Tutorial How to make a 32x32 dessert map!

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
How to make a 32x32 desert map!

How to make a 32x32 desert/Barrens map

Start:
First of all create a new map, using the tileset Barrens (it got the best desert opportunities, but you can use other tilesets also, for example Outland if you want some scorched desert.). Then what you should do is get some random ideas, monuments, statues, you name it!

Note: Before trying to use this, i would suggest you are either a novice terrainer, or read novice terrain tutorials. So you have an idea how to use multiple tiles to make better terrain (It's very simple).

Blizzard Cliffs:
Then (this will piss off every single good terrainer), but make few/small areas with blizzard cliffs, they tend to get a really good look in dessert. Also try to use Archways/Caves if you finally use blizzard cliffs. You can use it in corners, here i have for example made some simple stuff in left corner top:

Custom Hills + Few Details:
We will add details later, so dont worry my friends :thup:. Now we're going too add some custom hills, i prefer to do corners before i move myself into the middle of the map. Use pathing blockers so the hills is unwalkable and no one can get on them. So here i made some hills with some tileset and barrens trees. I have used some River rushses and Shrub (Can be found under Village - Environment) to make it more interresting, but dont spam them since we need it too seem very dry, it is afterall a desert :p. Here is the result:

Adding something unique to the map:
In this map i started making some kind of road out of the map with hills surrounding the path. Making hills around the map will get a nice ending and gives less work. I have started to make more details - making more doodads. Try to find the environment doodad called "Rock Pillar". Increasing its size greatly will give it a nice dessert look, add pathing blockers around the doodad after being placed. You can make "rivers" by modifying waterfalls or make big waterfalls in the map. Make small creep camps, i have added a small creep camp also, here is it shown (yes i am using the area from the first screenshot, because i found it very good fitting with the creeps):

Custom Models:
Custom Models is a great way to get a more unique and prettier terraining, but i wont put any custom models in this map/tutorial, but i suggest in future terrain job, that you use custom models. Finding custom models go on www.hiveworkshop.com or website like that.

Finishing of the map:
Add a sky, find it under Scenario - Map Preferences - Sky Display. Then add some birds to the map to give a more realistic effect. If a spot seems empty then try to add some doodads/plants/trees at the position or make a mini-event. Here is pictures of the finals of the map:
and

Final Tip:
Listen to some music while making a map, it always help me while terraining :thup:.

Notice: i made this map on 1 hour or so, while making the tutorial.

Here is the final result of the map. I hope you liked the tutorial!

Attachments

• Terraining - Dessert Map.w3x
    23.2 KB · Views: 189

Atreyu

One Last Breath.
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to do.. Just think and imagine.. Look at my custom title. But good job. +rep.

It's from Einstein. <3 =)

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It's pretty easy to do.. Just think and imagine.. Look at my custom title. But good job. +rep.

Thats a very good motto i must admit. This is maybe easy to make, but not if you have a clue how to start. But else yes it is. Thanks for the positivity :thup:

Yeah, he is a genious butt

Furberg

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You promised me dessert.
Now... WHERE IS IT?

:(

Here is it:

dessert.jpg

Sorry for the type error. I will try to fix all, I meant DESERT. Not dessert.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.