Make unit follow closer?

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I have a trigger where I order a unit to follow another unit...but I need the unit to follow closer than it does (It does follow, but stops way too soon). Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Hmm...if possible, I actually need the unit to follow so that it's inside the other unit's selection circle...so that they're actually colliding (The following unit's collision size is set to 0). Is this doable?

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Tried 0, still lands outside the circle :(

The main idea is that the following unit is a dummy unit, following a specific unit with an aura...but I have the aura's radius set to 25 so that no one else gets it..just the dummy unit and the one it's following.

Wratox1

Reaction score
the problem could be that even if one unit has no collision but another has they would not end up on eachother..

you could also try holding shift while pressing enter with the Follow Range - Units field marked, and then type in a negative value, like -50

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I was wondering about that...maybe if ordered to follow that's not possible. But like, when the dummy unit is created, it's inside the other unit...so I know THAT'S possible...just not sure about the follow part.

Might be able to increase the aura radius and be fine...but not sure. Really don't want any other friendlies to pick up on the buff haha.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
It'd be cool if a negative follow distance worked. I can't test it right now, though.

Otherwise, you'll need to trigger it by instantly moving the follower to the position of the followed every 0.03s or so (like sliding).

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Nope :( Thought about that as well...

Thanks for your help guys. The instant move would probably work but I'd like to see if I can find a way around it...making that MUI would be a pain.

Edit: Is there any way to make an aura only work on units controlled by the same PLAYER, not just allies? I'm wondering if Player Units (Under "Targets Allowed") does that, but I think that might just mean non-computer controlled people (In either case, I can't test it with anyone else at the moment anyways).

But...if that's possible, it would solve my problem.

Thanks again :)

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Nope :( Thought about that as well...

Thanks for your help guys. The instant move would probably work but I'd like to see if I can find a way around it...making that MUI would be a pain.

Edit: Is there any way to make an aura only work on units controlled by the same PLAYER, not just allies? I'm wondering if Player Units (Under "Targets Allowed") does that, but I think that might just mean non-computer controlled people (In either case, I can't test it with anyone else at the moment anyways).

But...if that's possible, it would solve my problem.

Thanks again :)

Well, I think you need to use a Custom Aura System for targeting your own units only. What you can do is to instantly move the dummy every 0.03 seconds, like what Weep suggested. With the use of hashtable, MUI shouldn't be a problem.

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
Maybe you can give the unit some weird classification or targeted as, and then set the ability's targets allowed to that, example tree :p. Not sure, but since it's just outside the selection circle, try making the selection circle a little smaller?

Edit:
staind25 said:
Ahh. I don't know anything about hashtables...is that pretty easy to set up?
It's easy once you learn it, just search for hashtable tutorials in this forum.

Weep

Reaction score
Unit indexers (eg. there is a GUI version of J4L's AIDS) make MUI easy. :thup: You can just use the unit's custom value as an array index.

I believe it does what you want. I've not tested to make sure, but if you look at the undead's sacrifice (?) ability, it has Player Units checked, so you can only sacrifice your own units, not allies'.

staind25

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Excellent...thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll be able to test soon, but yeah if the Player Units thing works, then that should solve the problem...and I appreciate the additional info as well :)

Weep

Reaction score

Moradiae

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Was going to post that exact same thing while reading through the first page >.>

anyway, done some testing and it does follow the unit quite close (compared to normal following with follow range set to 0)

There's 1 problem tho, the thing messes up if the followee moves instantly (teleport, blink, etc.) and the dummy simply moves randomly on its own (I guess that's the default function of Atwa)

and if your aura have 25 range, I would still suggest moving the dummy using trigger instead and go through all the stuff to make it MUI

Then again, there's still the problem of making it only work only for your units

It would be nice to test the "player unit" one in the target allowed option
Personally, I think this is it because if it's for Player-Controlled unit, then wouldn't there be an option for Computer-Controlled unit too?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.