How to get "real" damage source?

Skippy

Reaction score
Hi again,

In my map I have spell that makes a dummy unit to cast chain lightning.
Another spell returns damage back to its source (something like Blade mail in DotA).

If I return damage to damage source, it will damage dummy unit instead of spell caster. How to fix it? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
If there's only one caster who'll use this in the whole game, the simplest way to do this is by creating a unit variable, and setting the variable to the caster.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
1) let it damage the dummy and then detect when the dummy is damaged and damage the hero who created the dummy

2) trigger the chain lightning instead of using dummy's so that the damage source is the caster

3) accept that it's difficult to do what you want and ignore it in some instances (like dota did)

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
If it's an AoS you could put every dummy unit created for the hero into a unit group. When a unit in that unit group does damage to the hero with the return damage, trigger damage to the other hero who "owns" the unit group full of dummies. Not MUI, but it is MPI if you use arrays and isn't a problem in an AoS sort of map.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
If it's an AoS you could put every dummy unit created for the hero into a unit group. When a unit in that unit group does damage to the hero with the return damage, trigger damage to the other hero who "owns" the unit group full of dummies. Not MUI, but it is MPI if you use arrays and isn't a problem in an AoS sort of map.

now that I think about it, that would make sense, but dummy's usually have inv. from locust, which means they wouldn't take damage?

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
3) accept that it's difficult to do what you want and ignore it in some instances (like dota did)
Hmm ... dunno if it's right to tell him something like that. I mean; how the hell would Dota ever be a measure of what you can achieve with the editor? Dota is VERY poorly triggered and just because Dota couldn't handle it, it doesn't mean that anyone with average knowledge would not be able to do it.
Writing a triggered chain lightning (or a damage reflection) is not hard when you start from a point were you have accepted, that all skills have to be triggered.

Full control is always the best approach to everything, if you ask me. No more workarounds, no complicated exceptions; just plain script.

I highly recommend using Jesus4Lyfs awesome Damage detection system, simply block all incoming damage and then fully trigger everything on your own.

You will realize that often, it's way more efficient and simple to just use pre-made spells as Art-dummies and trigger all the damaging and stuff by yourself. As a bonus, you can also create nice dynamic damage without having to use ability levels.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.