US News Inmate gets $300,000 for lost genitals

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
OLYMPIA, Wash., Nov. 18 (UPI) -- Washington state has agreed to pay $300,000 to an ex-prison inmate whose penis was consumed by a flesh-eating bacteria while he was behind bars.

Charlie Manning told The Seattle Times Monday he will have $115,000 left after paying attorney's fees arising from his lawsuit and other bills. He expects to get the money this week.

"It's been a nightmare," Manning said. "I figured I should settle for what I could get because I just want it behind me. It's unreal. It's like something from Mars."

Manning, 61, was serving a 13-month sentence for a drunken fight when he became ill. The prison doctor wrongly diagnosed his symptoms as an allergic reaction to medication. It turned out he had necrotizing fasciitis and the bacteria destroyed his penis and one testicle.

Whole story here.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
OMG!!! Flesh eating bacteria is attacking my penis!!! My Penis!!!!.... OMG ...There is bacteria... and yes it is flesh EATING, and it is on my penis and my genitals. Whoa, Have mercy on me Jesus. Have mercy on ME!! Please don't let it eat my penis.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
LOL in Australia we had a 'One punch can kill' campaign to try stop drunken violence in clubs and pubs.... if it was 'One punch can lose you your penis and $275k' I think it would have been more effective.

Screw the legal fees tho... I mean sure this guy commited a crime to end up there, but to lose his genitals under government care due to a wrong diagnosis should be an open and shut case... not span out and cost over 2/3's of his winnings. There is no justice in this world

shinami

Redirect your complaints to the nearest wall
Reaction score
Bacteria that eat penises? I didn't even know such existed..

eellem1

Life is made of the little things, live it well
Reaction score
The poor man has lost his Penis and one testicle from a flesh eating bacteria and all he gets is $300,000 before attorney fees????? OMG!!!

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
The poor man has lost his Penis and one testicle from a flesh eating bacteria and all he gets is $300,000 before attorney fees????? OMG!!!
Something of a fair deal if you ask me. If this had happened in another public building like a hospital or the like then the compensation should be higher, but as he was there because he had committed a crime in the first place, I think what he got was fair.

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
Something of a fair deal if you ask me. If this had happened in another public building like a hospital or the like then the compensation should be higher, but as he was there because he had committed a crime in the first place, I think what he got was fair.

Are you serious? Have you never been in a fight and think it's such a sin?

A friend of mine served 6 months reduced from something like a 3 year jail term for the same thing. This is how it happened -

My friend wasn't a violent type at all, just 18 (legal drinking age in aust) and was fresh to the club scene. He went out with some mates to a pub and they lined up for some drinks. One of his mates was then pushed out the way by some guy who then the mate spoke up to just to find his ass thrown over a chair. Seeing this my friend stepped up to protect his mate and punched the guy in the face with a lucky shot that shattered his jaw. All he did was stand up for his mate and his own rights, so if he lost his genitals in prison that would be ok too would it? Just because you get involved in a fight doesn't mean you are the devil.

13 months was the sentence for this guys actions, not having his cock eaten alive. Losing your genitals would cause more then $115k grief in my opinion

EatShrooms

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Are you serious? Have you never been in a fight and think it's such a sin?

A friend of mine served 6 months reduced from something like a 3 year jail term for the same thing. This is how it happened -

My friend wasn't a violent type at all, just 18 (legal drinking age in aust) and was fresh to the club scene. He went out with some mates to a pub and they lined up for some drinks. One of his mates was then pushed out the way by some guy who then the mate spoke up to just to find his ass thrown over a chair. Seeing this my friend stepped up to protect his mate and punched the guy in the face with a lucky shot that shattered his jaw. All he did was stand up for his mate and his own rights, so if he lost his genitals in prison that would be ok too would it? Just because you get involved in a fight doesn't mean you are the devil.

13 months was the sentence for this guys actions, not having his cock eaten alive. Losing your genitals would cause more then $115k grief in my opinion

Thank you, I didn't want to bother replying to Wiseman.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Well, as the article did not state whther or not he started the fight I was left to assume he did play a major role in starting it. Which I think leaves you pretty damn guilty. My main point was that those who commit crimes deserve less than those who might suffer the same thing somewhere else.

Furthermore, I would not consider self-defense worthy of a jail term. If you are the antagonist then you deserve a jail term.

Yes, if your penis gets eaten by bacteria then you obviously deserve something to compensate for your loss.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.