Pandaren Culture 'Competition'

stavious

Reaction score
OK first off this isn't a competition, it's more like a suggestion thread, but more than that... let me explain:

I am currently working on my map Pandaren Adventures. It is based on the older version from 2006, which you can download here.
It is a one big map, 160x160 instead of the old 96x96, which is why I am now only about 50% complete...
However, soon, in a few days, I'll release a beta of the map, as you can see in the link above that I am currently looking for beta-testers (so far to little avail :p ).

This is why I wanted to pitch a Pandaren Culture 'Competition' now.

The aim of this is for you to build up the Pandaren culture. Suggest certain elements of their lives and the best, and most favorable ones will be put in the game in some form or another.

You can suggest things like:
  • Names
  • Phrases
  • Artifacts
  • Habits
  • Literature
  • Etc.

So have fun suggesting ideas, and commenting on others' ideas too.
Let's widen the power and influence of the Pandarens together! :D

If you aren't as familiar with the Pandaren race you can find more about them here: Battle.net + Wowwiki.com

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Wait, so we like make up a whole tribe thing? With its culture? Ok, how's this:

Agrippa Tribe
Meaning: land grabbers

History: The Agrippa tribe are a strong and powerful group of pandas; they are very cultural and religious. They were never intelligent among their kind and could rarely invent something to help them survive, but they were fierce. They lived by fighting. The Agrippa would travel around and capture other Pandaren cities; basically, they were nomadic. However, they were not barbaric. The pandas of their tribe would peacefully pact with the cities that they captured and possible live harmoniously with them. They strived to share their culture and religion, and in their minds, that was how to do it.

Artifacts: Wearding Emerald - Guarding Emerald, a magical emerald carried down the generations of their tribe. It it said to have been first worn by the founder of the clan, and that in fatal situations, the bearer would be protected from harm.

The Conquerer - a simple haldberd... that had slain thousands. Crafted and used by the Pandaren forefathers, left and lost in their final battle, found and renewed by Wearder, the founder of the Agrippa.

Habits: -every day, the elders of the tribe would go to a solitary place, sit down, and meditate for hours. When they were at their calmest moment, they would devote their time and pay tribute to their gods. They believed that in doing this and sacrificing their peace, they would be granted power and strength in battle.

I have to go now, I'll finish it when I return. I haven't played the old version yet so I don't know what it's about so I just made all this stuff up.

stavious

Reaction score
Wait, so we like make up a whole tribe thing? With its culture?

Well you don't have to make a WHOLE tribe, though you can. You're allowed to write as much or as little as you want :) .

thewrongvine thanks for your input. Let's see what people have to say about it now. I know I liked it.

Also, just cause you mentioned it: the older version had no real storyline or plot, but rather focused more on gameplay. The new one differs in that it has both gameplay, with no bugs so far, and plot :D .

Love to hear more from other people too :)

ZeroThirteen

Reaction score
thewrongvine thanks for your input. Let's see what people have to say about it now. I know I liked it.
I thought it sounded nice, too. :thup:

Ignus Gens
In Latin: fire clan

History:
The Ignus Gens was a Pandaren clan formed many years ago by an ancient and powerful fire god, Incendia of Mons Montis (when translated, means "fire of the mountain"; suggesting the Pandaren gods had something similar to Mount Olypmus). Incendia had embodied himself as a walking entity of fire in order to destroy those who were injust. After the corruption of the Undead legion spread, Incendia could not kill the wrong in the world by himself. He left a flaming sword in the ground and ascended to the heavens once again. A small group of Pandaren explorers found the sword: it was believed to be a gift from the gods. The leader of the Pandaren explorers, Suliri, took up the sword in honor and vowed to vanquish the Undead. The clan has been disbanded today, but some Pandaren still honor and practice the tradition of the Ignus Gens.

Phrases:
"The only defeat is that in which one's pride is lost."
"The Heavens have given us all the power to do justice in the world. All of us recieved a different method, and we must learn that method to complete our service."
"When in doubt, set stuff on fire!"
"Practice not only what you preach, but what others preach to you, and the world will be as one."

