On the Importance of the "Z-Factor"

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
Many fan-produced maps on Bnet have irritated me over something. Something I have had hard time to define, but was always there. Something about the gameplay, similar to the familiar concepts of balance or tempo, but still very different. Something about the whole process of playing in a competitive PvP maps that has reminded me of inequality and discrepancy of rewards. I can name some maps that have this problem. Battleships Crossfire, RISK-series, perhaps even DotA - the fabric of their gameplay is inevitable flawed by this problem which repulses new players by treating them in a seemingly unjust way.

It is not hard to see this problem. I am talking about the occasions when the strong dominate the weak to a disproportionate degree. The occasions when bonuses amass for the player or team who is already stronger and are denied to the players unfortunate enough to be in weaker disposition. This is what the designers of Guild Wars in this interview have called "Z-factor". This post will try to explain to any aspiring mapmaker what the Z-factor consists of, why it is bad for your map, and how you could possibly minimize it.

First of all, how do we define the "Z-factor"? In the aforementioned developers' words:
Fairness and Chance: Game balance should work in such a way that the better player usually wins, but the underdog always has a more than fair chance. Many games have a problem where the first few minutes of play determine the outcome, although it still takes a long time for the inevitable win. We called this the "Z-factor" at Blizzard, after the RTS game called "Z", by the Bitmap Brothers. While it was well- done in many regards, the game was generally a race to victory: as soon as one player captured one base more than his opponent, he would inevitably win no matter the strategy of the other player.
What this means is that whoever gained the initial advantage inevitably secured victory. Even though the players start at equal strength, the initial balance is feeble and the very first interruption destroys the equilibrium; the direction of the first quake will topple the balance of power beyond restoration. Whoever starts winning at the beginning will become more and more powerful, while whoever starts losing will be weaker and weaker until it is useless to continue playing because the outcome is obvious.

How this looks like in flawed DotA-style games is clear. The player who is skilled enough to kill enemy heroes first gains advantage over them in the form of money and experience gained from the kill. The money is exchanged for better items and so the victor deals more damage and also becomes harder to kill. The defeated player gets nothing but loss of time spent on the battlefield (and so less experience). The objective of such games (Battleships, AOS, Battletanks, DotA) is to use force against the enemy forces. When successful use of force (player kills) facilitates use of force in the future (by rewarding players with additional power), we have the problem in the game "Z."

Similarly, RISK-based maps may have the same problem. The objective of a RISK map is to gain control over 40-100 checkpoints (usually) scattered throughout the map. This is done by killing the single units guarding them using units of your own. Units are bought and the gold to do so comes from checkpoints and its amount increases in proportion to the amount of checkpoints a player controls (the more checkpoints, the more gold, hence, the bigger army). The problem is that the more checkpoints one has, the more that player's army strength increases. The more that player's power increases, the better he can push in all directions and the more able s/he is to become even stronger. The players who lack income at the beginning are less capable of securing income, a powerful army, and therefore ability to compete.

Basically, the distribution of power crumbles down like an avalanche, hauling more and more with it in its fall. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Those already strong get stronger and those who for some reason have missed the crucial first stages of the game see their chances of success grow smaller and smaller in geometric progression. The more important "the first few minutes" are for the future balance of power, the higher the Z-factor is.

I already showed why a high Z-factor is basically bad. Nobody would like to find him/herself constantly killed by players from the other team with stronger and faster ships just because they immediately joined the fight and got money and experience, while s/he was constrained and as a result not only kills AI units slower (gaining less money for boosting the ship) but is also an easier prey for the stronger enemies who will come and kill him/her, gaining money from the kill and further widening the gap. I deliberately used the old phrase "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer" because the analogy with society and income gap is so appropriate.

Of course, it is not necessarily always like this. Good coordination between players with weaker heroes/ships/less checkpoints can turn the tide if they work as a team and focus efforts. Also, well-made maps usually have some ways to keep such gaps in check. Normal Wc3 multiplayer has the mechanism of "Upkeep," which reduces income depending on the strength of the player's army. Professional game designers know about this and bear it in mind. Legend-Fire's BFME also has upkeep, keeping the Z-factor at a lower level than GolluM[WoMe]'s BFME 6.4.

