World Japan: Yale professor tells Japanese senior citizens to ‘kill themselves’, but why?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Tokyo: Old people in Japan should “kill themselves” to ease the state from burdening itself, said a Yale University professor.

Yusuke Narita, an assistant professor of economics at Yale, was referring to the growing population of the elderly in the country. He also said that euthanasia must be made compulsory in Japan.

Speaking to New York Times he said, “I feel like the only solution is pretty clear.”

Equating mass suicide with ‘Seppuku’, a ritual disembowelment that was forced upon samurai that had dishonoured the country during the 19th century, Professor Narita said, “In the end, isn’t it mass suicide and mass ‘seppuku’ of the elderly?”

Japan’s population has, for the first time, recorded an increase in the elderly population.

Narita’s comments have invited a lot of criticism from people. Defending his remarks about mass suicide as a “metaphor”, the 37-year-old professor said, “I should have been more careful about their potential negative connotations.”

He added, “After some self-reflection, I stopped using the words last year.”

Yusuke Narita explained the logic behind his remarks to New York Times. He claims that measures like euthanasia would make way for younger people in businesses, politics and other aspects of society that older people refuse to leave.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.