Artifacts:
Incendia Polus - "Fire of the Heavens". A flaming sword, given as a gift to the Pandaren from Incendia of Mons Montis, that had stricken down thousands of wrongdoers. Some say it possesses the power to split the Earth and call forth the very flames of Hell to vanquish evil. It currently sits mounted above a fireplace in the forgotten Ignus Gans meeting hall.

Heart of Suliri - A ruby that holds the power of the former leader of the Ignus Gans. It was kept safe for hundreds of years, but was lost during a battle against the Undead. It is rumored that the Heart has been discovered, but not attained.

Habits:
The Ignus Gans absolutely hate injustice and those who do it. Their desire for world peace cannot be yielded. They practiced Fire magic in honor of their god. They live scattered across the land, but a few local groups still hold private meetings.

Literature:
The Ignus Gans study the Libri of Incendia, the holy book of the fire god. Many have quite a taste for novels and poetry, but the times have scattered such work and the Ignus Gans no longer dedicate part of their culture to reading.

stavious

Reaction score
Ignus Gens
In Latin: fire clan

Hehe, nice Latin :p .
OK, let's get some more ideas people, so far these have been great.
Remember, you don't have to make up a whole tribe, just one name or phrase is enough. Any contribution is welcome :D .
Go Pandaren wild!! :p

bananaHUNT

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
you guys are such good storytellers :thup:
here's my shot

Aeolian Clan

History: Windwalkers, Cloudsurfers they are called. Mouths whisper these Pandaren decended from Aeolus himself. Whether this is true or not, it is hard to tell. For the Pandaren from the Aeolian Clan are not easily found. Once, they moved among the landdwellers, as shadows in a crowd. Unhappy as they were, they often used their air energies to conceal themselves from outsiders. Their desire to break free finally peaked into the recreation of Aeolian magic, granting them the power to build large towns high in the skies, invisible for the human eye. Although they cannot become airborne on their own, human stories tell of flying Pandaren, appearing out of thin air. Their songs are often mysteriousely heard during a large storm, yet only a few Aeolian Pandaren have been seen by a wandering traveller.

Phrases: "Music, the mosaic of the air."
"Wisdom and peace sail with the winds."
"The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind."
"Invisible like the air, in front of your face and everyone elses. Silent and deadly."

Artifacts: Energies of Aeolus - This ancient artifact was forged by the first Aeolian Pandaren, granting them power and control over the winds. Although the main energy source lies in a crystal in Aeol'Dan, the highest of Aeolian towers, it is spreaded among every Pandaren of the Aeolian Clan. Therefore even when the crystal is destroyed, the energies live on in any surviving Aeolian Pandaren.

Habits: The Aeolian Pandaren avoid being seen in public. Flying on the clouds, they sometimes visit their brethren on the grounds, but do so only in times of need. Their god is the wind itself, on which they live and meditate.

Literature: Not much is known about the little amount of writing of the Aeolian Pandaren. The Aeolian Clan does not spend it's time on books, because their information is transferred from tongue to tongue. All that has been written is stored in Aeol'Dan.

AdamGriffith

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Slightly off topic:
The movement system on the old version was a bit dodgy at times.

stavious

Reaction score
Slightly off topic:
The movement system on the old version was a bit dodgy at times.

All taken care of. It now works perfectly, I assure you :thup: .
Also, I am very glad you remember the last one :D .
AdamGriffith, do you have any cultural suggestion too maybe? :)

AdamGriffith

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Not really sorry.
I'm really bad with sorry lines! =[

P.S. I did really enjoy the last one :)

stavious

Reaction score
P.S. I did really enjoy the last one :)

And remember, if you aren't giving new suggestions or such, you can always comment and give your opinion about what other people have said. So everyone can contribute in their own way :D .
By the way too, the three tribes so far fit in perfectly with the kind of plot I had started myself, and elements of each are most likely to be used. Thanks guys.
I'd love to hear more ideas too :thup: .

stavious

Reaction score
Cool just looking for a bit more ideas... just some random funny and cool stuff that you guys can come up with like habits and phrases and what not.
Also we need SPECIFIC Pandaren names, to give to the characters and stuff :) .
Finally, you can also just simply say what you think about what other people had to say. Trying to get as much out of you as we can :p ... So far you've all been of great help though, thanks :) .

