Tutorial Quick Forest Terraining

mr-death

Acolyte
Reaction score
Quick Forest Terraining by mr-death
Warcraft III The Frozen Throne World Editor needed.
Classification: Forest Terraining. Tutorial for: Pros and Newbies. Difficulty: Medium
_________________________ _____________________________________________ ________________________
Took only 10-20 (If you practice, it will be 5-10) minutes to create a nice forest.

On creating a Realistic Atmosphere of Terrains, you must remember one thing:
- Casualness! No Natural Forest in this world is Monotone!
_________________________ _____________________________________________ ________________________
Contents (Use Ctrl+F (Find) to jump to the part)
I. Instruction for Newbie
II. Instruction for Pro
III. Instruction for Noise-Smooth step
IV. Forest
I. Instruction for Newbie
Open your WE Terrain Editor, you will see the Palette on the right side of the Ground Texture!
(If you don't see anything, pick menu Windows, submenu New Palette, subsubmenu Terrain Palette)

Here you can set the palette to Unit Palette, Doodad Palette, Terrain Palette, Region Palette, and Camera Palette.

The used ones are just Doodad Palette and Terrain Palette, the orders will be seen below.

Then you should be Introduced to the Palettes first.

Introduction to used Palettes for Newbie
[Doodad Palette]
Here, in Doodad Palette, you can see an option for the Tileset, an option for the Type, and a list of Doodads, then under the list you will see Brush Size and Brush Shape.

Simple way of making doodads:
1. Pick a doodad type,
2. Pick a Brush Size,
3. Pick a Brush Type,
4. click on the Ground!

[Terrain Palette]
Then, move onto Terrain Palette, here you can see an option for Apply Texture, an option for Apply Cliff, an option for Cliff Type, an option for Apply Height, and Lastly Brush Size and Shape again.

Simple way of making ground texture:
1. Pick a terrain texture, by clicking on the textures
2. Choose the Brush Size and Shape
3. Click on the ground!

Simple way of making ground cliffs:
1. Pick a terrain cliff, by clicking one of them (increase one, increase two, decrease one, decrease two, same level, ramp, shallow water, deep water)
2. Pick a cliif type, by clicking one of the cliff types.
3. Choose the Brush Size and Shape
4. Click on the ground!

Simple way of making ground heights:
1. Pick an option in apply height,
2. Choose the Brush Size and Shape
3. Click on the ground!
II. Instruction for Pro
Learn the Noise-Smooth step below

Open your Terrain Editor, then see the step pictures below (just scroll down, see, scroll down, see, scroll down, see) and follow them.

...that's enough isn't it?
III. Instruction for Noise-Smooth step
oh yeah, one more thing: learn the Noise-Smooth step:
1. noise all the Forest into ashes. (into ashes means don't left anything un-noised)
2. then notice the black holes on the green brush (looks like black holes, aren't they)
that looks like
ForestTerrain5.jpg

this
3. then purifies all the Forest with smooth, make sure you still have wavy ground without black holes.

IV. Forest

Then, let's get to the point, open the Terrain Editor.
[Doodad Palette]
Now you're in Terrain Editor, so pick the Tree Wall and create Trees randomly as shown below!
Brush Size: 3
Brush Shape: Circle (It's a lot casual than the monotone Square brush)

Remember for some Spaces, so it will be like this:
ForestTerrain1.jpg

[Doodad Palette]
Second, create Trees randomly with
Brush Size: 2
Brush Shape: Square (To add complexity)

Click and hold on one point and sweep it randomly so it will be like this:
Always remember to have some spaces!
ForestTerrain2.jpg

[Terrain Palette]
A Forest with the same level will be Monotone so Third, create Different Level with
Apply Cliff: Increase Two & Increase One
Brush Size: 2
Brush Shape: Square (In this case, Circle will be far too Casual! <don't try>)

Create a Huge area for each level, so it will be a ramps forest, looks real enough to enjoy!
ForestTerrain3.jpg

[Terrain Palette]
A Forest without any ground broke, is not realistic! so Fourth, create Different Ground Texture with:
Apply Height: Noise and Smooth (Hell Yeah!)
Brush Size: 4-8
Brush Shape: Square (No big difference in the Shape, anyway I use Square)

noise all the Forest into ashes!
ForestTerrain4.jpg

then notice the black holes on the green brush!
ForestTerrain5.jpg

then purifies all the Forest with smooth! (note here, you should smooth it by click slowly one by one, and only until the black holes above are removed) so the ground will be wavy without black holes:
ForestTerrain6.jpg

[Terrain Palette] and [Doodad Palette]
Next is decide the path you want to make, by creating ramps and removing some trees!
Use Selection Brush for Doodad Palette, and remove the annoying trees, then create ramps for the path, finally create the path:
ForestTerrain7.jpg

Tips: to create realistic path, add some grass randomly on it!
[Doodad Palette]
Next, add accessories! The forest won't be enough with just trees and earth broking, add some flowers, birds, etc. Make sure you blend them all, so there will be no "emptiness" on the forest.
ForestTerrain8.jpg

[Menu: Scenario]
If you want perfect warmth of the sun, add Sky, Fog, and anything you want on the Scenario - Options and Prefs,
ForestTerrain9.jpg

The Forest now, is enjoyable! Take deep breath and see the lights... Refreshing!
Adding some Bandits, Trolls, or else? As you wish!
ForestTerrain10.jpg

Forest Gallery...

