Sci/Tech Invisibility cloak that generates virtual images gets closer to realization

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
In a twist on the concept of an invisibility cloak, researchers have designed a material that not only makes an object invisible, but also generates one or more virtual images in its place. Because it doesn't simply display the background environment to a viewer, this kind of optical device could have applications that go beyond a normal invisibility cloak. Plus, unlike previously proposed illusion devices, the design proposed here could be realized with artificial metamaterials.

The team of engineers, Wei Xiang Jiang, Hui Feng Ma, Qiang Cheng, and Tie Jun Cui from Southeast University in Nanjing, China, describes the recently developed class of optical transformation media as “illusion media.” As they explain in a new study, any object enclosed by such an illusion medium layer appears to be one or more other objects. The researchers’ proposed device is designed to operate at microwave frequencies.

“The illusion media make an enclosed object appear like another object or multiple virtual objects,” Cui told PhysOrg.com. “Hence it can be applied to confuse the detectors or the viewers, and the detectors or the viewers can’t perceive the real object. As a result, the enclosed object will be protected.”

As the researchers explain, illusion media is similar to an invisibility cloak, except for one main difference. In a perfect invisibility cloak, there are almost no scattering electric fields, so that the illusion space is only free space. In illusion media, on the other hand, the material creates scattered electric field patterns that generate virtual images. Any detector located outside the illusion medium layer will perceive the electromagnetic waves as if they were scattered from a virtual object.

Want to know More?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Sweeeeet. I want one.

(And with the words of someone I know 'You want everything that's new :p')

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't get it - what does it look like (assuming it's turned off/you can see it), what size/shape? do people/things fit inside?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Uh. That's personal :eek:

But it has to do with the girl's locker rooms... Wait... Did I really just type that? o_O'

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I dunno, who could it be!?!

I smell spies... With invisibility cloaks! They may be hiding as my keyboard :O

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
But it has to do with the girl's locker rooms... Wait... Did I really just type that? o_O'

Yes you did, and that is the only great thing that can come out of this device:D

We could be heading in a direction as depicted in the game "Ghost Recon Future Soldier":(

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Hiring Exorcist, $500 an hou- AARIATGIU AEHBEQAIOHWEQAQW)#@W#!QYT)#@!Y @!_(#!U^ #!QU#

la_piedra

Reaction score
So we already have the handheld Hologram Projector and the Invisibility Cloak. When a few years from now Apple announces their new iRod we'll finally get the full Deathly Hallows pack!

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.