Overwrite Needed VariableS?

BlackNerubia

Reaction score
alright so ive got a quick question about a variable i use,

so basicly i have a dialog menu that sets numbers that every player uses when they start, the question is that it uses a temp variable to reduce the size of the triggers as well as make it faster, the only problem is that every user uses it, so my question is that if 2 players where to overite it at the same time and execute the next trigger, would both players get the same results or would that Split second diffrence be all it takes to keep the info needed long enough?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
It overwrites the variables, interfering with the execution of the first. The only way to avoid this is to use local variables instead of global, or use an array. (This is tricky, though, depending on the action).
EDIT: This doesn't happen if your trigger doesn't have wait actions.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Without seeing your trigger(s) we can only guess...

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
You might be able to create an array with one for each player, and have the numbers correspond to the player number. Then I think you could keep just one trigger for all the players.

BlackNerubia

Reaction score
yeah thats what im doing, but the way i had it setup was the variables created a Temporary player for creating a dialog menu and then others could use the same temp player, but the problem is that when 1 players using it if another player uses it, it drops some of the data of the first player making the outcome unpredictable, so i have to make a seperate trigger for each player to reduce lag as well as confusion

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Like SFilip said, it would be better if we could see your triggers. You should post them. :p

BlackNerubia

Reaction score
Lol ill post my mess when i get back to my house, just so you know things are messy until i get it working the way i like, then i clean up, but ill post them when i get home

BlackNerubia

Reaction score
Well i looked it through and was able to remove half the variables after thinking some and heres the code i have now.

I forgot to mention this is a custom Hero Selection that will be easy to add more characters with, im not sure if im going to use it, or just put it online for others to use

