Messages sent using DisplayTextToPlayer not present in log

krainert

Reaction score
Greetings

From what I understand this is due to my code launching on map initialization. What is the easiest way to get around this hurdle? An instantly expiring timer?

krainert

Reaction score
Thanks.

Extra Credit: Does vJass feature structs that cannot be instantiated outside static methods of the struct itself (that is, structs equivalent to Java classes with only private constructors)?

EDIT:
Extra Extra Credit: How should function variables be cleared properly during cleanup?

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
Uhmmm did u mean the custom script for it? Or when should you clear it, if you don't want to be calling no function I would destroy it just before setting it to another like this:
JASS:
function
 calldestroyfunction(udg_function_variable)
 Set function_variable = new function
endfunction

But that's based off limited jass knowledge and extensive gui knowledge

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Does vJass feature structs that cannot be instantiated outside static methods of the struct itself (that is, structs equivalent to Java classes with only private constructors)?
Sort of. You need a "free" struct (called an "array struct") which is achieved by extending array. Then you can use Alloc to do this. Then simply do not create a public [LJASS]create[/LJASS] method. It'll end up looking something like this:

JASS:
library PrivateStruct requires Alloc

struct AccesibleEverywhere
    static method Display takes nothing returns nothing
        call BJDebugMsg("Hello!")
    endmethod

private static method create takes nothing returns nothing
        return thistype.alloc()
    endmethod

return Alloc
endstruct

endlibrary

This struct can be used everywhere as a public struct, but can not be allocated :)

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score
>This struct can be used everywhere as a public struct, but can not be allocated

This struct is full of errors (return Alloc?, no extends array, thistype.alloc?)
Shoud be:
JASS:
library PrivateStruct requires Alloc
struct AccesibleEverywhere extends array
    implement Alloc

static method Display takes nothing returns nothing
        call BJDebugMsg("Hello!")
    endmethod

private static method create takes nothing returns thistype
        return thistype.allocate()
    endmethod
endstruct

function f takes nothing returns nothing
    local AccessibleEverywhere s = AccesibleEverywhere.allocate() // no error breaking the privacy 
                                                                  // because Alloc's static methods are not private
endfunction

endlibrary

The normal vJass way (preserves privacy unlike Alloc):
JASS:
struct S
    private static method create takes nothing returns S
        return allocate()
    endmethod
endstruct

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
I think tooltiperror was drunk typing.

How should function variables be cleared properly during cleanup?

Depends what you mean. Local variables and parameters are automatically destroyed when the return statement or endfunction line is reached.

krainert

Reaction score
Thanks.

Regarding function variable cleanup: I mean, variables that contain a reference to a function. How to cleanup?

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
did you see my post above? ^

function variables should be cleaned up just like normal variables if i am correct

krainert

Reaction score
Oh, sorry - yeah, I saw it, forgot the thread, came back after later replies, forgot yours.
What I needed to know was whether any particular cleanup was required for every function referencing variable, but from your code I suppose not...?
That is: If I have a variable referencing a function and am destroying the struct instance in which this variable resides, no specific handling of the function variable is needed, right?

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
If you are using a function pointer it can mean a lot of things... boolexpr, function interface, code argument... care to share your code? Then I can tell you if it needs to be destroyed.

luorax

Invasion in Duskwood
Reaction score
Nothing. AFAIK they're integers, so there's no need to worry about 'em.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Yeah interface function pointers are integers, and "FuncInt" will get turned into an integer array, and every function pointer will turn into trigger evaluations and duplicated code.

krainert

Reaction score
Thanks!

Yeah interface function pointers are integers, and "FuncInt" will get turned into an integer array, and every function pointer will turn into trigger evaluations and duplicated code.
Ouch... I'm starting to see the grounds for the critique of those things.

Should I generally try to avoid them altogether (when possible)?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.