Realistic Missing Of Siege Units

bnw2000

Reaction score
How do i make siege units have a chance for their attacks to stray off , it does happen seldomly in normal games , but i just wanan increase it.

Ive seen games where if u get a item it increases ur damage and watever BUT also makes the unit miss more often , how do i do that ( wad ability to base it off)

thx

bnw2000

Reaction score
no

its not good...theres probably a better way... cause
1st : i still dunno about editting then casting fixed skills or casting custom skills

2nd:It may become laggy if i have to make units curse siege machines.... i dunno

Anyone noe which ability makes the unit miss more often?? Items can have it i dunno how

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
trigger it?
Code:
Events: 
A unit is Attacked
Conditions:
Attacking Unit Type is Catapult
Actions:
Set Miss to a Random Number between 1 and 100
If Miss is < 26 
Then:
Make Attacking Unit AttackGround at Random Point within 500 units of the Attacked Unit.
Else:
No Action

I just kinda freehanded that. just a quick warning, the missing catapult will continue missing, im kinda sleepy right now so its kinda up to you on how you will fix that.

Genyuumaru

Reaction score
Sinse attacks happen realy often, it is important to remove leaks in triggers like that.

+The trigger will not work because a function like
Code:
Random Point within 500 units of the Attacked Unit.
does not exist.

So, from the previous post, but:

Code:
Events: 
A unit is Attacked
Conditions:
Unit Type of (Attacking Unit) equal to Catapult
Actions:
Set Miss = (Random Number between 1 and 100)
If Miss Less than or equal to 25 then do (Multiple Actions):
  set Temp_Point = Unit Position of (Attacked Unit)
  set Temp_Point2 = Temp_Point Offset by (Random real number between 1 and 300) towards (Random Angle) degrees.
  Order Attacking Unit to AttackGround at Temp_Point2
  Custom Script: Call RemoveLocation (udg_Temp_Point)
  Custom Script: Call RemoveLocation (udg_Temp_Point2)
  Else do (Multiple Actions):

A trigger is also need to cause the catapults miss when they are ordered to "Attack Ground". That would be harder.

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
Well, the way siege works is that it attacks the ground that the target is standing on. So, if your target isn't moving, it will get hit for sure. If the target is moving, then it will be able to dodge the siege attack. Moving units can still take splash damage from the siege attack though, so you can tweak the effectiveness of your siege attack by changing its area of effect, as well as missile speed.

Also, all projectiles have a 25% or so chance to miss when attacking from a lower elevation than its target.

However, if you want it to always have a chance to miss, I have a few ideas. I just want to say that I don't know the most effective way, and there probably is an easier method, but I haven't done much research into projectile mechanics to know about this stuff.

As an earlier poster said, you could use curse. You don't have to have a dummy cast it every time your unit attacks, but rather have a dummy cast a curse with an infinite duration, just once. That way, you can give your unit a permanant chance to miss, but this method can't work around things like anti magic/divine shield and purge, because they would get rid of the curse. Very ineffective in my opinion, but I felt the need to elaborate on the previous suggestion anyways.

Without looking further into it, I would say a decent method would be to give your attacking unit a critical strike. This critical strike, instead of having a chance to do extra damage, would have a chance to do 0% damage. Again, not the best idea because you won't actually have stray bullets, but rather completely ineffective ones. Then again, I'm not even sure if critical strike works with splash attacks.

Anyways, these are pretty lame suggestions, but I hope I at least gave you some sort of insight as to how the whole "missing" system works.

bnw2000

Reaction score
Well, the way siege works is that it attacks the ground that the target is standing on. So, if your target isn't moving, it will get hit for sure. If the target is moving, then it will be able to dodge the siege attack. Moving units can still take splash damage from the siege attack though, so you can tweak the effectiveness of your siege attack by changing its area of effect, as well as missile speed.

Also, all projectiles have a 25% or so chance to miss when attacking from a lower elevation than its target.

However, if you want it to always have a chance to miss, I have a few ideas. I just want to say that I don't know the most effective way, and there probably is an easier method, but I haven't done much research into projectile mechanics to know about this stuff.

As an earlier poster said, you could use curse. You don't have to have a dummy cast it every time your unit attacks, but rather have a dummy cast a curse with an infinite duration, just once. That way, you can give your unit a permanant chance to miss, but this method can't work around things like anti magic/divine shield and purge, because they would get rid of the curse. Very ineffective in my opinion, but I felt the need to elaborate on the previous suggestion anyways.

Without looking further into it, I would say a decent method would be to give your attacking unit a critical strike. This critical strike, instead of having a chance to do extra damage, would have a chance to do 0% damage. Again, not the best idea because you won't actually have stray bullets, but rather completely ineffective ones. Then again, I'm not even sure if critical strike works with splash attacks.

Anyways, these are pretty lame suggestions, but I hope I at least gave you some sort of insight as to how the whole "missing" system works.

Red:Not always true... if the unit keeps moving, the seige machine will calculate and fire infront of it ( according to its speed or whatsoever) , and will most of the time hit unless u change direction AFTER it fires

Blue:I know that and it can be editted but it has nothing to do with the topic really

Anyway i was thinking of those triggers above... and i roughly know how 2 edit the trigger for the "attack ground" part...but i dont think they may have it... not sure yet....but i still can do it.

Thx anyway for helping !!!