However, the majority of cases out there on Bnet are not that merciful. Often, the person one might want to ally with is a moron, plus that the map may have no sorts of "handicap" features whatsoever. The playing experience is reminiscent of plain old brutal capitalism where the first person to go first in the race for better items and higher level also slows the others down by killing them and denying them progress.

And so, this is the Z-factor. The ease with which the "progress gap" between players' attempts to become stronger widens during the gameplay is what the Z-factor describes. The smaller the possibility for the unlucky players to regain the initiative and grow strong enough to match the fortunate ones, the higher the Z-factor is. And, as a consequence, the less fun the map will be for the unlucky ones.

This is a problem that every mapmaker who creates PvP maps has to address. Maps in which players play against players are always endangered of high levels of Z-factor and avalanche-like widening of gap (this piece of writing, I admit, is an answer to the high Z-factor I have witnessed in "Battleships Crossfire4.40" or "4.41" - nothing personal, but even if I'm on the winning team I'm still bored). Mapmakers ought to bear in mind that every way the map rewards a player for dealing damage to another player contributes to the level of the Z-factor. Thus, they need to be wary about it when designing the map.

Finally, how can this be averted? The answer is: using "handicap" measures that make the progressive widening of the gap as the game progresses harder.

PvP maps are reminiscent of "Zero-sum games" - a term from game theory which means that the amount of gain by one player is inevitably connected to equal loss by the opposing player. PvP maps we make are not exactly a struggle for a limited resource, but often the progress of one player IS tied to the relative regress of another. The reward for careening player B's battleship is not only the experience and the gold, but also 30 seconds during which player A will be prevented from gaining experience and gold himself.

Measures to prevent this will try to either reduce the prize for player B, or offer compensation for player A. For example, the half of players with the higher levels could receive a smaller reward per enemy kill, that is, kill of a player from the other half - the ones with low levels. RISK-type maps could reduce the Z-factor by putting a food limit or upkeep similar to that of melee maps. Footmen maps, traditionally cursed by high Z-factor, could use some compensation for lagging behind with the hero's level.

A notable example for dealing with the Z-factor is Chapter 4 of the Human campaign in "The Frozen Throne" - "The Search for Illidan." That mission is structured like an AOS map with a special unit - Illidan's prison wagon - moving towards one of the two bases. Armies are periodically sent from the two bases in order to push the enemy away from the prison wagon and make it go into their own base. We can imagine the Z-factor in this mission - if the player fails to get to the prison wagon at the beginning and allows it to automatically proceed to the enemy base, the hostile AI army could forevre keep the player from reaching it and so s/he will lose. Blizzard's genius solution to this problem is to make the waves from the two bases unequal. More precisely, the closer the prison wagon is to one of the bases, the more that side is penalized for reinforcements and, consequentially, gets smaller waves. The other side, who is witnessing victory slip away, is then given bigger waves than usual. As a result, the map automatically compensates for getting closer to success (helping the prison wagon move back to safety) by altering the balance of power and making it harder to defend. That mission is basically clean of any presence of the Z-factor, making it a notable example of how to make an AOS-kind of map.

In conclusion, the Z-factor is a problem still present in Battle.net, just like in the old days. Custom maps made by inexperienced mapmakers who cannot boast with the experience of game designers are likely to suffer from this. As a result, they will not be as fun as they could have been and their popularity will probably be limited, as the Z-factor will cause an outflux of people willing to pursue victory in a system that seems unfair and biased against them.

Also, I deliberately defend a point of view here, it's just how people write in academia.

