Meepo net spell [GUI]

Powergoat

Reaction score
I am in need of something like the aoe net spell from the hero Meepo in DotA.
For you who doesn't know how it works it's a target aoe spell that ensnares hit targets. I've searched but only found JASS solutions so far...

Grateful for help :thup:

Ithladir

Reaction score
How about first, using a AoE spell like flamestrike. Then removing all effects damage etc. then making a dummy to cast ensnare.

Example:
Code:
AoE Net
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to AoE Net
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Target point of ability being cast) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 250.00 of (Position of (Summoned unit)) matching (((Picked) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Casting unit))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
        Unit - Order (Summoned unit) to Orc Raider - Ensnare (Picked unit)
        Unit - Remove (Summoned unit) from the game

This might just work :l haven't tried myself though :l and it requires that you know dummies i guess.

The Ensnare spells is simply the raiders standard spell, try setting the cooldown to 0 and cost to 0. Hope this works :l and good luck

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
My version. Change the art yourself. The immobilising ability is based off Entangling Roots not Ensnare.

It's MUI and easily implemented.

Code:
Net Init
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Abi_Net = Net 
        Set Abi_Net_EntanglingRoots = Entangling Roots 
        Set UnitType_Net_Dummy = Dummy
        Set Real_Net_NetMoveRate = 6.00

Code:
Net
    Events
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Abi_Net
    Actions
        Set Pt_Net_TriggerPos = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Set Pt_Net_TargetPos = (Target point of ability being cast)
        Unit - Create 1 UnitType_Net_Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Pt_Net_TriggerPos facing (Facing of (Triggering unit)) degrees
        Unit - Set the custom value of (Last created unit) to (Integer(((Distance between Pt_Net_TriggerPos and Pt_Net_TargetPos) / Real_Net_NetMoveRate)))
        Unit - Add Abi_Net to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Set level of Abi_Net for (Last created unit) to (Level of Abi_Net for (Triggering unit))
        Unit Group - Add (Last created unit) to Unitgp_Net_PickedUnit
        Unit - Turn collision for (Last created unit) Off
        Trigger - Turn on Net Movement <gen>
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_Pt_Net_TriggerPos)
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_Pt_Net_TargetPos)

Code:
Net Movement
    Events
        Time - Every 0.01 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in Unitgp_Net_PickedUnit and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String((Custom value of (Picked unit))))
                Set Unit_Net_PickedUnit = (Picked unit)
                Set Pt_Net_TriggerPos = (Position of (Picked unit))
                Set Pt_Net_TargetPos = (Pt_Net_TriggerPos offset by Real_Net_NetMoveRate towards (Facing of (Picked unit)) degrees)
                Unit - Move (Picked unit) instantly to Pt_Net_TargetPos
                Unit - Set the custom value of (Picked unit) to ((Custom value of (Picked unit)) - 1)
                If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                    If - Conditions
                        (Custom value of (Picked unit)) Less than 0
                    Then - Actions
                        Set Unitgp_Net_AOEunit = (Units within 300.00 of Pt_Net_TriggerPos matching ((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Picked unit))) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True))))
                        Unit Group - Pick every unit in Unitgp_Net_AOEunit and do (Actions)
                            Loop - Actions
                                Unit - Create 1 UnitType_Net_Dummy for (Owner of Unit_Net_PickedUnit) at Pt_Net_TriggerPos facing Default building facing degrees
                                Unit - Add Abi_Net_EntanglingRoots to (Last created unit)
                                Unit - Set level of Abi_Net_EntanglingRoots for (Last created unit) to (Level of Abi_Net for Unit_Net_PickedUnit)
                                Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Keeper Of The Grove - Entangling Roots (Picked unit)
                                Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
                                Unit - Hide (Last created unit)
                        Unit - Remove (Picked unit) from the game
                        Custom script:   call DestroyGroup (udg_Unitgp_Net_AOEunit)
                    Else - Actions
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_Pt_Net_TriggerPos)
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_Pt_Net_TargetPos)
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Number of units in Unitgp_Net_PickedUnit) Equal to 0
            Then - Actions
                Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
            Else - Actions

Real_Net_NetMoveRate determines the speed of the net. Increase it to make it move slower (<-- Edited). Tell me if there's bug.

Note: Please don't take this submission for granted :p. Try to learn from it and if you have any request in future, try searching first (as you've did) and try trigger something yourself first before asking :).

Edit:
One more thing, since I've used Custom Value to check the distance, the actual distance traveled could be compromised. One way to fix this is to utilise the dummy's movespeed or HP or Mana instead. But personally prefer to use custom value, so this is how it's going to be now :).View attachment 24052

Attachments

• Meepo Net.w3x
    19.6 KB · Views: 179

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
How about first, using a AoE spell like flamestrike. Then removing all effects damage etc. then making a dummy to cast ensnare.