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Sinse attacks happen realy often, it is important to remove leaks in triggers like that.

+The trigger will not work because a function like
Code:
does not exist.

So, from the previous post, but:

Code:
Events: 
A unit is Attacked
Conditions:
Unit Type of (Attacking Unit) equal to Catapult
Actions:
Set Miss = (Random Number between 1 and 100)
If Miss Less than or equal to 25 then do (Multiple Actions):
  set Temp_Point = Unit Position of (Attacked Unit)
  set Temp_Point2 = Temp_Point Offset by (Random real number between 1 and 300) towards (Random Angle) degrees.
  Order Attacking Unit to AttackGround at Temp_Point2
  Custom Script: Call RemoveLocation (udg_Temp_Point)
  Custom Script: Call RemoveLocation (udg_Temp_Point2)
  Else do (Multiple Actions):

A trigger is also need to cause the catapults miss when they are ordered to "Attack Ground". That would be harder.

Heres a code that i kindof freehanded too which is similar to the one in that post but it seems like it would work.

Code:
Melee Initialization
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is attacked
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Demolisher
    Actions
        Set Chance = (Random integer number between 1 and 100)
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                Chance Less than or equal to 25
            Then - Actions
                Set point1 = (Position of (Attacked unit))
                Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Attack Ground (point1 offset by 400.00 towards (Random angle) degrees)
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_point1)
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing

thats the above code but simplified lol... g2g to bed..

+The above code in the quote wont really work because its a random number between 1 and 300. Thus meaning that its off a little, but doesnt miss.

Somatic

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Actually, make the unit's attack NOT Homing, and make its attack to either Siege or Missle Splash. This way if its attacking a moving unit, it will hit where it initiated the attack on the targeted unit.

Another way is using the trigger to work, and
is a valid code which is a simplify version of
Code:
Point - offset by XX value at YY Angles

bnw2000

Reaction score
Heres a code that i kindof freehanded too which is similar to the one in that post but it seems like it would work.

Code:
Melee Initialization
    Events
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Demolisher
    Actions
        Set Chance = (Random integer number between 1 and 100)
            If - Conditions
                Chance Less than or equal to 25
            Then - Actions
                Set point1 = (Position of (Attacked unit))
                Unit - Order (Attacking unit) to Attack Ground (point1 offset by 400.00 towards (Random angle) degrees)
                Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_point1)
            Else - Actions
                Do nothing

thats the above code but simplified lol... g2g to bed..

+The above code in the quote wont really work because its a random number between 1 and 300. Thus meaning that its off a little, but doesnt miss.

i Know that ... im better at offseting sutff now lol... atleast nwo i understand

but the only worry i have is it will it work for multiple units ???
Removing the locations/points would do that rite???

MAJOR PROBLEM ?!?!?!
I have different seige machines going to use this trigger and i have a ballista and it uses artillary line.I dont think it has attack ground and so it will pose a problem...

So i request to anybody out there... how 2 make units miss using passive abilities

bnw2000

Reaction score
Breakthrough

i think i have found the ability

Based of the item of the Orb Of Darkness

It has stats saying

Chance to hit Heros
Chance to hit summons
Chance to hit units

so this trigger stuff could be another time... thx guys for helping though

Its not working somehow lol.............the chance parts only....maybe negative values would work??? but then ... wad do u guys think these stats mean

bnw2000

Reaction score
help

I just need help for my units (not siege weapins though)
Any ability that can make units miss often???

bnw2000

Reaction score
oh

thx.... then all i have to do is reduce the units damage ,then add damage to the ability.... but then no miss effect(also can create custom text cause cant detect when it will hit/miss)

Anyway anybody knowing an ability that makes it easier??Or anybody knows how 2 make a trigger system?

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can change the bash ability to give the unit a chance to miss or something...

bnw2000

Reaction score
hey this is pretty much what i wanted... lol close range = more damage ( Damage bonus stats) + chance to miss . i Just remove the time to stun and its done !!! THX. Now to test it lol

bnw2000

Reaction score
help

im getting mixed results....

I have a gunman which will miss more often when shooting a target when far away , by setting the level of the ability(by triggers) , but when he is near , the level of the ability is corret saying short range, but he keeps missing often like at the range of long range

Anyone can help me confirm results and tell me how 2 set the stats of the ability ,bash, correctly so it works

heres the trigger , but its definately not the trigger's fault
Code:
Distance difference Copy Copy
    Events
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Rifleman
    Actions
            If - Conditions
                (Integer((Distance between (Position of (Attacking unit)) and (Position of (Attacked unit))))) Less than or equal to 450
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Set level of Inaccurate Guns  for (Attacking unit) to 3
            Else - Actions
            If - Conditions
                And - All (Conditions) are true
                    Conditions
                        (Integer((Distance between (Position of (Attacking unit)) and (Position of (Attacked unit))))) Greater than 450
                        (Integer((Distance between (Position of (Attacking unit)) and (Position of (Attacked unit))))) Less than or equal to 600
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Set level of Inaccurate Guns  for (Attacking unit) to 2
            Else - Actions
            If - Conditions
                (Integer((Distance between (Position of (Attacking unit)) and (Position of (Attacked unit))))) Greater than or equal to 700
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Set level of Inaccurate Guns  for (Attacking unit) to 1
            Else - Actions

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.