Model [Request]

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
This raises a question for me. Is it legal to use wow models in WC3?

I assume it is just fine, since wow icons are used by many custom maps, including DotA, which is played on battle.net, and Blizz does nothing about it.

Is it any different for models though?

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score

I assume it is just fine, since wow icons are used by many custom maps, including DotA, which is played on battle.net, and Blizz does nothing about it.

It's not legal, no. No one's going to come sue you for it though. You might not be able to upload your map on sites with strict moderation.

The real problem with WoW model is the size of them. They are heavily detailed in comparison to WC3 models.

Dirac

Reaction score

Nothing about it? blizz loves dota, recent patch notes even fixes some dota bugs..

And the worst thing that could happen is that ur map gets rejected, but i dont know from where

avalya

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if icons are legal to use or not, but DotA got Blizzard's permission for a lot of things, including icons.

Models, however are not legal unless you ask Blizzard for it.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In order to use WoW Models in a WC3: TFT/RoC map legally, you need to ask Blizzard for permission. You can either make a thread somewhere on the WoW Forums, or you can call a help line and request to speak to someone about Model Extracting.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a fellow who got Blizzard's permission to extract the icons.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Ok,

So I posted at on battle.net for permission, and I was directed here by the Blizz employee.

Also, they have had discussion about this before at the battle.net website.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=20860803246

Looks like Blizz has no problem with using wow icons/models as long as they are not used for commercial use, redistrubuted as forgery, and they are within other blizz games.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.