How to improve Wc3 human strategy

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Why would a good player want to fight noobs? They create a new account just to fight low levels? I don't get it. Also how prevalent are hackers in wc3 ladder?
So they can win more. Some of them want to see how many wins they can get before they lose, or how hight level they can get, or how good of a percentage they can get.

Hacking is very common. Perhaps less so as of late, but still common, probably more so the higher level the people.

Also, defend on footmen makes them do much better against any unit with piercing attack. Footmen with defend would have been good against headhunters. (Remember, defend has to be activated to work)

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Well I just got my 20th win with Human. I was really hoping for a 20-10 record but ended up with 20-11. Guess what! I lost to another level 1. He said he just made a new account with some excuse like the name would make his friend laugh. It's amazing how many games I win because the opponent gives up after he failed assaulting either my base or my outpost. I think its the MK stun. It takes about 1 stun to kill each hero with lvl 3 damage upgrade, a couple knights and gryphons. I think the biggest thing that's improved over time is my base building and expansion skills. Creeping is still a problem with me, MK doesn't really seem to be a good at creeping. I still haven't played Archmage yet. Once I get to 25 kills, I'll post a replay so you can see progress, or lack of.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
I tried making sorceress in a game against orc. He went tauren chieftain and he owned me pretty bad.

You know, one thing I have noticed is people always attack the tauren chieftain. It is the hardiest hero in the game, especially lvl 6+. Some advice, when playing against a TC user, don't focus fire on it unless you are creep jacking and it has taken some damage. Otherwise focus on his units. Anytime I use the TC, I always go warstomp and always send it into the enemy first and stomp away. Even if it dies, by the time it does I have crippled my enemies army.

Against a blade master, stuns are it's mortal enemy because it is by no means hardy, and can be killed quickly.

One thing that you might find incredibly useful. Griffins do magic damage right? Hm, what can you do to amp that damage up by, I dunno, a lot maybe? I know! Banish. Banish makes units ethereal, and ethereal units take major damage from magic and spells. Make an MC and a blood mage and a bunch of griffins. Banish the enemy hero, and attack it with the griffins. What does a lvl 3 storm bolt do? 255 damage I think? What is that doubled (I think it doubles the damage)? That comes to 510 damage. Even a level 6 or higher hero will be seriously hurting from that. And against heavily armored units? Don't get me started. a banished tauren will go down amazingly fast to a few griffins. This strategy I use to kill expensive units like frost wyrms, chims, and tauren, as quickly as possible. Plus, banish has like, a one second cooldown.

Also, I generally only make 2, maybe 3 units as meat in one vs one games. If I am night elf, I will make one MG and that is all my meat. Bears are good for their heal and their roar, and imo, as for fighting, they are the weakest 3rd tier meat (Knights have 2 more armor and about the same health, Aboms have more health, and tauren just own). So I will make one just for the roar and heal and keep it in the back.

Back to humans. As for priests, always have a couple, inner fire can really increase the longevity of your units (with inner fire and a level 3 devotion aura, knights get a total of 20.5 armor, which gives about 50% damage reduction), along with heal, and dispell will stop nec users in their tracks. Sorceresses, your choice, but slow is a powerful spell and polymorph is just mean. And invisibility can make for nasty strategies. Spellbreakers, sure, it says in the tooltip that they are a caster killer, but a mortar unit will make much much much quicker work of casters. I find them to be more useful for spell steal, and they are good for sapping an enemy melee hero's mana. But for the most part I don't use them much.

Mortars will completely annihilate anything that is classified as unarmored, plus they are non mechanical and can receive heals and inner fire from your priests and can become invisible. If you are teamed with an orc, mortars are deadly with bloodlust.

Those are just some helpful tips, so don't use them against me now ok?

PS, undead is NOT the weakest race. That guy was just a stereotypical loser.

Daskunk

Reaction score
Well I just got my 20th win with Human. I was really hoping for a 20-10 record but ended up with 20-11. Guess what! I lost to another level 1. He said he just made a new account with some excuse like the name would make his friend laugh. It's amazing how many games I win because the opponent gives up after he failed assaulting either my base or my outpost. I think its the MK stun. It takes about 1 stun to kill each hero with lvl 3 damage upgrade, a couple knights and gryphons. I think the biggest thing that's improved over time is my base building and expansion skills. Creeping is still a problem with me, MK doesn't really seem to be a good at creeping. I still haven't played Archmage yet. Once I get to 25 kills, I'll post a replay so you can see progress, or lack of.
MK is fine for creeping. Mirco your units so none of them take all the damage (You ARE creeping with your footment, right?) and get use a healing item once you get too hurt and you should be fine. Could you post a replay of what trouble you have creeping??

