Pakistan to ban youtube

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
Islamabad: Pakistani authorities on Friday banned access to the popular video-hosting website YouTube for allegedly featuring blasphemous cartoons of Prophet Mohammed.

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority directed Internet service providers across the country to block access to youtube.com.

A statement issued to customers by Micronet Broadband, one of Pakistan's leading internet service providers said, 'Pakistan Telecommunication Authority has directed all ISPs of the country to block access to YouTube for containing blasphemous web content/movies'.

The website would remain blocked till further orders from the PTA.

Micronet urged Internet users to 'write to YouTube to remove the objectionable web content/movies because this removal would enable the authorities to order un-blocking of this website'.

The blasphemous cartoons had triggered widespread protests across Pakistan when they were originally published. Pakistan's foreign ministry recently registered a strong protest with the Danish government against the republication of the cartoons in that country.

No one know how youtube have responded this might explains why youtube is closed this evening.

stubs101

Reaction score
What do you believe in? Say a random guy who doesn't even know what or why you worship, and suddenly draws a crappy cartoon featuring one of the most important people in that religion, and then a thousand people start doing that? I don't think they're overreacting because, well Youtube has was too much freedom in that kind of thing. I guess it wasn't rational, but it wasn't insane is what I'm trying to say here.

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Do you mind citing a source for this? Then we can move it over to News.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
I agree with stubs101, it's a religion they have followed since they can remember. Then suddenly someone comes and starts doing what they prohibit?
That's no excuse to tell other people what to do. If they don't want to make pictures of mohammed or anyone at all, that's all great. But as soon as they go and tell other people, "Hey, you can't do that because of what I believe in", then you're forcing your beliefs on other people, which is just asking for trouble.

Zakyath

Reaction score
it's the will of Allah, nothing can be done...

I don't like religion for these reasons, but I still have no reason to respect those who believe, so, if they really want to believe and they think this is the best for them, it was only a question of time.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
That's no excuse to tell other people what to do. If they don't want to make pictures of mohammed or anyone at all, that's all great. But as soon as they go and tell other people, "Hey, you can't do that because of what I believe in", then you're forcing your beliefs on other people, which is just asking for trouble.

What we have here is someone from America. Someone who's Typically disrespectful, and self centered. This is how Americans, including myself at times, think. Not saying -you- are, just Americans in General.

Other countries are not like this, they still have respect for elders, they are still kind, they have many different "rules" than we do. YouTube is ran by Americans, and thus, we see no problem with the videos. Why? This kind of rudeness is allowed in our society. We're used to it, we're used to having people being jackasses to us, we're used to the trash talking of politics, and the freedom to deny our "god" here in America.

Other countries do not grant that right, they don't abide by the rules we have here. How does that make it not right? YouTube is not banned in America, because we let that kind of thing happen here. I'd hate to use this as an example, but...It's the same thing with Weed. It's allowed in other countries, but not here. Does that make us, or them, the right ones on the subject? No.

Moral is, each Country can abide by the rules they wish, America allows youtube because the content is understandable. Pakistan bans it, as it's disrespectful to their way of life. If they want the freedom to free speech, they can move to a country that allows it.

PS: I do not condone weed, that was just the only example I could think of at the time. :p

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
didnt Thailand ban youtube there because of a video that insulted the thai king?

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
didnt Thailand ban youtube there because of a video that insulted the thai king?

This one is much worse, because the routing advertisements sent by the Pakistani ISP seriously disrupted access YouTube world-wide. I can't access YouTube right now (EDIT: ok, works, but page loading times are awful). Not that it would be a huge loss...

Here's an in-depth blog entry the tech-savy (via the NANOG mailing list).

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
What we have here is someone from America. Someone who's Typically disrespectful, and self centered. This is how Americans, including myself at times, think. Not saying -you- are, just Americans in General.

Other countries are not like this, they still have respect for elders, they are still kind, they have many different "rules" than we do. YouTube is ran by Americans, and thus, we see no problem with the videos. Why? This kind of rudeness is allowed in our society. We're used to it, we're used to having people being jackasses to us, we're used to the trash talking of politics, and the freedom to deny our "god" here in America.

Other countries do not grant that right, they don't abide by the rules we have here. How does that make it not right? YouTube is not banned in America, because we let that kind of thing happen here. I'd hate to use this as an example, but...It's the same thing with Weed. It's allowed in other countries, but not here. Does that make us, or them, the right ones on the subject? No.

Moral is, each Country can abide by the rules they wish, America allows youtube because the content is understandable. Pakistan bans it, as it's disrespectful to their way of life. If they want the freedom to free speech, they can move to a country that allows it.

First of all, I never said that them banning youtube was wrong, I was talking only about them demanding that youtube remove the videos. If they want to keep their people from watching they see as wrong, then I, (and other americans, and other countries except for them themselves) have no right to go and tell them not to. I know that.

Second, I resent you telling me that I am rude because I want to defend what I believe in, and especially how you seem to think that america is all rude people, and people from other countries aren't. Just because the things many americans take for granted are seen as rude to other countries doesn't make us rude. You can only judge a person by the standards of it's own country. Someone from europe, for example, saying that the stuff americans do is wrong because of what people in europe believe, is as bad as someone from america saying that pakistanis are wrong because what they do wold be considered wrong in america.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I'm taking it you didn't see the part that says I wasn't talking about you? :rolleyes:

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
DDRtist said:

Since you started off saying how I, as someone from america, was like such and such, you can see how I got that impression. :rolleyes: I'll take your word that you didn't mean me, though. Still, most of what I said stands.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.