How do you fight spam and trolls on a forum?

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
My name will be unique. You'd never find it unless someone lied about their name, so yea.

KillerChi

Reaction score
I've met lots of jerks on Battle.net. Yes, I've had people threaten me on there for beating them. Now, they get to harass me in all sorts of ways. FUCKING GREAT. This is why they're not getting my real name.

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
If it was any other game than Sc2, I would just not buy it and continue on my way. Only Blizzard could do something like this and get away with it. Too many people have to buy no matter what.

I suppose battle.net will now be filled with only careless people and clever trolls to harass them.

Some people say they like the change just because it'll be a great social experiement. I'm wondering how often discussions will become personal when identities will be easy to acquire. It's going to be interesting, but at what cost.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
" Some people say they like the change just because it'll be a great social experiment "

Those same people also claim that Facebook and Twitter are social networks.
I'm sure someone will, someone day, come along and actually explain how a tweet like "OMG going for a poop #lol" passes as "social".

Having 10000 friends on failbook doesn't make you any more social than having just 10 of them.
It just means you're passing around more complete nerds that spend all their time at a screen, instead of some actual social activity like going out and meeting people.

Just goes to say how much people overestimate their importance related to the general universe.

Anyway, I'm sure lots of future employers will be rather happy when they read your random WoW rant.

And, yes, this Real ID(iot) thing is still a real bad idea.

I find it rather surprising though when grown people are caught off guard when it takes someone a mere couple minutes to find out plenty personal info when your name is known.
And then quickly close their Twitter (or whatever) page when it happens? What's the point?

Didn't they think that through?

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
And, yes, this Real ID(iot) thing is still a real bad idea.

I find it rather surprising though when grown people are caught off guard when it takes someone a mere couple minutes to find out plenty personal info when your name is known.
And then quickly close their Twitter (or whatever) page when it happens? What's the point?

Didn't they think that through?

I completely agree. It's obviously a bad idea for us customers, and I think they know that very well.
That makes me wonder, what is the real reason they're doing it? I don't buy that it is to combat trolls and spammers. It's just doesn't make any sense.

celerisk

Reaction score
" I don't buy that it is to combat trolls and spammers "

Who does? (Except them, their top execs and all shareholders)

They aren't the only ones that have given up.

I'm boldy going off topic here to put up some other example:
Settlers 7.
Released recently, got 7+ of 10 from all major game review sites (what choice do they have really?).
It certainly is the best Settlers ever.
However, as one of the reviews puts it " Broken online copy protection might keep you from playing ".

That DRM (Digital Restrictions Management) requires a permanent online connection.
Yes, for single player too.

7+ of 10?
Sure...
Here's what actual consumers think of it on Amazon: barely 1.5 stars of 5

And plenty other recent examples along the same lines.

I guess the basic idea goes around the following:
- people buy anything
- people accept anything
- our games are so great that people put up with anything
- we know it better anyway, given our general greatness
- what are you going to do about it? Not buying our games is not an option

And, so, they slowly impose their weird world views.
And it works.

All for the greater good of course.

And, if all else fails, won't somebody think of the children? Don't tell me you didn't? You must understand this as the only possible way to do things righteously.
If you don't, you're just biased.

They don't try to handle piracy or trolls or spammers or ... anymore.
This is their final answer.

In short, they have given up.

They have given up... and that from someone like me.
My list of games I bought over the last... 10 years, is basically a catalog of Blizzard products:

- WarCraft 2
- WarCraft 2 - The Expansion
- StarCraft
- StarCraft - Brood War
- WarCraft 2 - battle net edition
- Lost Vikings (!)
- StarCraft - Brood War (yep, second time)
- Diablo (might be in the wrong spot here)
- WarCraft 3
- WarCraft 3 - The Expansion
- StarCraft - Brood War (yep, third time. Don't even try to ask)
Soon:
- StarCraft 2 - 1
- StarCraft 2 - 2
- StarCraft 2 - 3

Potentially some "expansion" to SC2.

But, well, that's it.
It doesn't matter anymore what else they might come up with.
My story with Blizzard will end with SC2.

How did it ever happen... I mean, the top Blizzard people worked for 15+ years, hard, to get great games out, and create a company of value, trust and fanatical gamers.
Nowadays they go corporate.

Don't they have problems sleeping nights?

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Bashiok got owned, and proved what a bad idea this is, anyone who wants to do some reading about Bashioks name, address and such here is original thread where he posted his name, its quite funny

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25712374892&sid=1&pageNo=1

:eek:
Someone please confirm that it was only 6 minutes from him posting his name to someone posting good links to his info. I have trouble believing that.

I know that I'm not going to buy sc2 but I'm still subscribed to husky on youtube:(. the gameplay still looks good.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
What's next? Social Security number?

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
They should be more concerned about their fanbase, which is getting significantly smaller with every day that passes. (see Cerealisk*'s post)
The thread on the WoW forum reached over 40000 replies in 2 days.

On the bright side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgAkWxcPBE

*oh I hope I didn't spell that wrong

celerisk

Reaction score
It would seem the spamming and trolling will simply continue as usual...

Mike Morhaime said:
... we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums ...

Source

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
This proves that enough people complain about it, and it proves something that may be used against them (such as google view of their employee's house), they will change things.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.