ElChupanebre

Reaction score
I agree, I get very sick of playing battle.net now days.
I played DotA on an Australian Sever (Bored Aussie) for a few years, they held a lot of tournaments and compositions. DotA has the advantage of having literary thousands of variables; even if one player gets "fed" you can usually amount kills against them with the right items or spells or whatever. Also the Gold and Experience gained for killing Heroes is scaled appropriately. But this handicap diminishes as player numbers do. I once entered a 2v2 tournament, and after 3 kills, most games would be decided, and the scores would end up something like 2 - 8 by the end. There are a lot of ways to avoid this sort of stuff in maps, I personally think RISK maps should tax you for the amount you units you have amassed. This Z Factor has made me consider a lot of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise, should help a lot of people out. Perhaps you should make this a tutorial?

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
very interesting read. I agree with it 100%

For those who are too lazy:

When making a pvp map, make sure there are ways for the losing side to catch up

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Making players have handicaps at the start.

Who said anything about having them at the start?

Basically, if a team gets an advantage, such as more experiences and kills, there should be a way to balance that advantage out, handicaps being the main way.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
i find that unpredictable gameplay is also good for balance (ie. free for all)

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
There are countless of threads about this so called "Snowball" -effect in for example wc3c.net.

I think 2-P or someone made this cool Soccer example.

In Soccer, when you score, it brings you closer to the victory.

It, however, does not raise your change to score again.

( Of course it kinda does, it it does bad for other teams morale, but it doesnt exactly make the goal bigger, and thus scoring easier. )

If there was Snowball effect in soccer, each time the ball goes behind the goal keeper, the goal would grow larger and make scoring easier for other team.
This way they would probably score again pretty soon, and scoring would become easier and easier all the time.

The Snowball keepsgrowing bigger and bigger when rolling dow the hill.

In AoS maps Snowball effect means that when you kill enemy hero, it makes killing enemy heroes easier for you.

And theres loads of ways to make Snowballs for AoS maps.

-Revival times.
-Experience from killing enemy Hero.
-Gold from killing enemy Hero.
-Taking gold away from dying Hero.

-Experience and levels make hero killing easier.
-With gold you can get stuff that makes hero killing easier.

AoS maps are mostly about gaining some Snowball mass, so you can penetrate enemys defense and take defensive structures down to defeat them.

The problem is that it can get out of hands, and few mistakes in early game can make enemy heroes unstopable for you heroes in late game.

You can of course avoid this. In Tides of Blood, you gain Blood resource from hero kills. Blood is mostly used to build unit producing towers that help in pushing, but not really in hero killing.

Also, in ToB hero killing is not done with items, but with hero abilities, team work and good timing & aiming. Hero kills do make hero killing easier, but enemy can still beat you if they start playing better.
The way you control your hero and work with your team matters more than the Snowball.

But yea. Thats the Snowball effect. Interesting stuff.

edit. I personally hate the whole handicap thing. Theres better ways to do it Im sure. Even if enemy has stronger army, you should be able to defeat him, if you can choose where to fight and when to fight. Taking the advantage of terrain and taking enemy by suprise should play bigger roles. Taking advantages of enemys little mistakes in one of the most important things.

I think that wc3 and sc2 are going to wrong direction. It should not be so much about creating loads of right units that counter on enemy units. More about choosing where to fight and when to fight. Knowing enemys plans and countering to them. Not countering to their units, lols.

BlueMirage

Trust, but doubt.
Reaction score
Definately interesting for serious mapmakers. I'll be keeping this in mind when I get to the gameplay of map.

+rep for you.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
I think that wc3 and sc2 are going to wrong direction. It should not be so much about creating loads of right units that counter on enemy units. More about choosing where to fight and when to fight. Knowing enemys plans and countering to them. Not countering to their units, lols.

Erm...I'm sure REAL starcraft strategy is about this. If you play like "creating loads of right units that counter on enemy units" then you're probably playing wrong.

Also, this is the wrong section, I believe it would fit better in Warcraft Talk, as this is the World Editor HELP zone.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Think of the Battle of Midway.

Japanese had the best carrier aircraft in the world, A6M Zero, and damn good pilots. They had 4 carriers against USA´s 3 carriers.

( Better units. )

USA had broke Japanse code, so they knew about the plan. Also they did some damn good scouting, which was crucial for the victory. They knew Japanese were coming.