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Just make up random names like... "Stavious". :)

Sorry that I didn't finish my tribe; I got too lazy. :p Here's an ultimate one:

Kung Fu Pandas :p

History: Ever since the beginning of the Pandas, there was one panda who always deserted their tribes... to learn KUNG FU! One by one, the Kung Fu Tribe grew larger and larger, and soon, they were a powerful tribe that used martial arts to defeat enemies. Though they could be dangerous, they were peaceful, too, and only fought in times of desperate needs (such as when someone is eating your food).

stavious

Reaction score
Kung Fu Pandas :p

Umm well OK...
I still need basically specific pandaren names. Cause the main hero at the moment has no name, so if someone can come up with some I'll consider them.
Just note that he'll have more than one name since he's a hero, and they get several ones and then the games chooses one at random when you start.
So if anyone wants to come up with on the the Pandaren's names please share them here :D . Thanks.

stavious

Reaction score
Did you make that panda at post #1?

Haha, no. I'd wish it was. It's an official Blizzard Pandaren concept art picture of the Pandaren, made by the artist Samwise. You can find it in many sites on the net. It is a great picture though isn't it? :p

Well then does anyone have any on topic suggestions? :eek:

By the way, the release is postponed a bit because I'm on vacation until the 12th, in which I have no way of working on my map, so the Beta will only be out a few days after that. Thanks for your patience :thup: .

T

Teoverfield

This is my best shot lol

Troden Tribe: Meaning Simply Tropical Pandaren.

Backstory: Unlike the rest of their race, the Troden Tribe is a relativly social tribe. They migrated to the untamed wilds of Stranglethorn Vale. They frequently trade with goblins and share their knowledge with passing travelers.. for a small fee. Most of their tribe lives in the capital village of Aom Nahabi, lead by the Pandaren Brewmaster Sinsho Earthgrace. Although they enjoy the company of others they too need their time alone.

Artifacts
: Pantani Battlestaff: Said to be crafted and used by the geomancer, Dao Greenpaw, the founder of the Troden tribe.

Habits: The Troden don't form many habits althought one strange one does stick out. Once a year through April 14-18 the tribal elders travel to Snowpeak Mountain in Northrend and climb to the summit. Although it may seem strange for a tropical tribe to visit the icy wastelands of Northrend so frequently, speculation is that some sort of entity, or god, resides in a cave on the summit of Snowpeak. Although many have attempted to journey to the said cave, they never come back.

Literature: They have no religous books, the only books the keep are records of weather patterns, trade transactions, a sort of record of the elders, and wildlife.

Ect: they r teh pwnzors :D

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
the ether tribe, the tribe is known for its alchlohol making skills and is the home of the panderab brewmaster (they have to come from somewhre, right). here the drink is more important than the sword, and their main town literally smells of alclohol. Culturally, the worshipped dionasus, the god of alclohol, although the traditions are less worshipping, and more beer based. They often use beer bottles as weapons.

ok, this is a studpid idea, but I always wondered where pandaren brewmasters live, plus it could provide comic relief.
And be fun to make.

stavious

Reaction score
OK nice work, thanks for the input. I think we have enough tribe ideas already :D , even though if you think you have a good one please still do share of course ;) .

What we are really looking for now are NAMES. Names of Pandarens, like: Pandi Mandy, Telen Flamestriker, Yolkel Drinkalot. Dunno those ones were bad. But they were just a sample (that's why I need your help :D ).
Looking for about 10 names in total to name the main hero of the game, so whip up something good and special :thup: . Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.