My first time in an APPLE store

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
This is going to turn into a fanboy thread like EVERY OTHER thread about this type of thing. PC users won't want to see that Macs are decent, and vice versa.

Lets not waste our time, eh guys? This accomplishes nothing.

Are we talking about OS or hardware because they ARE different :p I love the Mac OSX but I don't like how they make the OS really reliable to the hardware made from Apple most computers can't run OSX w/o some hardware changes. I would prefer to build my own computer and boot OSX on it rather than to buy one for some extra $$ that's just my style :D

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
will you stop trying to turn every single thread that has to deal with a mac, a semi-debate thread that tries to make mac the better of mac vs pc

Sorry, if someone says Mac sucks, I'll defend it,
And it just turns into this, I don't try to turn it this way, I'd rather we just agree to disagree.

Why does that even matter?
It matters because when you say "$600" PC I think box of sand, but in the US (hence the currency), it might be a decent computer.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It matters because when you say "$600" PC I think box of sand, but in the US (hence the currency), it might be a decent computer

They were both in the same currency, so it would be irrelevant regardless of whether it was in rubles or USD or yen. The only thing Mac is better than PC's at, is when it breaks you don't need to worry about fixing it. You just throw it out and buy a new one.

ReVolver

Reaction score
They were both in the same currency, so it would be irrelevant regardless of whether it was in rubles or USD or yen. The only thing Mac is better than PC's at, is when it breaks you don't need to worry about fixing it. You just throw it out and buy a new one.

Apple doesn't support hardware fixes? like how HP/Dell/etc does? I didn't know this...

Varine

Reaction score
Apple doesn't support hardware fixes? like how HP/Dell/etc does? I didn't know this...

Not if it's outdated, which isn't hard for it to happen. And I never said I supported either HP or Dell, nor Gateway. But least they adhere to standards and you can put in new PCI cards without being a criminal.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
They were both in the same currency, so it would be irrelevant regardless of whether it was in rubles or USD or yen.

What were both in the same currency? I was asking because I didn't know what currency the poster was talking about, $600 US for a computer will get you a LOT better than $600 AU even $800-900 AU.

The only thing Mac is better than PC's at, is when it breaks you don't need to worry about fixing it. You just throw it out and buy a new one.

That's rubbish, I just got my MBP back from the shop (a reseller) and they fixed it for free, apparently the one stick of RAM that failed in it, was put in by them... (different to Apple RAM I believe)

Yes they do, if your machine is under warranty (1 year by default), and 90 days of phone support for the OS, and anything else you bought. You can extend it to 3 years for both with AppleCare.
I'm pretty sure the warranty doesn't cover anything if you actually break your computer, like dropping it, or pulling it apart and replacing the RAM yourself (assuming it gets damaged by you doing that). I'm pretty sure no one's warranty covers that.

Not if it's outdated, which isn't hard for it to happen. And I never said I supported either HP or Dell, nor Gateway. But least they adhere to standards and you can put in new PCI cards without being a criminal.

My MBP was outdated, and it was fixed, and even if you had AppleCare (I didn't) and it was still covered they'd fix it.
You make it sound like they don't have warranties LOL.

You can "try" and put a new PCI card in without being a criminal, it's just Apple won't pay for it if you break your laptop doing it, who would?

Apple have brilliant support.

sqrage

Reaction score
>>I'm pretty sure no one's warranty covers that.

Asus covers spills, drops and fire for laptops for a year standard. No cost.

>>You can "try" and put a new PCI card in without being a criminal, it's just Apple won't pay for it if you break your laptop doing it, who would?

You'd be voiding their TOS by even trying to replace any part so that's where you'd be a criminal.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Asus covers spills, drops and fire for laptops for a year standard. No cost.

Heh that surprised me, however it doesn't mean Apple don't have brilliant support, I'm referring to the tech support on solving OS issues, or any other technical issue you might have before having to bring it to the shop,
I wouldn't say they have brilliant coverage... Only a one year warranty.
You'd be voiding their TOS by even trying to replace any part so that's where you'd be a criminal.

What's a PCI card exactly? a graphics card is a PCI card right?

Where exactly are there TOS? I've not seen it before :O
People replace parts in their macs all the time, RAM, hard drives, etc... (people who know what they're doing)
The warranty doesn't cover you if you damage your computer by putting those in
(and perhaps not even at all if you put them in yourself, but I'm sure it does if it's unrelated to those components)

Until the warranty's over. Then what do you do when your RAM goes out?
What do you do if a normal warranty runs out, you send your computer into the shop, and pay a few hundred to get it fixed....
Technically it's unlikely your RAM will go bad if it's ordered from Apple, and if it's bought from a reseller and they're RAM goes bad it might be under warranty like mine was.

