I need a list of scary movies...

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Ok I was thinking of hitting up the local video rental store and have a scary movie marathon or something.

So I need a list of -good- scary movies you've seen.

I mean like, genuinely scary. I don't mean lots of gore, because gore doesn't make a movie scary (SAW, Freddy/Jason etc...That's NOT scary).

I mean like psychological, mess with your mind / things pop up on the screen suddenly and stuff. I also hate movies that reveal / give you too much info on WHAT is killing people / doing bad things too early in the movie etc.

One of the best examples I have is "The Descent". 'Nuff said. Stuff like Gothika, The Hills have Eyes etc is good also.

And nothing prior to hmm... let's say 1995.

If you suggest zombie movies, the only truly good ones are
- Dawn of the Dead (remake)
- 28 xxxx Later series

So like horror/thriller/mystery etc etc.

and +rep of course.

Thanks!

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
if your local rental store have any foreign, e.g. japanese or korean movies. Look for scary movies in those sections, cause once you've seen a scary movie ( a good one of course) from either of those countries, the hollywood made movies will look like its nothing. I remember we were watching this movie about a family being haunted, i basically couldn't stop thinking about it for atleast a month.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
hmm i guess, just try to lay your hands on anything you can find lol... i doubt they will have a massive selection of them so... ;)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Ring is the only one I can think of at the moment. :p
It certainly meets your criteria though.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
GP506 is more towards gory than scary.

Thai:
Shutter
Long Khong (Black magic)
Coming Soon
Cadaver

Japan:
Ju On (aka The Grudge)
Ringu (aka Ring)
Audition
Reincarnation

Korean:
A Tale of Two Sisters

Chinese:
The Eye

American:
Amytiville Horror

Above are list of movies I watched before (except Coming Soon). There are a few more, but I can't remember the titles. Warning on the Thai movies though. They are really scary. Really. Also please watch the original ones. Don't watch the American remakes.

Some great reviews here.

I'm a great horror fan :p. Have been following Saw for 7 years. One of the best psychological thriller around.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Horrorfest 2010 :)
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/horrorfest2010/

Those foreign scary movies are always so weird, very strange. The scariness is more like weirdness. But uncertainty is always scary, so they are scary.
Saw goes downhill as the numbers go up.
Zombie movies are good. Add a zombie list here too :D

There's too many remakes of the foreign movies, hard to find which one you mean, heh.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the replies so far.

I was googling stuff like "Top 10 horror films", "Best Horror films" but in all the lists I found I had to strongly disagree with their choices. Some put stuff from like 1950 in and.... just no.

Zakyath

Reaction score
Scariest films I've ever seen must've been Quarantine (REC is original, not in english though) or The Strangers. And I've seen a lot. If I come to think of anything else, I'll tell you. I saw Rod Zombie's Halloween the other day. It was good, but not that scary, though...

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
GP506 is more towards gory than scary.

Youve heard of GP506? *gasp* i only heard about it because i was looking up horror stories on wikipedia o_O i dont really watch horror movies. It sounded more like a thriller then gory.

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
[REC] (2007)American version is "Quarantine", though the Spanish/original [Rec] is much better.

Mothman Prophecies (2002) Rotten Tomatoes score for it is highly mixed, it has a (in my mind) more strong points then it does weak, though the films major set back is that it doesn't clarify very much, and ends up posing more questions. Which for me is a huge plus, but most people think otherwise. Its a lot like a long X-File episode.

Dead Alive (1993) Peter Jackson gore-horror-comedy. Its hilarious, not very scary though.

I was googling stuff like "Top 10 horror films", "Best Horror films" but in all the lists I found I had to strongly disagree with their choices. Some put stuff from like 1950 in and.... just no.

Thus you will never make it in the academic film world. :p

Zakyath

Reaction score
>[REC] (2007)American version is "Quarantine", though the Spanish/original [Rec] is much better.

I haven't seen REC. Seems to be the exact same movie with other actors a different language. Is the difference really that big? If you don't speak spanish or whatever it is in, you'll need subs which is likely to make you lose focus on everything else in the movie. Is it really worth it?

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
>[REC] (2007)American version is "Quarantine", though the Spanish/original [Rec] is much better.

I haven't seen REC. Seems to be the exact same movie with other actors a different language. Is the difference really that big? If you don't speak spanish or whatever it is in, you'll need subs which is likely to make you lose focus on everything else in the movie. Is it really worth it?

Quarantine was made after REC, they basically used REC as their story board. I think they have english audio, and english subs, though frankly just watching it in spanish with neither can add to the experience. None of what they say is particularly integral. Though if subs are a turn off, I guess just grab Quarantine.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
wow, I was watching the scary REC trailer and it FROZE RIGHT at the zombie girl, I had to cover my eyes and slowly find the close button. In that trailer, I think they overdid it. 2 minutes of a zombie chasing you gets unscary o.o

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Jimpy

The Invisible Observer
Reaction score
wow, I was watching the scary REC trailer and it FROZE RIGHT at the zombie girl, I had to cover my eyes and slowly find the close button. In that trailer, I think they overdid it. 2 minutes of a zombie chasing you gets unscary o.o

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Yea I agree they over did the trailer. The films much more suspenseful then "BAM ZOMBIES!"

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> Youve heard of GP506?

I watched it. :p It's about an infection. Can't tell more or I may spoil it unintentionally. Blood everywhere, fingernails pop off... Sounds gory to me. First Korean gore movie I've ever watched.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.