Tutorial Reducing Map File Sizes

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Tutorial - Reducing Map File Sizes

Don't you hate playing maps with HUGE file sizes? Well this should teach you how to avoid using insanely high map file sizes for maps.

B.NET Requirements
Battle.net requires a maximum file size for maps of about 8mb (megabytes).

File Size Key
[[ The description is based on proportion to the 8mb mapsize limit. ]]
Bytes - Tiny (1024 in a KB) [[ Max: 8388608b ]]
Kilobytes - Small (1024 in a MB) [[ Max: 8192kb ]]
Megabytes - Large (1024 in a GB) [[ Max: 8mb ]]

Imports
Most maps only get a high file size by imports. By importing you are making you're maps file size bigger. When you import stuff, make sure you check the file size.

Removing Useless Imports
When you look at you're imports, you will look at some .BLP and .MDX files that you may not use. If you don't use a model or a BLP file, you should probally remove it from you're game. If you see a .BLP that is higher than 100KB and you are not going to use it, I suggest remove that file. Removing even 100KB can make a difference.

Avoid Using
Large music files, people usually use '.midi' for game files because often they are small and great for games if you do not want a gigantic file-size. Many file-sizes may vary though based on the bit-rate and play-time of the audio.

Unnecessary models, if you imported a model that is not very necessary for your game overall, delete it. You can save a lot of space by deleting un-needed or unused models.

Vexorians Map Optimizer
Map Optimization can lower you're map size also, and keep it protected from people trying to steal you're map.
Download Here
Note: Be sure to backup you're map before Optimizing it, or else you most likely won't be able to re-edit you're map again.

Very simple, yet some people don't understand I bet.

Tonks

Reaction score
You should mention Vexorian's Map Optimizer as a method of reducing file size.

Otherwise, it's more of a tips 'n tricks kind of thing. Too small to be a tutorial, it really should cover more material.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
You should also mention to avoid massing your map with WEU add-ons, because some people add on every single feature they can find and already their map is too big :p

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Warn them that they won't be able to open their map again after they optimize, so they need a working copy.

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

Maybe you should make a list of all the programs that can make your map smaller in file size, such as heavy lock (yes it does do that). Also converting gui triggers to jass makes the file size smaller, or at least makes it run smoother. I have done it to some of my maps and it reduces lag and i swear made people dl faster. Just make sure u mention that if u convert it, unless you can use jass then you cant ever change that trigger again:eek:

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Also converting gui triggers to jass makes the file size smaller, or at least makes it run smoother. I have done it to some of my maps and it reduces lag and i swear made people dl faster. Just make sure u mention that if u convert it, unless you can use jass then you cant ever change that trigger again:eek:

It doesn't do anything at all, even if you tested it. GUI is just an interface for JASS so converting it would just make the triggers JASS and un-editable if you don't know it. WE already converts GUI to JASS so it won't make a difference at all. Basically, it doesn't do anything at all.

Yes, I know; major circular reasoning. :D

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

sniff........:( it works for me......no idea if it really works but it seems to help me and some others that i know.........only trying to help:(

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Hi~Ricky

Maybe you should make a list of all the programs that can make your map smaller in file size, such as heavy lock (yes it does do that). Also converting gui triggers to jass makes the file size smaller, or at least makes it run smoother. I have done it to some of my maps and it reduces lag and i swear made people dl faster. Just make sure u mention that if u convert it, unless you can use jass then you cant ever change that trigger again:eek:
Well it's a bad idea to use more than one optimizer/protector on a map. Using Vexorian's kind of gives the best results so mentioning it is enough.

Converting triggers to Jass slightly changes the map's structure (Jass is pure text while triggers are stored differently). However the map is likely to be smaller before converting.
Then again if you do know Jass you can optimize the code and make it smaller.
On the other hand if you don't converting will make things much harder for you.
In either case Vexorian's optimizer will get the most out of this part. The only thing you need to worry about is keeping imports to the minimum.

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
the max file size has been raise to 8mb with the new patch change that too in your post.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.