Varine

Reaction score
What's a PCI card exactly? a graphics card is a PCI card right?

It can be. It's just a slot that PC's have. Basically, what happened was Apple made Mac and was basically like "if you make anything for it, and it's not done through us, we'll sue you." So, unless they changed it a lot and I didn't hear about it, anything hardware you buy is going to come from Mac. IBM made the PC, and made it so that any third party could make something for it without any problem.

PCI is Peripheral Component Interconnect. There's also AGP, which is only used for video cards, although PCI slots can be used too, and then there's things like PCI-E, which is PCI Express and is just faster than PCI. It's just an addition slot so you can add parts to the machine easily.

Where exactly are there TOS? I've not seen it before :O

Terms of Service. It's the same on pretty much anything: don't fuck with what they made (or use them to build nuclear, chemical, biological, or other weapons now). And it is technically illegal to do so.

What do you do if a normal warranty runs out, you send your computer into the shop, and pay a few hundred to get it fixed....
Technically it's unlikely your RAM will go bad if it's ordered from Apple, and if it's bought from a reseller and they're RAM goes bad it might be under warranty like mine was.

On my PC? I go onto NewEgg or TigerDirect and buy a new RAM stick, and slap it in. All of my computers I built, and all of my parts have their own warranty so if a specific thing goes out usually I can send it back for a replacement. If anything goes wrong on a Mac, there isn't multiple options to fix it, you basically can take it to a shop and hope they can do it, or try and find someone that sells parts for them that they took out of other models, which I don't know how hard that is to do, but it's possible I'd imagine, although probably expensive because it would still be cheaper to get something from them than buy a new computer. Once that model is outdated and they stop making the parts for it, unless they use the same kind for something else you're screwed. On a PC, there's a ton of different companies that make hardware. RAM was just the first thing I thought of, but it doesn't matter. Worst would probably be the motherboard.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
It can be. It's just a slot that PC's have. Basically, what happened was Apple made Mac and was basically like "if you make anything for it, and it's not done through us, we'll sue you." So, unless they changed it a lot and I didn't hear about it, anything hardware you buy is going to come from Mac. IBM made the PC, and made it so that any third party could make something for it without any problem.

They cannot sue you for any changes you make to your computer, however they may choose not to honour the warranty if they think you modified your computer and in the process broke it.

iMacs come with easily addable RAM slots (for consumers), you can unscrew your MB/MBP and add hard drives or solid state drives, any type of RAM that is compatible with what Apple use (heaps of them).

Mac Pro's are made to be customized by the user, although I think they say they don't cover you if you damage it in the process, they'd rather you get an apple authorized guy to do any of it (except for the iMac's RAM).

Terms of Service. It's the same on pretty much anything: don't fuck with what they made (or use them to build nuclear, chemical, biological, or other weapons now). And it is technically illegal to do so.

Sorry mate, it's not illegal to modify parts in your Mac, or add new parts, (from what I know) you may think it, and it may have been at one time, but I doubt it, and how could they catch you?
The only thing that is ILLEGAL is installing OSX on a PC (hackintosh).

I often hear on mac forums, people pulling out the quad core processor in the quad Mac Pro and replacing it with the Intel 3.33GHz, sometimes using the i7 model instead of the intel xeon too.

MBP's hard drives, RAM can be removed.
Otherworldcomputing.com has free tutorials on how to do it (at least for the Mac Pro), and sells cheap Apple spec ram as well as hard drives, SSDs, even a "Mod Book" (which is a MBP or MB modified to be a touch screen tablet).

They also stock RAM for pretty much every model of Mac known to exist, even maybe 8-10 years ago (I think :p). You could even put some Kingston something or other non Mac RAM in as long as it's compatible.

On my PC? I go onto NewEgg or TigerDirect and buy a new RAM stick, and slap it in. All of my computers I built, and all of my parts have their own warranty so if a specific thing goes out usually I can send it back for a replacement. If anything goes wrong on a Mac, there isn't multiple options to fix it, you basically can take it to a shop and hope they can do it, or try and find someone that sells parts for them that they took out of other models, which I don't know how hard that is to do, but it's possible I'd imagine, although probably expensive because it would still be cheaper to get something from them than buy a new computer. Once that model is outdated and they stop making the parts for it, unless they use the same kind for something else you're screwed. On a PC, there's a ton of different companies that make hardware. RAM was just the first thing I thought of, but it doesn't matter. Worst would probably be the motherboard.

