LAN advice

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
I want to setup a LAN between my new computer, my old computer, and the ps3, so they're all hooked up to the internet. I want no sharing in between them and the new computer to be safe as possible from a virus. Cable Internet.

What equipment do I need. What router do you suggest? The one suddenlink offers you is probably overpriced and crap right? Wireless or Wired is better?

I already know about the homenetworking sticky, I'm reading it now. I'd like to see what your personal suggestions are.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Linksys has a big portion of the home networking market, and it is what I use. If wired is feasible for you, use that. It's generally much more reliable, safer and faster than wireless. A 10/100 Mbps or 10/100/1000 Mbps router should be good for what you want. As far as sharing on the computers, that is determined by the individual computers involved. If you don't enable sharing on them, they won't. Pretty simple.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
I uses LevelOne WBR-3600
p_487_1_b.jpg

http://global.level1.com/product_d.php?id=487

It works quite good and has QoS control.

Newbwc3

Sephiroth_VII
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestion kingly, but I'm going for a wired broadband router 10/100/1000 and I'm looking for a good broadband modem too.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I'd go with a linksys, I have three of them on our network here at my house and I've never had a problem with any of them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.