there as trees (and it sounds like you want to use them as trees), Blizzard has made them, and you will encounter problems (like the no variations) that are unecessary.

Instead of focusing on the trees to reduce loading time, instead, look at other things you can do. Preloading things helps. Optimising triggers, or using efficient Jass helps.

How long does your map take to load anyway? A longer time loading map is FAR more preferable to lags or jumpyness when you are playing the game.

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the reply :D The biggest reason, really, that I am asking is because I have very LARGE trees in my map, and it would be cool to do a "Calculate Shadows and Save Map" and have the trees cast big shadows. Unfortunately this does not work if they are destructibles, they have to be doodads to be included in the shadow calculations, if I understood it correctly.

zulamanzeegel2go4.jpg

EDIT: Oh eff-you-see-kay large image anyway this is a rather old screenshot (version 33 in the image while I am on 58 now) of how I have my trees in my map. Wouldnt it look rather nice with them big trees casting big shadows? :D (And I cant find how to put in spoiler tags either :(. Have they been removed or something?)

Anyway, part of my question remains:

is it possible to specify what model is to be used with each variation of the doodad? I had managed to discover how to specify the number of variations you wanted, but not how to select the model you want for each individual variation :p

Lumograph090

Reaction score
That's a really nice looking map. Mind me asking what its for? I'm assuming some sort of World of Warcraft map but regardless, I'm curious none-the-less!

Marsmallos

Reaction score
That's a really nice looking map. Mind me asking what its for? I'm assuming some sort of World of Warcraft map but regardless, I'm curious none-the-less!

Yes it is indeed WoW, since I am a bastard without imagination :p It is a trying-to-be-very-accurate map of the 10-man raid called "Zul'Aman"

Anyway, part of my question remains:

is it possible to specify what model is to be used with each variation of the doodad? I had managed to discover how to specify the number of variations you wanted, but not how to select the model (if possible) you want for each individual variation

Lumograph090

Reaction score
Yes it is indeed WoW, since I am a bastard without imagination :p It is a trying-to-be-very-accurate map of the 10-man raid called "Zul'Aman"

Yeah, I know ZA, other wise how would I have known it was for WoW :p

*Sorry I don't have a reply to your problem, but that's definitely a beautiful map let me know when you intend to release it for play I would love to see it in action!

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
>Marsmallos
Wait around 24 hrs please before bumping otherwise its spam.
You cant "make" variations of the tree without importing every type of tree and naming em something different.

Marsmallos

Reaction score
Yeah sorry about that, I just noticed the forum displays another time when I am logged off for some reason, so it looked like 24 hours had passed since my last post.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.