iPhone 4 announced... thoughts?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
i am so excited on what will happen a few years, or even months from now, phones are becoming quite something.

(p.s. im the only person that has lower cased his first word in the entire thread, lol)

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I have a Jailbroken iPhone, so most of these software features aren't anything new to me. However, the new hardware looks, and sounds absolutely awesome; so I'm hoping to get one as soon as possible.

Hopefully I'll get some money when my exams finish, provided my results are good.
True, remember though, Apple's multi-tasking will be much better (for performance and battery life) than any jail break could offer.
I think after OS 4.0 the only reason to jailbreak will be for Cydia apps? Is that right? Or are there other goodies people want that Apple hasn't covered yet?
Needs a better camera -- 5MP is 2008, and 720p had already been done. bump it to 8 and we're talking. Yes, I wish my phone's 5MP camera is 8.
More megapixels doesn't necessarily mean better quality photos, just bigger. A photo taken with a 5 megapixel camera is huge, what do you need 8 for?

Quote from elsewhere:
While the rear-facing camera fails to match the resolution of other smartphones moving to 8 or even 12 megapixels, Steve Jobs was careful to mention during the iPhone's introduction that image quality also depends in large part on other factors, and the iPhone's backside-illuminated camera sensor with large pixel sizes allows it to deliver excellent image quality under normal and low-light situations.

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
Yes, I do notice MP does not mean a damn thing (I work as a camera sales right now), 8MP gives me more room to improve the image quality, where as 5MP does not. From the samples I've seen, it definitely still need the extra boost in image quality (and no, it is not better than any high-end cameraphones right now).

>backside-illuminated camera sensor with large pixel sizes allows it to deliver excellent image quality under normal and low-light situations.

That's exactly what Sony said in their Alpha cams, and they are still nowhere near the quality of the C/N combo. Overly aggressive noise reduction, here we go, again (we need to make NR disappear).

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
Trust me, unless you are streaming videos for 3 hours everyday, you are not hitting the 2GB mark in any way, shape, or form. And yes, I tried with that purpose in mind.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> True, remember though, Apple's multi-tasking will be much better (for performance and battery life) than any jail break could offer.
Of course; though multitasking is only one of many features of jailbreak.

> I think after OS 4.0 the only reason to jailbreak will be for Cydia apps? Is that right? Or are there other goodies people want that Apple hasn't covered yet?
Those Cydia Packages are all that Jailbreaks really are. iOS4 is still nothing compared to a Jailbreak phone.

> you can currently jailbreak the iOS4 so, i would go for it, i would totally buy it if i had the money
I'll do that. :)

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
> True, remember though, Apple's multi-tasking will be much better (for performance and battery life) than any jail break could offer.
Of course; though multitasking is only one of many features of jailbreak.

> I think after OS 4.0 the only reason to jailbreak will be for Cydia apps? Is that right? Or are there other goodies people want that Apple hasn't covered yet?
Those Cydia Packages are all that Jailbreaks really are. iOS4 is still nothing compared to a Jailbreak phone.

> you can currently jailbreak the iOS4 so, i would go for it, i would totally buy it if i had the money
I'll do that. :)
So, people only really jailbreak to download pirated apps?

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
no. there were utilities and others that people found to be helpful like SBSettings etc..

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> So, people only really jailbreak to download pirated apps?
Cydia Packages and Pirated Apps are completely different things.

> no. there were utilities any others that people found to be helpful like SBSettings etc..
Exactly. :)

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
at&t is offering rebates (50-16/100-32) or upgrades to those who recently bought a g3

and I don't quite know since I don't have one, but I have heard that you get charged for tethering, which I think is absurd - I would hope you can get around this by jail-breaking the phone

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
i think jailbreaking can untether your phone. As far as i know

Do you know what tethering is? Doesn't seem like it.

And yes, you do get charged for tethering. I believe it's $20 or $25 a month extra with no extra GB added to your data plan.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score

And yes, you do get charged for tethering. I believe it's $20 or $25 a month extra with no extra GB added to your data plan.
^

I think you can tether if you jailbreak, if not you can get MyWi and create your own network from your 3G signal, which an iPad, or any other (afaik) WiFi device can connect to.
no. there were utilities any others that people found to be helpful like SBSettings etc..
Ah I see.
Cydia Packages and Pirated Apps are completely different things.
Hmm, interesting... Do these packages include features Apple is ever likely to add?

ElderKingpin

Reaction score

i guess i dont then >.>

Ok i looked it up, yes jailbreaking allows tethering.

>Hmm, interesting... Do these packages include features Apple is ever likely to add?

Probably not. Apple wouldnt approve of some of them

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
if your contract ends in 2010, you can get an upgrade to the iphone 4 :D

This doesn't answer the question of "do they change my data plan when I get the new phone" :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.