World Lone survivor of 1971 crash fell 2 miles

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Juliane Koepcke is not someone you'd expect to attract attention. Plainly dressed and wearing prescription glasses, Koepcke sits behind her desk at the Zoological Center in Munich, Germany, where she's a librarian.

Yet this unassuming middle aged woman has one of the most exciting and unbelievable stories of tragedy and survival to tell.

It was Christmas Eve, 1971, when Koepcke, then aged 17, and her mother boarded a Lockheed Electra turboprop for a flight from Lima, Peru, to Pucallpa in the Amazonian rainforest. Her parents, both famous zoologists, ran a research station in the jungle studying wildlife.

This story is pretty epic. Read the article. :thup:

Last edited by a moderator:

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
Ya, I would argue this is the greatest survival story in known human history.

Many humans have overcome adversity and extreme circumstances, but this is paramount.

Surviving in the jungle that long with no gear alone is impressive!
Not to mention the explosive decompression of the aircraft and 2 mile free fall wearing nothing but a frown.

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
Interesting that she uses logic to explain why she survived rather than chalking it up to divine intervention. Very uncommon.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's incredible.

I'd have never thought that a row of seats and some trees would save someone from a 2-mile fall. =|

...Isn't it a bit late for this to be in the news? o_O

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Yeah, which is why it hasn't been moved. Sorry.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
this is just what optimus prime said, humans are capable of great compassion and overcoming great obstacles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.