Need some out of the box ideas about status raising

Roseblood

Reaction score
The title really says it all, I am making a map where the levels of the heroes equals their "fame" which opens new doors around the map. But I still need some ideas how for them to gain new stats. I already thought of having jobs that could raise their stats(for example: shoveling horse dung would raise their str). But it would basically mean that you can only get better in the game by working, which would make the questing less interesting. Any ideas how I should move forward with this problem? Thx in advance.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
Every time you level..
You gain.. STAT POINTS!!!, lol.

Yea, base it off 'Attribute bonus' that does not provide bonuses at all.
Then, create a trigger where a player can type something like '-Agi 10' and if the hero has enough levels of it, he can increase his Agi by that amount.

Roseblood

Reaction score

Yes, but the basic idea was that the hero does not HAVE levels, but fame. If you suddenly become a millionaire and everyone knows you, you don't suddenly get a lot stronger do you? I meant that I need a better idea for raising stats than "leveling" or good old work(which DOES make you stronger if it is physical work). I am trying to make it more realistic than the RPGs nowadays, that mainly focus just on mashing stuff to get better at mashing bigger stuff.

Executor

I see you
Reaction score
Well, I personally like the dungeon siege style. Every action will result in bonuses:

"shoveling horse dung would raise their str", but shoveling to often will decrease the bonus per shove permanent.

First time: +3
Second time: +2,5 // +5,5
Third time: +2 // + 7,5
Fourth time: +1,5// +9
Fith time: +1 // +10
Sixth time: +0,5 // +10,5
Seventh time: +0,5 // +11
Eigth time: +0,5 // +11,5
etc.

Same for spells, walking long etc.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
by running you could increase agility and/or movement speed

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I really really like that idea! But eh...how could I execute that??

make an attribute bonus that has 100 levels or some high number and increase the level each time

then right click the first bonus field and use "auto fill levels" and set the base to lets say 3, then the previous value factor to like .95 and then the constant factor to 3 and then play around with it

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
I say go all out and make it have 9001 levels >.>
Auto Fill is the love.

canons200

Reaction score
want some thing completely different? how about below?

weapon training, training duration about 30 seconds, after each 30 seconds, increase 1 str, and moreover there is a chance that a weapon maybe created, the created chance and weapon quality depend on str, more str will be more easy to create weapon and better quality of weapon can be made too.

armor training, training duration about 30 seconds, after each 30 seconds, increase 1 agi, and moreover there is a chance that an armor maybe created, the created chance and armor quality depend on agi, more agi will be more easy to create armor and better quality of armor can be made too.

accessories training, training duration about 30 seconds, after each 30 seconds, increase 1 int, and moreover there is a chance that an accessory maybe created, the created chance and accesory quality depend on int, more int will be more easy to create int and better quality of accesory can be made too.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Auto Fill is the love.

there is a limit to patience - spells that have a high number of levels create lag when introduced, which you can avoid in-game by pre-placing a dummy with the spell, so that it gets loaded during the map loading, but it still adds to the load time

polo2005

Wana start playing LoL? http://tinyurl.com/369as27
Reaction score
Auto Fill is the love.

holy shit?
1000 levels on one spell incressed the loading time on my map with 40 seconds, i dont even wanna know how much 9001 will do :p
since: ITS OVER 9000!

Weyird

Reaction score
Some of these ideas are really unique, but you could quite simply get a few hero ability points for completing quests.

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well, I personally like the dungeon siege style. Every action will result in bonuses:

"shoveling horse dung would raise their str", but shoveling to often will decrease the bonus per shove permanent.

First time: +3
Second time: +2,5 // +5,5
Third time: +2 // + 7,5
Fourth time: +1,5// +9
Fith time: +1 // +10
Sixth time: +0,5 // +10,5
Seventh time: +0,5 // +11
Eigth time: +0,5 // +11,5
etc.

Same for spells, walking long etc.

This is a good idea, but another suggestion is to set a period of seconds of shoveling horse dung to raise your Strength by 1. Then make a math formula for increasing the working period required for raising your Strength.

You are so right about the importance of making quests more interesting than working, or your map could end up like Runescape :)thdown:) instead of a D&D-style roleplaying game :)thup:)

Therefore, make some different categories of works for all the Attributes. For example, things that will give you training only (example: lifting rocks to gain strength) things that will produce something for you but not excercise Strength quite as much (example: mining) and a third category for advanced Strength training available only in areas for higher status characters.

A lot of categories more or less difficult to find in different areas. You could, for example, enable some advanced Agility training (acrobatics teacher?) or producing Agility training (picking fruits from high trees?) already in an area for low-status characters, but then it will somehow be a risk for interruption (a lot of creeps around or something) and it could be worth more just to train here for a while, dig some horse shit and then make a quest, get to another area where perhaps you find some really NICE advanced agility training!

Do you get my idea here? For fun game-play this have to be a large system. An option is to skip the "categories" and actually make a new kind of training always a new kind of training.

Roseblood

Reaction score
I must say

You all have some excellent ideas, Truly, love the different training techniques idea. But it still would take away most of the fun in questing, I was thinking, that since I have the exp as "fame", it would not be gained by training/working, but by doing quests, such as killing some goblins and this would in turn open new areas to train in, no matter what the current str status(for example) of the hero is, he/she would be able to train it, raising 2 str every 30 seconds in the new area instead of 1. This would, I think put some sort of balance in the game between working/training and questing. You could get to full stats without killing anything, but it would take you at least 4 hours of pure work to just raise one stat to its max, giving more courage to go out and find better stuff to do. Also thought I would add some sort of auto-raise when killing monsters, for example: Every 100 monsters you kill, your stats will raise by 1. Its a nice bonus, but still so much less than what you could get by working/training. Also thought that I could make working always raise status 1-2 points, but training could raise up to 5 points per training time, but it could be failed in some way, giving some extra difficulty(also would cost gold, so working will still be needed). I would like to hear your opinions about this type of game, and some tips about how I should continue with this. thx for all your previous comments a lot, helped me mindstorm some more :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.