( Good scouting )

When Americans aircrafts attacked, they could do no damage to Japanese carriers, and they lost 83 planes when Japanese only lost 6.

( Better units again )

Then when all Zeros are in the air intercepting enemies, few USA´s dive bombers sneak past them and bomb the shit out of 3 Japanese carriers.

( Enemy makes the mistake and you take the advantage of it. )

With no carriers Japanese loose about 250 planes and the whole damn battle.

( Pwnt. )

This is something I wanna see. A combat where you wait anemy to make a little mistake, which can be turned to a killing blow. ( Then again, I dont have sc2 beta, so my knowledge only comes from watching videos. )

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
There are countless of threads about this so called "Snowball" -effect in for example wc3c.net.

Yeah, I didn't know about that, frankly. I just asked a friend last night (who had studied game theory) if there was anything like this in that field... And he knew about that same interview.

On the point of handicap - yes, it can be irritating. Another option would be making a difference between action and reward. Take AOS/DotA's:

There is the competition: two heroes "racing" to kill each other first

And there is the reward: additional "speed" in the form of XP, HP, DPS, items, etc.

The problem here is that the reward is connected to the competition - additional power makes you "move faster" in the race to dealing more damage. The reward directly influences the competition. And it does so in a way disadvantageous to the loser, unleashing the "snowball" and signifying a high Z-factor.

If the reward were unrelated to the competition, the Z-factor could be reduced and snowballing could drop. For example, getting rewarded not with gold, but with lumber. In our hypothetical map gold pumps up the hero like in DotA but lumber doesn't. Lumber is used to achieve some other victory condition instead, like building some unique building. If the map were like this and both teams had to construct something, the problem would be partially solved. Hero kills will not lead to more hero kills, but they would not be disconnected from winning the game either because they still bring you closer to the ultimate goal by giving you lumber. And the best thing is - it will be easier to catch up and gain the upper hand, because additional hero kills do not change the balance of power so drastically as they would if the penalties/rewards from DotA were working.
:rolleyes:

As for mistakes: I totally agree and approve, Viikuna. Battles should be decided on the field and not in the factories/barracks/gateways. Again, to make a conceptual difference.

A battle between two armies is two groups of units approaching one another and dealing damage to units from the other side. In reality it is more complicated than that because there is terrain and varying types of units (+rock/paper/scissors element).

Deciding the outcome through ppl's actions means using the terrain and the different units to the best effect.
The terrain requires people to maneuver around obstacles and and keep enemy units in range and under fire, while re-arranging one's army and minimizing exposure and covering one's own units. We try to keep weak units at the rear, durable units at the front, and, in general, form our army in such a way that it is harder to kill. We know what our army consists of and we plan where our units go and when they attack accordingly.

This is the tactics element - the player is taking decisions during the battle itself about using troops in time and space. and mistakes, like exposing weak units (artillery) or sacrificing troops for nothing, will ideally give the enemy a period of time during which s/he will be killing our troops faster than we will be killing his/hers. Hence, advantage. In the best case, such situations will decide victory.

What troubles Viikuna, and ppl like him, it seems, is the uselessness of using tactics. Trying the above is futile.

Battles seem to be about the different composition of armies and not how they are used. Simply throwing them against the enemy is enough, as long as we know that we have the rock/scissors/paper and s/he has the scissors/paper/rock. Our scourges vs their battlecruisers, our zerglings vs their siege tanks, our mass firebats vs their mass zealots. Arrangement doesn't matter and "herd" formation is the necessary minimum.

Why are formations and tactics obsolete? I can think of a single reason for that. It is not that mass units are better than a mixed army - I've heard Blizz themselves say the opposite, and, furthermore, the AI in StarCraft and Wc3 seems to use all sorts of units anyway. My explanation is speed.

First, units move too fast. IRL, tanks are sluggish compared to airplanes or helicopters and infantry is sluggish compared to tanks. In games like SC, this difference is quite diminished.