ForestTerrain9.jpg

ForestTerrain11.jpg

ForestTerrain12.jpg

ForestTerrain13.jpg

ForestTerrain14.jpg

Took 5-10 minutes for each forest above. Try yourself!
These are my tips:

The more time you spend on terraining, the more you can feel "WOW"

The more you practise, the faster you can get a nice forest

The more your skills and creativity, the better forest you get

The more doodads you use, the less emptiness you feel

I believe there are soooo many better forests than my forests so don't worry ;)
Tricks? I used only one trick:

Noise-Smooth step (III. Instruction for Noise-Smooth step)

This trick will make your map look a lot casual and natural!
Believe it or no, my forest with and without this step is very very different!

Hope they Help you a bit!

Good Luck!

Edit I June 12th, 2007: More Gallery Pictures
Edit II July 2nd, 2007 : More specifications for Newbie and pros, added tips on post #13

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

Hmmmm...this tutorial is very.......intresting. Is it ment for begginers? If so then perhaps you should say were to find specific tools that you may need. You might also want to go into more detail of what doodas and suchlike should go in which type of forest and maybe have like a little list of things you should include when making a specific type of forest! In any case the tutorial is quite nice, if a little un-explained! It is a new way of creating a forest...at least for me! Just one question: I dont think this would work very well on a flat open plain.......would it?

mr-death

Acolyte
Reaction score
Actually, the Noise-Smooth step is needed for the whole natural map, cause it's very important in making realistic ground texture.

About the Increase One or Increase Two, you can use only Increase one, or even none Cliff Terraining, it's just more casual with cliff terraining.

I think this Tutorial is for Newbs and Pros, it's just a simple way of making natural forests, for those who haven't known how to make forest, and for those who haven't known this quick way.

A

Aidyn15

Very nice terrains.. very clean.. for only taking you 5-10min for each i give +rep :D

cr4xzZz

Also known as azwraith_ftL.
Reaction score
Very nice tutorial. It really helped me a lot and gave me ideas for my map. +rep ;)

mr-death

Acolyte
Reaction score
Actually, the shrubs, rocks, or anything else can be added, of course!

But here, I'm just making very simple and quickest examples.

:) Good Luck with your forest day!

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You should show a newbie/anyone how to use doodads efficiently.

By doodads I don't mean trees but rocks, grass zones and other small things, such as flowers... There are already a few of them, but there should clearly be even more!

It is what's missing in your forest :rolleyes:

H

Hjalle

Looks very good.
Very good method if you are going to make bigger maps and if you don't wan't to spend all to much time on terraining.
Easy and simple, keep up the good work.
:cool:

mr-death

Acolyte
Reaction score
You should show a newbie/anyone how to use doodads efficiently.

By doodads I don't mean trees but rocks, grass zones and other small things, such as flowers... There are already a few of them, but there should clearly be even more!

It is what's missing in your forest :rolleyes:

Actually, the shrubs, rocks, or anything else can be added, of course!

But here, I'm just making very simple and quickest examples.

:) Good Luck with your forest day!

:D As I said before, I'm making the very simple and quickest examples, so I just made them as fast as I can! :p

The things as rocks and other small things are your creativity,
and of course spending more time on terraining will give you more perfect terrains!

Edit: And now I have edited the instructions for newbies and also for pros!

H

Hjalle

Tested it, this is my outcome:
testedtutorial1jh7.jpg

Very easy to use tutorial, but you could have explained more about doodads and the way of terraining, maybe some tricks and tips?.

Overall rating: 7/10.
Time used: About 15 minutes.

Forum rating: 4/5.

mr-death

Acolyte
Reaction score
These are my tips:

The more time you spend on terraining, the more you can feel "WOW"

The more you practise, the faster you can get a nice forest

The more your skills and creativity, the better forest you get

The more doodads you use, the less emptiness you feel

I believe there are soooo many better forests than my forests so don't worry ;)

Tricks? There is only ONE trick I use and it's a step on the tutorial:

The Noise-Smooth step, (III. Instruction for Noise-Smooth step)

This trick will make the ground look more casual and natural!
Believe it or no, the forest I made with and without this step is a lot different.

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
Quite a short tutorial, but it was good none the less.

Pros:
-Well structured layout of text
-Easy to follow
-Good variety of pics

Cons:
-Some parts are a bit vague
-The concept of forest terraining is not fully explained

Grade: B-

M

master yoda

BLINK!

a light bulb just turned on in my head.
very helpful and very to the point 9.75\10

+rep

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.