It's likely that after failing the attack, they see how big of an army you have and think you could beat them if you attack. But you seem un-aggressive, or either that afraid to lose units. o_O

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I'm having trouble dealing with Night Elfs. Specifically with Demon Hunter. His mana burn hurts if he attacks early game. Here's my last replay. I luckily won this by making the decision to try and harass his base with gryphons.

Also, Druid of the Claws are incredibly hard for me to beat. That with dryads are a deadly combination that I don't know how to deal with.

I decided to host the replay. I was hoping the win would knock me up to level 10, I just need 8 more xp. How much xp do you get normally, does it depend on the level of the opponent?

Basically I built up a base with a lot of towers. Kept all my melee units inside with some priests. I then sent gryphons to attack the base. He made a attack at the end but my towers chewed them up and the gryphons annihilated his base by that point.

edit* Lol, I forgot to post the replay, here you go (ps a little foul language at the end, I would have been pissed as well)

Attachments

• Won-Human Night Elf.w3g
    86.8 KB · Views: 267

Daskunk

Reaction score
I'm having trouble dealing with Night Elfs. Specifically with Demon Hunter. His mana burn hurts if he attacks early game. Here's my last replay. I luckily won this by making the decision to try and harass his base with gryphons.

Also, Druid of the Claws are incredibly hard for me to beat. That with dryads are a deadly combination that I don't know how to deal with.

I decided to host the replay. I was hoping the win would knock me up to level 10, I just need 8 more xp. How much xp do you get normally, does it depend on the level of the opponent?

Basically I built up a base with a lot of towers. Kept all my melee units inside with some priests. I then sent gryphons to attack the base. He made a attack at the end but my towers chewed them up and the gryphons annihilated his base by that point.

edit* Lol, I forgot to post the replay, here you go (ps a little foul language at the end, I would have been pissed as well)
Nightelf is, IMO, the most powerfull race. The demon hunter is certainly the most powerfull hero, even more so at high level. If he attacks early, stormbolt him before he mana burns and surround him while he's stunned. Hopefully you should be able to chase him away.

Bears and dryads are a good combination, its been awhile since I've played latter but gryphons and gunmen might work.

Your creeping and base building has improved, allthough I still think your base could use some work. Have you tried using your shop yet?

And yes, lots of people cuss and swear and make excuses when they lose, its not uncommon. =|

Heres a quick replay:
  1. I haven't played in a long time, so Im rusty.
  2. This replay in generally a bad example, I played horribly.
  3. This is only ment to show how I build my base, and how to fast expo.
  4. Computer had 50% handycap.

Attachments

• Example.w3g
    37.1 KB · Views: 266

Genkora

Reaction score
Dryads will go down in seconds to mortar fire. They are good for killing a fleeing hero or if the enemy has massed magic dealing units. As for chims, they hit hard but it's nothing a few dragonhawks can't control. Use dragonhawks to chain chims, and tanks or flying machines to kill hippos. Flying machines are best imo, tanks are only better if the enemy has a massive amount of aa. but both are good, your call there. against mountain giants, don't focus on them, their damage is mediocre, just make sure you order you units to attack something else when it taunts. Against a demon hunter, you want to try kill units rather than the demon hunter and just use things like stuns and banish on it to keep it from attacking. Unless it is at low health. At high levels, demon hunter is really hard to kill because of the evasion.

Generally, a rule (well, that I go by at least) is that if the enemy has easily killed unit, kill the units while stunning banishing entangling etc the hero, if not, kill the hero while trying to stun or polymorph or banish etc the units. But also keep in mind that some heroes can support others quite well. If fighting ndead and they have a death knight, always kill the death knight or the other heroes wont die. Night elves thankfully (for you) don't have any sort of combo like that unless they have a level 6 keepr of the grove.

When fighting someone who is good with night elves, you need to have a wide variety of units. Knights and Griffins won't do the job, griffins will get killed by hippos and after that your knights won't have anything to back them up and will get picked off.

Bottom line, try adding 2 or 3 dragon hawks and like 20 flying machines into your mix of units.

Genkora

Reaction score
Bears own mortars, though.

yeah, I guess if all you had was mortars. But bears are big, they have rather large collision, so they would have a very tough time getting to your mortars. Against night elves, I would be worried about chims killing my mortars, not bears.

Daskunk

Reaction score
yeah, I guess if all you had was mortars. But bears are big, they have rather large collision, so they would have a very tough time getting to your mortars. Against night elves, I would be worried about chims killing my mortars, not bears.
Well, we were talking about if he had dryads and bears, not if he had chims. :p

Genkora

Reaction score
Well, we were talking about if he had dryads and bears, not if he had chims. :p

well, either way, I wouldn't find bears much of a threat to my mortars if I had a few knights and could banish the bears at the same time with my blood mage. (which is probably my favorite human hero) Of course, a good night elf player isn't going to make only bears and dryads, it's too easy to counter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.