Example:
Code:
AoE Net
    Events
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to AoE Net
    Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Target point of ability being cast) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 250.00 of (Position of (Summoned unit)) matching (((Picked) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Casting unit))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
        Unit - Order (Summoned unit) to Orc Raider - Ensnare (Picked unit)
        Unit - Remove (Summoned unit) from the game

This might just work :l haven't tried myself though :l and it requires that you know dummies i guess.

The Ensnare spells is simply the raiders standard spell, try setting the cooldown to 0 and cost to 0. Hope this works :l and good luck

wouldnt this work just fine as long as you set teh cooldown for ensare to 0?

PooBucket

Reaction score
wouldnt this work just fine as long as you set teh cooldown for ensare to 0?

But what about the movement of the net? I mean, like it shouldn't just be at the position of the flame strike but moves there and anything in it's way gets ensnared? This is kinda the same as Invoker's Wind skill.

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
But what about the movement of the net? I mean, like it shouldn't just be at the position of the flame strike but moves there and anything in it's way gets ensnared? This is kinda the same as Invoker's Wind skill.

Didn't get much, are you making a meepo spell or not? Since the meepo spell in dota actually only ensnares the targeted unit that are caught in the targeted point.

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
yes but it still needs the art where the net actually travels to the location AND THEN ensares all enemy units in an AoE. Anyway, i dont know why were arguing about this, theres already a working demo.

(except dont you think .01 is a bit too fast XD, it might suffer in fps.) anyway gj, that spell is a pain to make in GUI.

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> dont you think .01 is a bit too fast

It won't lag I think :p. Only one dummy movement per cast, so it should be ok :). Don't think there'll be problem if 10 players cast simultaneously. Besides, it's only short distance.

Could have submitted this in the spell section but kinda lazy to type out all the required stuff =.=' (one reason why I don't fancy submitting spells). :p

cleeezzz

The Undead Ranger.
Reaction score
i guess your right, its only 800 range.
and the long wait for approval xd.

Ithladir

Reaction score
Hi back again ;) and yeah i thought of entagle to, but clock was 03.00AM and i just fell asleep w8ing in my bed ^^ but i guess my version maybe works, tho it lacks some specials arts, like the first throw and the second dummy spells should be entagle ur right :l

[EDIT]:Well now a lot of solutions are up so i guess its solved ^^ (maybe my version works for another kind of spell instead ^^)

Powergoat

Reaction score
Thanks alot everybody... I do try to program my spells first but when I get stuck I use these forums :)

Edit: I have some more questions about the code. First of all, I simply don't get what the custom values are there for. Secondly, there is a bug where the net is thrown at a random point beside where I aim at some times.

Thanks

Ithladir

Reaction score
Hehe tested my version of the net, daem not working ^^ and major lagg creation ^^ Warning! do not use my trigger :D

wellwish3r

wishes wells.
Reaction score
Hehe tested my version of the net, daem not working ^^ and major lagg creation ^^ Warning! do not use my trigger :D

you order to snare is not in the loop, just btw :p
and instead of instantly remove it, add a 1 sec expiaration timer to the unit, so it has time to cast (even no casting time is not totally instant (animations etc))

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> First of all, I simply don't get what the custom values are there for.

Custom values are there to measure the distance between the target point and the caster. Once determined, the distance is set as the custom value of the dummy unit (the net). In the periodic trigger, the custom value of the dummy will be reduced progressively until it becomes 0, which is the point where the dummy has already reached its target location. The dummy is then removed and the AOE units of the area are picked to be Entangled.

> Secondly, there is a bug where the net is thrown at a random point beside where I aim at some times.

Not sure about this. Did you mean your own made trigger or my demo map? It seems fine to me after few tries. If you mean your trigger, then try posting your trigger.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
You need to use slides in this spell.. Look at the tutorial section on how to do slides.. Once you learned it and got the hang of it, making spells like this will be pretty easy..

NOTE: I'm not into mapping anymore.. I don't have WE and I can't map.. I need to relearn in order to map again ^^

Ithladir

Reaction score
you order to snare is not in the loop, just btw :p
and instead of instantly remove it, add a 1 sec expiaration timer to the unit, so it has time to cast (even no casting time is not totally instant (animations etc))

Hehe noticed about the net loop and yeah time, damn knew i forgot something ^^ i guess i will try it out again. thanks :)

Powergoat

Reaction score
Ok, first of all, the net spell is pretty much copied except for that I use monsoon instead of aoe channeling spell, but i think that should be ok. Is there a fast way to post full code into a message like this? If so please tell me :D.

EDIT: I've found out when the spells bugs. It's when the casting hero is turned away from the way I'm aiming. If i try to cast when he's not turned the right we his aim fails (big time :))

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.