If you can fix / build your PC, you can fix your mac, it's easy as to diagnose, I diagnosed my MBP in 5 minutes never having done it before.

You'd go to NewEgg or OWC or some other place and buy some RAM and put it in,
Likewise RAM bought from OWC has a warranty, 5 years I think.

You either pay the shop to fix your Mac or fix it yourself, it's easy enough.
If you buy your Mac the right way, and get all parts from third parties, the cheap way, they generally come with a warranty.

Again, if a Mac is outdated, there should be parts for it.

Varine

Reaction score
Dude I'm not talking specifically about RAM. It just the first thing that came to mind for whatever reason, I forget what I was thinking about now because I don't really care, but it doesn't matter. They use internal designs, and sometimes buy third party hardware, but don't adhere to form factors so it can't be customized and upgraded. Especially in earlier models when the case was closed; as of recently they've started to change it a little bit (given the fact that you can actually open the case now) and are essentially becoming the exact same thing as a PC, which makes it completely pointless to have a Mac anyway because everything is the same other than them not using an ATX form factor like most computers use, and costing more.

ReVolver

Reaction score
Dude I'm not talking specifically about RAM. It just the first thing that came to mind for whatever reason, I forget what I was thinking about now because I don't really care, but it doesn't matter. They use internal designs, and sometimes buy third party hardware, but don't adhere to form factors so it can't be customized and upgraded. Especially in earlier models when the case was closed; as of recently they've started to change it a little bit (given the fact that you can actually open the case now) and are essentially becoming the exact same thing as a PC, which makes it completely pointless to have a Mac anyway because everything is the same other than them not using an ATX form factor like most computers use, and costing more.

Give it a rest Varine, here go read this instead http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score

Believe what you want. It's not true.

Give it a rest Varine, here go read this instead http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant

Also not true, at least the stuff I read, I can't be bothered with this, if you want to use a PC good for you.

ReVolver

Reaction score
... Jeeze, that's a load of rubbish, I can't be bothered with this, if you want to use a PC good for you.

Um you use a PC...

PC = Personal Computer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_computer

A personal computer may be a desktop computer, a laptop computer, tablet computer or a palmtop. The most common current operating systems for personal computers are Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Solaris

Macs just say "PC" on those commercials/speeches so they don't bash on companies, mainly Microsoft.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Technically yes, but a PC is often assumed to be Windows.
And I'd rather not type Windows PC every time.

ReVolver

Reaction score
Technically yes, but a PC is often assumed to be Windows.
And I'd rather not type Windows PC every time.

Again are we talking about the "OS" or the Hardware... I'm confused... just call it Windows, because they don't make hardware or support hardware (other than their webcams/mice/keyboards/etc) I can build my own computer and boot any OS on it just because I boot OSX doesn't mean it's a mac, do you hate "Windows" for it's hardware it can run on or the OS...

The only reason I don't like MacOS is because it doesn't run on some hardware that is used mainly to boot Linux/Windows.

So Apple makes it hard to make their OS boot on any other hardware.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I don't hate Windows, I dual boot into it (Windows 7)
I'll be clear, I'm talking about a PC that isn't a Mac and runs Windows.

I thoroughly believe from user experience OSX is better, and that the hardware they use is very good quality and matched for each other.

You can use the same hardware in a non Mac and it should run the same,
but I still think for everything but games OSX > Windows 7.

As long as no one bashes Mac I don't have a problem with them saying they prefer Windows or even hate OSX.

But that doesn't make it a fact that OSX is rubbish, it just means YOU don't like it, or think Windows is better.

The only reason I don't like MacOS is because it doesn't run on some hardware that is used mainly to boot Linux/Windows.

So Apple makes it hard to make their OS boot on any other hardware.

This is because Apple make all their money on hardware in their Macs, and iPhones/MP3 players, unlike Microsoft which are mostly software, and XBOXs, etc..

ReVolver

Reaction score
When it comes to OS it's hard to choose one, I had to dual boot Windows XP and SUSE because I couldn't choose one. Now I'm stuck with Vista dual boot with Ubuntu and hoping I upgrade to 7 soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.