Need some footies spawning help

captainrads

Reaction score
EDIT: Fixed

I know, I know, Footman Wars maps have been beat to death, but I'd still like to try my hand at it, I've got a few ideas but I need some help.
I'm just about to release a beta, but first I've got a crippling problem.
Along with the standard base spawns, I've got a system where a hired builder can build extra buildings which spawn supportive units(Priests, Sorceresses, etc.). The problem is, by using set variables for spawns, it allows only one spawn at a time, and I would rather not use a huge array of variables for this, as there will be many spawns in the future and using a lot of variables can get confusing, and probably laggy. My other problem is setting the location of these spawns, with the same general problem, the location would be set in the defined spot every time a building was constructed, and once again using a huge array of variables is undesirable, I would like the spawn point to be at the constructed building with the specific spawn only.
If anyone can help me, that would be fantastic. I've been working on this map for a while now and I'd like to get a beta out to see what people think of it.
Also, if you have any suggestions on what should be in the map, feel free to post them.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
can we see the trigger you used to better understand where you're going at
and try this
Code:
Untitled Trigger 004
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters (Playable map area)
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to (==) Barracks
    Actions
        Unit Group - Add (Triggering unit) to unitgroup
Code:
Untitled Trigger 005
    Events
        Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in unitgroup and do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Picked unit)) at (Position of (Picked unit)) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
yeah you'd have to do that for every specific unit which can take awhile, and it leaks

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Instead of doing it for every unit, you can set each unit-type to an integer array at map initialization (SpawnUnit [1] = Priest, SpawnUnit [2] = Naga Myrmidon...), and set the point value of the constructing unit to match it. (Arcane Sanctum = Point value of 1, Spawning Grounds = Point value of 2, etc...

Then, create the appropriate unit-type matching the point value of the picked unit.

--->By the way, use paragraphs. Easier on the eyes.

captainrads

Reaction score
Paragraphs, got it.

Thanks for the tips, I don't get to world editor that often so when I get to trying all this I'll post how it goes.

YourFace

Reaction score
Instead of doing it for every unit, you can set each unit-type to an integer array at map initialization (SpawnUnit [1] = Priest, SpawnUnit [2] = Naga Myrmidon...), and set the point value of the constructing unit to match it. (Arcane Sanctum = Point value of 1, Spawning Grounds = Point value of 2, etc...

Then, create the appropriate unit-type matching the point value of the picked unit.

--->By the way, use paragraphs. Easier on the eyes.

what are point values?
and Yay rep for everyone lol

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Every unit has a point value that can be manipulated in the object editor. This is in the "Stats" section, but you can do Ctrl+F to search for it regardless.
The default value is 100, and it can be referred to as an integer while doing triggers.

CysticCraze

Reaction score
I didnt read everyones post but you could just make it so you click your main base and click and upgrade and then it autospawns a building next to your primary... then you just need to decide what units spawns from the secondary region. So i guess this doesnt really answer the question but its and idea... also pm when ur done this sounds very interesting.

YourFace

Reaction score
Every unit has a point value that can be manipulated in the object editor. This is in the "Stats" section, but you can do Ctrl+F to search for it regardless.
The default value is 100, and it can be referred to as an integer while doing triggers.

I see that can be very helpful, thanks! i repped your other post

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.