Weird Man falls from skyscraper, lives to tell the horror

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
NEW YORK (AP) -- Doctors say they have never seen anything like it: A window washer who fell 47 stories from the roof of a Manhattan skyscraper is now awake, talking to his family and expected to walk again.

Alcides Moreno, 37, plummeted almost 500 feet in a December 7 scaffolding collapse that killed his brother.

Somehow, Moreno lived, and doctors at New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center announced Thursday that his recovery has been astonishing.

He has movement in all his limbs. He is breathing on his own. And on Christmas Day, he opened his mouth and spoke for the first time since the accident.

His wife, Rosario Moreno, cried as she thanked the doctors and nurses who kept him alive.

"Thank God for the miracle that we had," she said. "He keeps telling me that it just wasn't his time."

Last edited by a moderator:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Maybe he fell on his brother or something, I mean there was that woman who survived a 30,000 ft fall in an airplane tail.

D

dunpealx4

no doubt that he fell while climbing up the stairs to heaven and got back to earth.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Actually every object has a maximum speed of falling because the air reduces the falling speed. What does it mean? Falling from 500 and 10'000 meter doesn't make any difference as long as you are in the earths atmosphere. At least at the crash. An average human reaches his maximum falling speed after around 55 meters and he will crash with around 200km/h into the floor. However the speed and the damage of crash is also dependent in what position you land.
However this guy was really lucky. He can still move all his limbs :O

Prometheus

Reaction score
Not that I understood all of what ninja said but...
Everything falls at the same rate, you are slowed only by wind <something>. The larger your surface area, the slower you fall.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what one could call "uber luck".

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
you are slowed only by wind <something>. The larger your surface area, the slower you fall.

That's called friction :p. When something falls, it's speed increases by 2kph per second, therefore, after 1 second of falling, you are going 2kph, after 2 seconds, you go 4kph, etc, until you reach a terminal velocity (When air friction prevents you from going any faster) that is 200kph.

Just a liddle science lesson for you guys :p

Prometheus

Reaction score
I was saying Air Resistance.
Wiki seems to not have much on "falling" so I can't get a definite.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Kc, theres nothing to research about, really. They teach you that in middle school, it's not that hard to understand. :>

This guy is really, really lucky, though. :X

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.