World Iran launches home-built satellite rocket

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Iran said it had launched a rocket carrying a test-satellite into space on Sunday, in a move that could further exacerbate tensions with the West over its nuclear drive.

"The Safir (Ambassador) rocket was successfully launched. All its systems...are Iranian made," Reza Taghipour, head of Iran's space agency, told state television, adding that a "test satellite was put into orbit."

"We have paved the way for placing a satellite in space in future," state television said, showing images of the dawn rocket launch.

Last edited:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Uh-oh. Hope they don't plan to try and shoot nukes from space :(

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Iran said it had launched a rocket carrying a test-satellite into space on Sunday, in a move that could further exacerbate tensions with the West over its nuclear drive.

"The Safir (Ambassador) rocket was successfully launched. All its systems...are Iranian made," Reza Taghipour, head of Iran's space agency, told state television, adding that a "test satellite was put into orbit."

"We have paved the way for placing a satellite in space in future," state television said, showing images of the dawn rocket launch.

Read the news here.

One of the reasons that Star Wars: Missile Defense System wasn't placed into orbit was that our government wanted to avoid space combat. If Iran is going to stick their heads on a platter, then so be it. America could blast them out of the sky and then blow their country into orbit. I can't believe that Iran could be so arrogant.

I'm sorry for sounding so narrow minded Conservative, but Iran is really starting to piss me off. They went too far.

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
Actually, on the scale of national budgets, space programs are very cheap. Compare NASA's annual budget with the other federal departments, for instance. And Iran's program is nowhere near as complicated and expensive as something like probes to Mars, or the International Space Station. For pity's sake, if Richard Branson can afford to build a spacecraft, surely the most powerful country in the Middle East ought to be able to slap one together! :)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Rofl the iranian oil goes to the terrorists or is sold to other countries. The country is dying soon. I am holding on to the MOST obvious way, which is stealing from their own people.

... do you seriously believe any of what you say?

Holy crap..where are they getting the money to build these craps?

Their GDP in 2007 was like 750 billion. They're one of the top exporters of oil too. They're a pretty powerful country.

Actually, on the scale of national budgets, space programs are very cheap. Compare NASA's annual budget with the other federal departments, for instance. And Iran's program is nowhere near as complicated and expensive as something like probes to Mars, or the International Space Station. For pity's sake, if Richard Branson can afford to build a spacecraft, surely the most powerful country in the Middle East ought to be able to slap one together!

Not really. They don't get near as much money as the DoD, but look at the difference in size and how much progress is made by each per dollar.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Congratz Iran only about 48 years behind the space race but better late then never...

Uh-oh. Hope they don't plan to try and shoot nukes from space :(

That's the fear that started the entire Space Race in the first place...

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
So, I predict WW3 will officially start around the time I graduate highschool and will be able to be drafted, around June next year.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Rofl the iranian oil goes to the terrorists or is sold to other countries. The country is dying soon. I am holding on to the MOST obvious way, which is stealing from their own people.

Actually the most obvious way would be something you clearly pointed out in your own post. "Oil is SOLD to other countries." How would "stealing from their own people" be more obvious than selling oil?

Battlemapsta

I am the Conduit of Change
Reaction score
This is what I say; religious extremism is a physiological milestone unfathomable in limit and inexorable through the actions implemented by its zealous believers.

If u can possibly imagine the world without religion and everyone living peacefully without it, then this Iranian propaganda would disipate to nothing.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
So, I predict WW3 will officially start around the time I graduate highschool and will be able to be drafted, around June next year.
Join the club. I've already commenced training for my local Guerilla Combat Unit and when it all goes off we're going to hide in some remote mountains, away from the nukes, and wait for when the time is right to strike :p

As for satellite based weaponry, the US has something in development a little shinier than bog-standard nuke-launching satellites; that is, the so-called Rods from God system (entry #2) (the main article here).

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
Varine, I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about here. Of course the DoD gets more funding than NASA; my point was that so does almost everybody else.

As of Fiscal Year 2008, NASA got less than 1% of the United States federal budget (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Budget). Even the laughably underfunded Departments of Education and Veteran's Affairs get several times that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_budget,_2008). And it's always been this way: the biggest piece of the pie NASA ever got was a whopping 4%, during the Apollo moon missions. That's still less than we're spending every year on Medicaid alone.

Shawtybaby, do you have any sources for your claims about Iran? I'm no fan of the country myself, but Sqrage has a point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.