RPG Journey to Ascension

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
minimap.jpg

I created this map because I was tired of boring, poorly-terrained RPGs in which your unit has 2 active abilities, a passive and an ultimate. I was tired of maps with hideous terrains where the game was entirely composed of killing creeps and grinding to no apparent end, with no sense of accomplishment and certainly no fun.

I intend for this map to be entertaining, with an average of 4-5 active abilities per unit, with a variety of quests, terrains and units to choose from. In addition, it is should to take skill and teamwork to survive encounters with challenging enemies.

Look out for secret areas, there are many hidden places that lead you to health and experience tomes!

edit: The premise of my map is that instead of having one hero that levels up, you have a hero that levels up but then can be transformed into stronger heroes with better abilities.

Screenshots:
enemies.jpg

wc3scrnshot052009142815.jpg

wc3scrnshot052009142829.jpg

wc3scrnshot052009142838.jpg

wc3scrnshot052009142900.jpg

Map progress:
I've been really dedicated to this map for awhile, but have recently decided to probably give it up. I had lots of good ideas, but they were either not unique enough or too complicated to fit into an RPG with save/load codes. (credit to AceHart for mine, by the way) The style of gameplay in my map is too linear to be a comprehensive, replayable RPG.

That said, please post comments. Map attached.

Note: for the most fun, play with 3 or 4 people. I strongly recommend 3. (total-- so you and two others) And don't expect it to be easy.

If you like this map (or you didn't) check out a spell I made awhile ago. http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78659

Attachments

• Journey to Ascension Alpha.w3x
    210.5 KB · Views: 224

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Screenshots aren't anything amazing. The terrain is flat and very empty.

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
I agree. Do you have any tips? Because I remember when I made the starting area (the one with the peasant selection) it took me a long time and I felt like I had really filled up the screen. But now, looking back, it still seems kinda empty. I think it's because I'm too much of a perfectionist when it comes to terraining. If I put down one too many shrubs, or one shrub looks even slightly out of place, I remove it.

edit: I realize one of the reasons is because I picked a dull tileset. When I chose this tileset I thought it would give me the most options for doing all sorts of terrain. I'm using the Village terrain in my current map, and I'm probably going to switch to Newgen or something that allows me to use all tiles.

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score

Not sure if we're looking at the same screenshots, but I think his terrains look fine. Not too empty, not too full either.

I haven't tried the map, but I'll play it once I have time. Keep it up :thup:

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Well, the first 2 are fine. The others need shrubs, rocks(spires too), maybe a different tileset like put the grassy dirt were the tree's are too make it look more realistic. I would remove all blizzard cliffs with raised terrain but that might take too long to do so thats up to you.

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
I'm planning on using blizzard cliffs as borders to areas, but using the raise tool for added effect when I'm trying to make a certain landscape. Thanks for the feedback.

edit: when you say more shrubs, where do I put them?

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Matters. Some terrain shots put them just randomly but they put them so it looks good. I can't really help you with that because its too hard to say. You just need to try or imaigine how it would look like with the shrubs.

Zack1996

Working on a Map
Reaction score
Shurbs usually look good near trees. Its stupid to put a shrub in the middle of several high-tech buildings and stuff. Put them near trees and in random places in forests.
Since you're using barren terrain, you can pretty much spam randomly. Since sand is rather random in terms of appearance, so you can just put the different tilesets rather randomly without losing too much of the barrenish effect.
Rocks should be rather random too, but not spammed like shrubs because shrubs are way smaller and rocks waaay bigger. Just put some random small rocks where they won't do much like very near trees and in the smaller corners of a large area. You could always put some huge rocks in place of a few trees if you deem fit.

City terrain is more difficult to do because you need some form of organisation and less doodad spamming XD I could help with city terrain but I can't say it would looks totally awesome.

I will try the map and comment, looks interesting :)

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll up upload some screenshots of my more recent terraining and a defense style map I'm working on, which has much better terraining because I'm working within a single theme and single tileset for a smaller map.

Also, I forgot to mension the whole premise of my map. (First post is now edited.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.