Magic Missle - Horizontal Arcing Travel

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Hey, I need a spell that resembles the Magic Missle spell in Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2. This spell creates 1 magical missle for every 2 levels of the caster, and then shoots them all at the same time at his enemy. However, you can see them because they all have a different degree of a horizontal arc to their target. My trouble is trying to get the missles to follow that trajectory.

Does anyone know how to give a projectile a horizontal arc instead of a vertical arc without too much trouble? Or would this require a lot of trigger knowledge that I might not have? Either way, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
hmm... idea from the top of my head, i have not done this in triggers...

try to give them an max X-offset. (x in relation to their straight trajectory, y... maybe 90 degrees off..)
everytime they move forward, incerement the x.
if they reach the x, decrease it.. making them move to the center again..

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR]
i-[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR]
i--[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR] > decrease 
i---[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR]
i----[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR]X > the max x
i---[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR]
i--[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR] > increment towards X
i-[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLOR] > path

idk how it works diagonally though...

just a rough idea, i hope you get my point..

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hmm... idea from the top of my head, i have not done this in triggers...

try to give them an max X-offset. (x in relation to their straight trajectory, y... maybe 90 degrees off..)
everytime they move forward, incerement the x.
if they reach the x, decrease it.. making them move to the center again..
That would make them move in a triangular shape.

I don't have any better ideas myself though.
You could use a Jump Parabola which takes a curve argument, and instead of setting a units fly height, set the units X/Y to the value returned.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Hmm... alright, I'll fooly around with that idea for a bit. But in the meantime, if there are any better ideas on how to make an actual arc, I need the help! +rep to any that help toward the solution, of course.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
hmm i remember makeing this exact same spell for someone about a year ago

your gona need
Dummy units for the missle
Slide triggers
Collsion Detection system (its up to you how you want thsi to go, i personaly would use phenixe fire on every non-dummy unit and it would shoot at ONLY the dummy unit missles)

For the slides, you would be useing polar offsets by angle, were the offset is how fast the missle will slide and the angle is the current faceing of the dummy unit. Then you make the unit face the target.

For the spawn, make it spawn in a fasion where its (180+ (Random number X to -X degrees) This will make it shoot at an angle backwars, then loop forward makeing a arc

So what happens is the unit is always moveing in the direction its faceing, but its slowly turning to homeinto the target, thus createing a arch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.