Second, and more importantly, battles in SC are too brief. Units kill each other at amazing speeds compared to real war. 40 soldiers with rifles vs 40 other soldiers with rifles fight for far longer periods of time in reality than in SC. Reality offers cover and opportunities to use terrain. In SC there is no such thing and infantry face each other bravely on the field as if it's the Civil War all over again (and die shortly afterwards). Tanks, battleships, you name it - anything shoots quick and dies fast.

What this means is that battles usually take a minute after the armies encounter. One minute is less than insufficient time for a person to think about tactics and organization of the army. In a matter of seconds do zerglings and hydralisks fall upon the zealots and before one can say stratagem or pull back from where the enemy focuses fire, half the belligerents are gone. There's no time for tactics - it's mainly about finding the rock to the enemy's scissors and throwing it forwards without further considerations.

In a way this is good, because it keeps the game dynamic. However, it can also be disappointing for more pensive players. After all, if you want tactics, there's always Total War, and if you want tempo, there's SC. I'm not saying SC lacks strategy and knowing where to send your siege tanks, but it does lack tactics and freedom to react to the enemy once the fighting has started. WarCraft falls somewhere in between, because a battle takes longer than SC. So, I guess helping THAT problem requires taking away from the intensity of the gameplay.

But that's offtopic. It's not connected to the Z-factor.

P.s. I guess ill try making it a tutorial - shouldn't take long.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Yea.

Blood in ToB was a nice reward. Hero killing directly helped pushing, but not hero killing.

Snowball effect is not really a problem if you are aware of it. Its just that since DotA has today bigger player base than wc3 and too many new map makers get their ideas from DotA.

As for battles being too brief in games like sc, I totally agree. In sc you either fight, or dont fight, you either loose most of your units or win. There should be more levels.

Like staying close to enemy and shooting few rockets from distance, seeing for enemy reacts. Sending few squads to harass enemy a bit, forcing them to do something about it and giving you a change to try to take advantage of their actions.

edit. For AoS maps Id like to see more temporary power boosts like Blood Meter they are planning for ToB O.

For example power boosting potions, which boost your strenght, attack crit, spell crit, intellect, attack speed, damage and other thingies for short amount of time would be quite neat.
Instead of 15 minutes of farming gold for some item, you could spend that 15 minutes for buying power boosting potions with that gold. They would also have this timing aspect: You need to know when to use them, try to lure enemy to position where running away would hurt them most and use potions then.

Also Heroes should really start with something like 5 ability points, so you can qut away the unnecessary early game. Also I have some neat cooldown related ideas and more.

Im probably gonna create an AoS someday. Probably for sc2, though. Got 10 characters planned that could work in somekind of fighting game. Id just had to think cool abilities for them and learn to model better to be able to actually make them...

BlueMirage

Trust, but doubt.
Reaction score
I might add that from a player's perspective (Not as a designer), I thought that ToB was a horrible map. The lack of a snowball effect for heroes made it feel like I got no reward whatsoever for killing heroes, if I actually did manage to kill them because every player just kept buying anti-magic potions.

The map did however have minibases, which in my opinion were too important. If you lost them (Which was darn easy), you had lost. That's a snowball effect.

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
Yea, you had to dispell those antimagic potions alla time.

And indeed killing a hero in ToB required some teamwork. ( There was some cool video in youtube about UD team trying to take down sashi, but I cant find it anymore, damn. )

Gotta agree with that expansion thing, though.

You had to keep them alive, or at leats take enemy expansions down too. If there is no coordination between team members its indeed too easy to loose one. Have played games where my teammates just keep staying in mid lanes when the whole enemy team takes down top expansion.

But it still worked pretty nicely IMO. Probably Im just being nostalgic.

edit. Yea, loosing an expansion was indeed a Snowball effect. If you lost top expansion, your top middle lane spawn became vulnerable.

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
Very, very nice read. Pointed out a lot of good stuff that go unnoticed.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
Just my opinion:

Giving a chance for the other player to catch up will probably just prolong the game, and sometimes it is not desireable to have a long game. For example, A beats B, then B catches up and almost beats A, then A catches up again, and so on.

I mean, if the player did badly during the beginning he deserves to lose.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.