Question about spell cooldowns

Versae

Reaction score
Alright, after some looking around I've discovered that spell cooldowns cannot be manipulated. Yet, when your remove a spell from a hero and add it again the cooldown gets completely reset.

So my question is: how would you make a hero that (a bit like DotA's Invoker) has many spells, each with its own cooldown yet the spell isn't always shown?

I haven't checked in the editor too much if there is a way to hide a spell (make it unusable and have a hidden icon), if there is then the answer to this question is pretty obvious, but if there isn't then I really am curious as to how the DotA dev team pulled it off.

Imp Midna

Reaction score
As Long as you are moving around in the expansion pack, Disable Spell will do what you want as far as i can recall. In roc Disable Spell has different behaviour though and will not hide the spell nor make you unable to use it.

Versae

Reaction score
Well that's awesome, I didn't think it would be that simple!

So does that also mean that a hero can have an unlimited amount of spells as long as all but 6 are disabled?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
If it doesn't, you could use an Engineering Upgrade ability to replace those abilities with dummy abilities based off Channel, with the same cooldowns but no Visible option.

Versae

Reaction score
Well Imp's solution worked for me (decided to make a map that includes a hero with many spells :p)...

Just wondering though, is there a way to make a spell go on cooldown from the editor? I know we can't manipulate cooldowns, but we can remove them so is there a way to put it on cooldown (preferably without having to cast the spell)?

Amn

Reaction score
Well Imp's solution worked for me (decided to make a map that includes a hero with many spells :p)...

Just wondering though, is there a way to make a spell go on cooldown from the editor? I know we can't manipulate cooldowns, but we can remove them so is there a way to put it on cooldown (preferably without having to cast the spell)?
i spent a lot of time trying to get that effect, i got nothing but a strange combination using Create Corpse ability with 1 max corpse, then by trigger i enable and disable the ability to make it go on cooldown. (or something like that, i cant remember)

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
The abilities Berserk and Windwalk are instant casters. Just remove your original casting ability and add either of the abilities and order your unit to cast them. The cooldown will take place. The actions will be instant that it isn't noticeable. But your unit's current order will be disrupted. That's the downside. And it requires laborious triggering... Might not be so friendly.

This also means a single unit can only have 2 separate abilities with this system. Otherwise the order string will mess up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.