Newegg Morals

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Newegg is pretty much the best retailer for tech goods at the moment. Amazon is a marketplace, and Fry's hasn't allowed me the opportunity. However, over the past 2 items I've returned a lot of items to Newegg, mostly monitors. 2 monitors had a dead pixel, 2 were just un-satisfying. A power supply I opened to coincidently learn that it was complete overkill.

My question to you is, do we have a moral responsibility to protect Newegg, and to be more tolerable of imperfections or buyer's remorse?

American retail is pretty much dead, perhaps the american ideology needs to go before we have to hire middlemen just to buy our products from middlemen.

Stormahawk

Reaction score
Newegg kinda sucks. The one item I got from newegg was defective and is currently being repaired at the manufacturer. All my items I got at amazon.com were below the market price, always arrived in perfect condition, and even early. When I bought a few kinect games on a Sunday, they said it would arrive Wednesday but the games arrived Monday. I know a friend who personally told me he had to return 7 items to newegg because there was something wrong with them. Don't forget to mention the 15% restocking fee and paying for your own shipping.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Amazon isn't only a marketplace, though I hate amazon. They've sent me reconditioned or returned products labeled as NEW more than a couple of times. Beware.

Newegg has never let me down.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with either of them, I just buy whatever is cheapest

I did have to do a return once with amazon (micro SD card died as soon as I tried to fill it up), just printed a label and dropped it off at the UPS, had no issues at all (didn't pay for shipping or anything)

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with either of them. :)

I think we should not tolerate defects. It's the retailer's (ultimately the manufacturer's) responsibility to deliver a working product.

I don't think the retailer should have to pay for returns due to buyer's remorse. Here's why:
  • The buyer is responsible to do his/her due research before purchasing something. The seller shouldn't be forced to pay for the buyer's negligence and changing whims.
  • Returning a fully-functioning product causes a profit loss to the seller, which ultimately gets reflected in higher product prices in the future. The seller can no longer sell the item as new anymore (unless they are Fry's, who likes to repackage and dishonestly sell things as new all the time :p).

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't think the retailer should have to pay for returns due to buyer's remorse. Here's why:
  • The buyer is responsible to do his/her due research before purchasing something. The seller shouldn't be forced to pay for the buyer's negligence and changing whims.
  • Returning a fully-functioning product causes a profit loss to the seller, which ultimately gets reflected in higher product prices in the future. The seller can no longer sell the item as new anymore (unless they are Fry's, who likes to repackage and dishonestly sell things as new all the time :p).

I think that is what the 15% restocking fee applies to - and im glad it exists for that reason, since otherwise it would just inflate the price of everything to make up for it

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>(unless they are Fry's, who likes to repackage and dishonestly sell things as new all the time ).

Trust me, Amazon does it too. As I'm sure most retailers do. I've received a G15 keyboard with sharpie markings and nonfunctional keys, along with a pocket knife that was beginning to rust.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
>>(unless they are Fry's, who likes to repackage and dishonestly sell things as new all the time ).

Trust me, Amazon does it too. As I'm sure most retailers do. I've received a G15 keyboard with sharpie markings and nonfunctional keys, along with a pocket knife that was beginning to rust.

That's terrible! :eek:
Normally, you'd expect retailers to be honest and mark such things as "open box" or "recertified"

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Fry's is expensive.

But as for newegg, I've bought 4 computer builds from them, along with countless other unneeded electrical goodies, and I've never had a problem. They've always been awesome with me.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Fry's is expensive.

They're not too bad. They may be expensive for an online retailer, but they're cheap compared to Best Buy or Circuit City. I've got a few good deals from them that were better than Newegg.

I'm very against Best Buy because of the outrageous prices for an HDMI cable, but I do enjoy using them to try out keyboards and mice and such.

But as for newegg, I've bought 4 computer builds from them, along with countless other unneeded electrical goodies, and I've never had a problem. They've always been awesome with me.

Same here. I've had to RMA once, but they paid for the shipping.

Samuraid said:
sqrage said:

That's terrible!
Normally, you'd expect retailers to be honest and mark such things as "open box" or "recertified"

I wouldn't even consider those 'open box' or 'recertified'. That's trash.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
You can't blame the specific sites, really. They are, in a sense, just market places. You gotta know what dealers you are messing with on the respective sites and whatnot. I haven't had issues w Amazon dealers as I poke around and kinda get a feel for which ones keep to their word.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.