Referring to values in extended tooltip for units

PegaLeveBrZ

Reaction score
Hello mappers,

I was making a stronghold-type map but as the number of creeps increases, balancing issues force me to change creep hitpoints etc constantly. :banghead:
I would like, however, to correctly inform of these values in the text tooltip and the creep hiring house.

I am aware spell tooltips can refer to raw values in the text (as in <Ainf,DataA1,%> and so on), is there any way to do the same with unit hitpoints, damage, etc?

PegaLeveBrZ

Reaction score
Update: I think I've nailed it.

By displaying raw data in the object editor (CTRL+D), I could see the unit's names, and so I added a string like this in the tooltip:
Code:
<o000:ogru,HP>
Where o000: ogru is the unit's "real" name

And it worked so far.

Hope this post helps someone else someday, so I don't feel like I'm spamming this forum! I did search for a previous thread about this, but didn't find one.

Smitty

Reaction score
This is something I want to know about too, can this be extended to spell tooltips showing damage, cooldown etc?

StEaLtHmAn

Reaction score
Hey you learn something new every day!!

Tooltips can get any value from any unit, spell, item, etc

For an example here is the priests heal spell tooltip edited:

Input:
Code:
Heals a target friendly non-mechanical wounded unit.|n|nRange: <Ahea,Rng1>|nCooldown: <Ahea,Cool1>|nAmount: <Ahea,DataA1>

Output:
Code:
Heals a target friendly non-mechanical wounded unit.

Range: 250
Cooldown: 1
Amount: 25

You can do even more!!

Input:
Code:
Heals a target friendly non-mechanical wounded unit.|n|nPriest HP: <hmpr,HP>|nPriest Mana: <hmpr,manaN>

Output:
Code:
Heals a target friendly non-mechanical wounded unit.

Priest HP: 290
Priest Mana: 200
So yes it took the value from the priest and put it on the spells tooltip.

Q - HOW DO YOU KNOW THE CODE?
A - Simple

As PegaLeveBrZ said you press (Ctrl-D) in the object editor then in the tooltip you type:
"<" + Unit/Item/Spell Code + "," + ValueCode + ">"

- the Unit/Item/Spell Code can be found on the right of the object editor, EG: "hpea (Peasant)" hpea will be the code for the peasant.
- the ValueCode can be found in each Unit/Item/Spell property section., EG: "Name", "Hotkey", "HP", etc...

P.S: the values seem to only take integers, so reals will be rounded down. "0.99" will become "0"
if anyone knows how to get real values please let me know.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
I'm quoting something I posted elsewhere:

Those codes, actually do have a form of reference.
The first section is the abilities "name", and the second part is the Data Field.

Eg. Aerial Shackles (The very first ability in the OE)
It's tooltip states the following:
"Magically binds a target enemy air unit, so that it cannot move or attack and takes <Amls,DataA1> damage per second. |nLasts <Amls,Dur1> seconds."

Note that 'Amls' is the "name" for Aerial Shackles.
The fields 'DataA1' and 'Dur1' are basically just the fields of that ability.

To view the field names, simply press Control + D.

So for example you wanted the tooltip to say the Mana Cost aswel, you could just add "Mana Cost: <Amls,Cost1>" in the tooltip.

Note that in 'Dur1' the 1 refers to the level of the ability, and in the case of there being multiple levels, you could use 'Dur2' or 'Dur3'. This makes life easier as you are able to use the AutoFill function instead of typing out each tooltip.

Personally I have found this works better on default spells/abilities.
It does work with most custom/copied spells but at times the code does become slighly confusing or bugged.

Hope this helps, let me know if there is anything you don't understand.

Can you use values that arent even on the ability?
You sure?
I will test it in a second.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Can you use values that arent even on the ability?
You sure?
I will test it in a second.

Take a look at the default Force of Nature. There are fields in that ability referring to the damage of Treants, and those fields don't even appear in Unit Editor.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Take a look at the default Force of Nature. There are fields in that ability referring to the damage of Treants, and those fields don't even appear in Unit Editor.

Oh, yeah your right. They tend to do that with most of the Spawn abilities. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.