Character Data
Code:
Character Data
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        -------- Button Names --------
        Set CharacterButtonNames[1] = Create New Character
        Set CharacterButtonNames[2] = Load Previous Character
        Set CharacterButtonNames[3] = Next Character
        Set CharacterButtonNames[4] = Previous Character
        Set CharacterButtonNames[5] = Select This Character
        -------- Amount Of Charecters To Select --------
        Set CharacterAmount = 2
        -------- Character Animation --------
        Set CharacterAnimation[1] = stand
        Set CharacterAnimation[2] = attack
        Set CharacterAnimation[3] = stand victory
        Set CharacterAnimation[4] = spell
        -------- Character Model --------
        Set CharacterModel[1] = Witch Doctor
        Set CharacterModel[2] = Spell Breaker
        -------- Welcome Menu Set --------
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to 8, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Set PlayerCharacter[(Integer A)] = CharacterModel[1]
                Set PlayerNumber[(Integer A)] = 1
        -------- Player Region --------
        Set PlayerRegion[1] = Player 1 <gen>
        Set PlayerRegion[2] = Player 2 <gen>
        Set PlayerRegion[3] = Player 3 <gen>
        Set PlayerRegion[4] = Player 4 <gen>
        Set PlayerRegion[5] = Player 5 <gen>
        Set PlayerRegion[6] = Player 6 <gen>
        Set PlayerRegion[7] = Player 7 <gen>
        Set PlayerRegion[8] = Player 8 <gen>
        Set PlayerRegion[9] = Player 9 <gen>
        Set PlayerRegion[10] = Player 10 <gen>
        -------- Witch Doctor --------
        Set CharacterName[1] = Witch Doctor|n
        Set CharacterTip[1] = |cffffffffAdept at brewing potions and|nsniffing out rare herbs|n|n
        Set CharacterClass[1] = Class: Support|n
        Set CharacterRace[1] = Race: Troll|n
        Set CharacterAbilitys[1] = Abilitys: Brew Potion, Sence Herb,|nHealing Ward, Voodoo Eye,|nand|r |c00eb0000Stasis Trap|r
        Set CharacterDialogTip[1] = ((CharacterName[1] + CharacterTip[1]) + (CharacterClass[1] + (CharacterRace[1] + CharacterAbilitys[1])))
        Unit - Create 1 Witch Doctor for Neutral Passive at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Remove (Last created unit) from the game
        -------- Spell Breaker --------
        Set CharacterName[2] = Spell Breaker|n
        Set CharacterTip[2] = |cffffffffAdept at controling the magic of|nbattles|n|n
        Set CharacterClass[2] = Class: Support/Offensive|n
        Set CharacterRace[2] = Race: Bloodelf|n
        Set CharacterAbilitys[2] = Abilitys: Control Magic, Feedback,|nSpell Shield, Mana Burst,|nand|r |c00eb0000Magic Defence|r
        Set CharacterDialogTip[2] = ((CharacterName[2] + CharacterTip[2]) + (CharacterClass[2] + (CharacterRace[2] + CharacterAbilitys[2])))
        Unit - Create 1 Spell Breaker for Neutral Passive at (Center of (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Remove (Last created unit) from the game
Welcome Menu Run
Code:
Welcome Menu Run
    Events
        Time - Elapsed game time is 10.00 seconds
    Conditions
    Actions
        Dialog - Create a dialog button for CharacterDialog[9] labelled CharacterButtonNames[1]
        Set CharacterDialogButtons[1] = (Last created dialog Button)
        Dialog - Create a dialog button for CharacterDialog[9] labelled CharacterButtonNames[2]
        Set CharacterDialogButtons[2] = (Last created dialog Button)
        Dialog - Change the title of CharacterDialog[9] to Welcome To Rpg
        For each (Integer A) from 1 to 8, do (Actions)
            Loop - Actions
                Dialog - Show CharacterDialog[9] for (Player((Integer A)))
Character Menu Run
Code:
Character Menu Run
    Events
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[1]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[2]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[3]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[4]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[5]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[6]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[7]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[8]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[9]
    Conditions
        And - All (Conditions) are true
            Conditions
                (Clicked dialog button) Not equal to CharacterDialogButtons[2]
                (Clicked dialog button) Not equal to CharacterDialogButtons[5]
    Actions
        Camera - Pan camera for (Triggering player) to (Center of (PlayerRegion[(Player number of (Triggering player))] offset by (-500.00, 250.00))) over 0.00 seconds
        Unit - Remove PlayerDemo[(Player number of (Triggering player))] from the game
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Clicked dialog button) Equal to CharacterDialogButtons[3]
            Then - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] Equal to CharacterAmount
                    Then - Actions
                        Set PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] - (CharacterAmount - 1))
                        Set PlayerCharacter[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = CharacterModel[PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))]]
                    Else - Actions
                        Set PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] + 1)
                        Set PlayerCharacter[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = CharacterModel[PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))]]
            Else - Actions
                    If - Conditions
                        PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] Equal to 1
                    Then - Actions
                        Set PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] + (CharacterAmount - 1))
                    Else - Actions
                        Set PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))] - 1)
        Dialog - Clear CharacterDialog[(Player number of (Triggering player))]
        Dialog - Create a dialog button for CharacterDialog[(Player number of (Triggering player))] labelled CharacterButtonNames[3]
        Set CharacterDialogButtons[3] = (Last created dialog Button)
        Dialog - Create a dialog button for CharacterDialog[(Player number of (Triggering player))] labelled CharacterButtonNames[5]
        Set CharacterDialogButtons[5] = (Last created dialog Button)
        Dialog - Create a dialog button for CharacterDialog[(Player number of (Triggering player))] labelled CharacterButtonNames[4]
        Set CharacterDialogButtons[4] = (Last created dialog Button)
        Dialog - Change the title of CharacterDialog[(Player number of (Triggering player))] to CharacterDialogTip[PlayerNumber[(Player number of (Triggering player))]]
        Unit - Create 1 PlayerCharacter[(Player number of (Triggering player))] for (Triggering player) at (Center of PlayerRegion[(Player number of (Triggering player))]) facing Default building facing degrees
        Set PlayerDemo[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (Last created unit)
        Dialog - Show CharacterDialog[(Player number of (Triggering player))] for (Triggering player)
Character Creation
Code:
Character Creation
    Events
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[1]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[2]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[3]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[4]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[5]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[6]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[7]
        Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for CharacterDialog[8]
    Conditions
        (Clicked dialog button) Equal to CharacterDialogButtons[5]
    Actions
        Unit - Remove PlayerDemo[(Player number of (Triggering player))] from the game
        Unit - Create 1 PlayerCharacter[(Player number of (Triggering player))] for (Triggering player) at (Center of Player Start <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees
        Camera - Pan camera for (Triggering player) to (Position of (Last created unit)) over 0.00 seconds

Well there are the 4 triggers i reduced it to now :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.